Legal Advice

Old Aug 25th 2008, 7:31 pm
Just Joined

saj4d is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Legal Advice

Hi All,

I'm new to this forum, but have been reading previous threads and great to know that there is a wealth of knowledge and experience that is being shared.

The nature of my query is that I too have plans of moving to dubai and finding work, I purchased an apartment from a reputable estate agent a few years ago, I've received both a short and lengthy contracts from the developer. They both stated a completion date of December 2005 but then I was sent a letter stating an extension had been granted by Nakheel and that the development will be delayed by 6 months. Its now nearing the end of 2008 and its nowhere near complete. It probably won't be ready for at least another 12 -18 months providing there are no more setbacks.

It's messed all my plans up as I was hoping to move into the apartment and then look for jobs. I can't get any joy from the developer and they are non commital on completion dates when asked. I was wondering whether I can take any legal action and what the procedures would.

I appreciate any advice.
Old Aug 25th 2008, 9:58 pm
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Legal Advice

In which development is your apartment, out of interest? Getting on for four, maybe even five years is pretty impressively late, even for Dubai.

As for legal action... good luck. Sadly, this isn't the Western world, so things like consumer rights backed up by law and ombudsmen don't exist here.

There's a relatively new body called RERA, the Real Estate Regulatory Authority, which has an impressive name but very little in the way of actual power. You might as well start by directing a complaint to them, though.
Old Aug 25th 2008, 10:05 pm
Forum Regular

alexalexa is an unknown quantity at this point

maybe you should consult a lawyer in Dubai, hopefully he can help. Good luck!
Old Aug 25th 2008, 10:12 pm
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

Unless you can prove a case of breach of contract - and I'm just guessing here, but your contracts with the developer probably don't tie them down to delivering by any specific date - a lawyer won't do anything other than lighten your wallet.

It's just the way it is here. A developer can be as late as they like and investors just have to suck it up. The only hope of redress is to get a large group of investors together to drum up some negative publicity - viz. the recent issues with Dubai Lagoons.

Last edited by Eeyore; Aug 25th 2008 at 10:15 pm.
Old Aug 26th 2008, 4:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really nice

As mentioned, going down the legal route will get you nowhere other than a bit more out of pocket that you are at the moment. The development is delayed so in true Dubai style, you just need to get on with it.

Which development is it?

Try looking on the following forums for details on the development as other owners may have details on the completion dates, or have found out about the options and any compensation (unlikely) that has been offered:

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=377
Old Aug 26th 2008, 5:38 am
Just Joined

kellyloisgormley is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by saj4d
Hi All,

I'm new to this forum, but have been reading previous threads and great to know that there is a wealth of knowledge and experience that is being shared.

The nature of my query is that I too have plans of moving to dubai and finding work, I purchased an apartment from a reputable estate agent a few years ago, I've received both a short and lengthy contracts from the developer. They both stated a completion date of December 2005 but then I was sent a letter stating an extension had been granted by Nakheel and that the development will be delayed by 6 months. Its now nearing the end of 2008 and its nowhere near complete. It probably won't be ready for at least another 12 -18 months providing there are no more setbacks.

It's messed all my plans up as I was hoping to move into the apartment and then look for jobs. I can't get any joy from the developer and they are non commital on completion dates when asked. I was wondering whether I can take any legal action and what the procedures would.

I appreciate any advice.
You will be very unlikely to obtain compensation, however 'Eeyore' is correct in that you should direct your compaint to RERA initially.

Have a look into the Agreement for Sale which you would have been given, and see what the clause states re delays on the completion date - what 'get out card' have they used? Force Majore?

You will be very lucky to get any compensation at all, and if you wish to sell before the project completes be wary of the company buying the property back at a lower price than you can get on the open market.
Old Aug 26th 2008, 9:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Live for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud of

Sell it and make a fortune
Old Aug 26th 2008, 10:03 am
Soupy twist

I'm still intrigued to know which development this is in, given how late it is. The only one I can think of, given the Nakheel connection, is the Palm - but was that really originally slated to be complete by December 2005?
Old Aug 26th 2008, 11:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

unfortunately that is the risk of buying in this 'neck of the world' rules keep changing, and the goal posts keep moving, if they get built at all!
Old Aug 26th 2008, 1:59 pm
Just Joined

saj4d is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey thanx for all the posts and advice......

didn't think I'd get far with a legal case and was hoping sum1 had a similar experience. I appreciate with all the building work currently ongoin that projects would be delayed but just didn't expect a delay of nearly 3-4 years.

The unit I have purchased is in a development called the Windtower and located at the Jumerah Lake Towers.

Thanks Again
Old Aug 26th 2008, 2:08 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by saj4d
Hey thanx for all the posts and advice......

didn't think I'd get far with a legal case and was hoping sum1 had a similar experience. I appreciate with all the building work currently ongoin that projects would be delayed but just didn't expect a delay of nearly 3-4 years.

The unit I have purchased is in a development called the Windtower and located at the Jumerah Lake Towers.

Thanks Again
never heard of that one sorry, I know there are a few there that are open, a friend is leasing in Indigo Tower
Old Aug 26th 2008, 2:18 pm
Soupy twist

They were seriously projecting the Windtower as being *complete* in December 2005? We drive past it every day, and you're probably right in your assumption that it's a good year to 18 months (which probably means two years) away from completion.

JLT does seem to have had something of a chequered history. A guy we used to know bought there (not in the Windtower) probably around the same time as you, and once the shell of his apartment was built, he was able to blag his way onto the site to check it against the plans - he worked in the construction trade, which helped.

Anyway, he discovered that the apartment that had actually been built was significantly smaller than the one had had paid for; the maid's room wasn't even big enough to fit a single bed. He kicked up hell and was able to back out of the deal with a full refund, but only because he'd been able to check the place out while it was still a concrete shell, and because he knew enough of the right, influential people in the construction business.

Back in 2008, it seems that some residential towers at JLT still don't have phone, TV or internet service six months after opening.
Old Aug 26th 2008, 2:20 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Indigo is all set up and running with phones and stuff and the one next door to it, not sure about the others though
Old Aug 26th 2008, 2:24 pm
Soupy twist

Some of the residential towers definitely aren't connected yet - Du hasn't been able to gain access to start installing all the equipment. On the bright side, this makes them slightly - but only slightly - cheaper to rent.
Old Aug 26th 2008, 2:33 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by Eeyore
Some of the residential towers definitely aren't connected yet - Du hasn't been able to gain access to start installing all the equipment. On the bright side, this makes them slightly - but only slightly - cheaper to rent.
I wouldn't want to live there either way

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.