Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Left the country...should I try and help my company cancel my visa?

Left the country...should I try and help my company cancel my visa?

Old Aug 4th 2009, 6:48 pm
Banned

Moun10gurl is just really niceMoun10gurl is just really niceMoun10gurl is just really niceMoun10gurl is just really niceMoun10gurl is just really niceMoun10gurl is just really niceMoun10gurl is just really niceMoun10gurl is just really nice
Default Left the country...should I try and help my company cancel my visa?

Hi there,

I recently had to make a quick exit from the ME due to losing my job. I was very surprised to find that my company still paid me my final months salary though - which helped me pay my debt. However, I never had my visa cancelled and I feel really bad about it. Is there anything that I can do? Should I send them my passport (through 'official' routes) so that they can cancel properly? Is this something that could affect me at a later date?

Thank you for your help!
Old Aug 4th 2009, 7:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Euc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Left the country...should I try and help my company cancel my visa?

It will just become invalid after 6 months, no consequences for you as long as your company agrees to this.

No reason to feel bad about it, why on earth would you?
Old Aug 4th 2009, 7:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

but it is better to do it person, as the company need to cancel and collect deposits/dues etc. as long as the company is fine about just send them your passport.
Old Aug 4th 2009, 7:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by busybee2
but it is better to do it person, as the company need to cancel and collect deposits/dues etc. as long as the company is fine about just send them your passport.
Instead of sending the passport, a better option would be the labour card, non???
Old Aug 4th 2009, 9:48 pm
Just Joined

TravelLover007 is an unknown quantity at this point

hi there...
if u really want very sincere quit from your company then u hv following 2 options....

1. Send passport here in dubai, and process for visa cancellation.
2. don't do any thing, ur visa will b cancelled automatically after 6 months.

In 1st option, everything will b legal and as per procedures. in this case u'll get visa cancelled. and ur eployer will get replacement visa against ur cancellation.

In 2nd option, ur company's one visa will b blocked for 6 months. after 6 months your company has to file absonding case. and in this case u'll get one year bann.

IN FUTURE IF U WANT TO COME AGAIN DUBAI, THEN GO FOR OPTION-1 ( or if possible u come dubai just for few days and process ur visa cancellation and go back)
Old Aug 5th 2009, 5:14 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Confucius
Instead of sending the passport, a better option would be the labour card, non???
Immigration need a passport to cancel the visa. Personally I would just let it expire.
Old Aug 5th 2009, 5:44 am
Just Joined

London Lad is an unknown quantity at this point

Sending Off your passport always sounds like a risky thing to do. Even more so if you are sending it out of the UK.

If you do not plan to return to the UAE within 12-months then let the 6-month lapse and subsequent 12-month ban happen. Also I heard on the radio a few days ago that there may be a change in the labour law with regards to the 12-month ban and they were talking about a way in which this period can be waivered.

Didn't get the specifics as the story was ending as I tuned in but may be worth doing some research to check what the 'latest' law is.

Hope this is useful.
Old Aug 5th 2009, 7:39 am
Banned

Moun10gurl is just really niceMoun10gurl is just really niceMoun10gurl is just really niceMoun10gurl is just really niceMoun10gurl is just really niceMoun10gurl is just really niceMoun10gurl is just really niceMoun10gurl is just really nice

Thank you all for your responses - I didn't know that the visa would just expire after 6 months. Even though I don't owe the company anything after the way they treated me I still did not want them to 'lose' that visa. If they can still use it after 6 months then that is no big deal. I wont want to return anytime soon so I guess I will just cut contact.

Thank you all again!
Old Aug 5th 2009, 9:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Jim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
Immigration need a passport to cancel the visa. Personally I would just let it expire.
As the gentleman appears to be debt free surely route 1. would benefit him in the future should he want to return to this area to work. And of course he has the satisfaction of doing it correctly, which will also benefit his previous employer.

Also I seem to remember "Little Jimmy" had problems in Doha as his UAE visa wasn't cancelled when he left?