Reload this Page >

Legal Advice Needed - Duabi

Legal Advice Needed - Duabi

Old Dec 23rd 2013, 12:14 pm
Just Joined

inneedofhelp is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Legal Advice Needed - Duabi

Hi

This is my first post here and I am actually asking on behalf of my brother in law. So i apologise if i break any forum rules within my post.

My brother-in-law moved to Dubai from Pakistan a couple of years ago and after passing his driving test he was working as a cargo driver for a local company owned by another Pakistani.

In the time he was working there he bought a truck from a third party and registered it with the company he was working for, this is the company that also gave him is visa. My brother-in-law has documentation of whom he bought the vehicle from etc but because he was not a resident he could not register it under his name.

He eventually went back to Pakistan without his visa renewed. The company owner said he would have his visa renewed as soon as possible and send him the details so my brother in law could come back to Dubai.

My brother-in-law gave the keys of his vehicle to someone else to use whilst he was away (i presume he was insured etc) .

The current situation stands as follows:

My brother-in-laws visa has been barred because the company owner claims he owes him money (which is a incorrect). My brother-in-law has tried to get a visa via a different company also who have told him that is the reason why the duabi gov won't issue him a visa.

When i have called person my brother-in-law worked for to try and find out what is going on he has told me that the vehicle is legally his and it belongs to him and my brother in law has no right over it .

He has also said that the reason my brother-in-laws visa is barred is because the person who he gave the vehicle to to drive had an accident and then didn't stop. Thus the Dubai government have implicated my brother-in-law in this case and thus his visa has been barred. The person who was driving the car said that there was an incident however the police did not attend as it was so minor there was no damage to either vehicle.

All i really need to know is whom can i try and contact stuck here in the UK that can shed some light on the matter from a legal basis.

ie

1) what is the case against my brother-in-law and why he cant get another visa.

2) was this accident ever reported to the police is it logged or is this guy just making this stuff up

3) The legal status of the vehicle.

I know i am not an expat and my brother-in-law is not a british expat but just hoping someone could help me out with some pointers.

Waseem
Old Dec 23rd 2013, 3:32 pm
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Legal Advice Needed - Duabi

Originally Posted by inneedofhelp
Hi

This is my first post here and I am actually asking on behalf of my brother in law. So i apologise if i break any forum rules within my post.

My brother-in-law moved to Dubai from Pakistan a couple of years ago and after passing his driving test he was working as a cargo driver for a local company owned by another Pakistani.

In the time he was working there he bought a truck from a third party and registered it with the company he was working for, this is the company that also gave him is visa. My brother-in-law has documentation of whom he bought the vehicle from etc but because he was not a resident he could not register it under his name.

He eventually went back to Pakistan without his visa renewed. The company owner said he would have his visa renewed as soon as possible and send him the details so my brother in law could come back to Dubai.

My brother-in-law gave the keys of his vehicle to someone else to use whilst he was away (i presume he was insured etc) .

The current situation stands as follows:

My brother-in-laws visa has been barred because the company owner claims he owes him money (which is a incorrect). My brother-in-law has tried to get a visa via a different company also who have told him that is the reason why the duabi gov won't issue him a visa.

When i have called person my brother-in-law worked for to try and find out what is going on he has told me that the vehicle is legally his and it belongs to him and my brother in law has no right over it .

He has also said that the reason my brother-in-laws visa is barred is because the person who he gave the vehicle to to drive had an accident and then didn't stop. Thus the Dubai government have implicated my brother-in-law in this case and thus his visa has been barred. The person who was driving the car said that there was an incident however the police did not attend as it was so minor there was no damage to either vehicle.

All i really need to know is whom can i try and contact stuck here in the UK that can shed some light on the matter from a legal basis.

ie

1) what is the case against my brother-in-law and why he cant get another visa.

2) was this accident ever reported to the police is it logged or is this guy just making this stuff up

3) The legal status of the vehicle.

I know i am not an expat and my brother-in-law is not a british expat but just hoping someone could help me out with some pointers.

Waseem

Lesson 1 in UAE, trust no one. He has been screwed royally and when it comes to cases against you in the UAE my advice is to leave it as by the time the lawyers have their money from you its cost twice as much as the truck.
Old Dec 23rd 2013, 5:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

Can he not get back as a resident of one of the other Emirates?
Old Dec 23rd 2013, 5:56 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

How did your b.i.l purchase this vehicle?
Bank loan or Hire purchase or cash?
Why did he not have Residency having worked inDubai for some years?
Why did he register vehicle with his employer? Did he tell his employer
he was doing this?
The detail you give indicates your brother.i.law worked for a haulage
company.Dubai isn't the place for entrepreneurial relations.

Maybe he just needs to get up a little earlier in the morning.
Old Dec 24th 2013, 3:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Come back with a new passport.
Old Dec 24th 2013, 9:53 am
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

1) the claim is presumably bogus, but since someone has filed a claim, your bio now has to prove his innocence. This can take a long time, and he cannot work under a different visa until the claim has gone to court. Employers can be malicious in most GCC states, and pull this trick just to mess with employees. Why? Well, this is the GCC - because they can I guess.

2) Probably the guy driving the car didn't stop as he is probably not insured (unless your bio insured him?). So now it is your bil's fault.

3) If the vehicle was registered under the Company name, it belongs to the company, whoever paid for it. Your bil was a fool to do this. Sure, reasons behind why etc, but this move was foolish.

Your bil is now stuck in Pakistan? Best bet is as Millhouse says is to come back with a new passport, and new passport photos, assuming he wants to live in Dubai again. Personally I would suggest not to bother. There's other work in other GCC countries.
Old Dec 24th 2013, 3:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OriginalSunshine
3) If the vehicle was registered under the Company name, it belongs to the company, whoever paid for it. Your bil was a fool to do this. Sure, reasons behind why etc, but this move was foolish.
probably because it is not possible to register a truck to a (non-local) person in the UAE - has to be registered to a company.

The bit I don't understand is that if it was company registered, then it clearly was never owned by the BIL (using the official records). So, any insurance etc obligations would be that of the company, not the BIL.
Old Dec 24th 2013, 3:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
probably because it is not possible to register a truck to a (non-local) person in the UAE - has to be registered to a company.

The bit I don't understand is that if it was company registered, then it clearly was never owned by the BIL (using the official records). So, any insurance etc obligations would be that of the company, not the BIL.
if it was a ford pick up etc then you can register to an expat, but if its the usual "work horse" pick up trucks they can only be registered by companies etc.
Old Dec 25th 2013, 7:24 am
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Yup - that's a good point