Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Left Company , Still owe rent loan - can they chase ?

Left Company , Still owe rent loan - can they chase ?

Old Aug 29th 2010, 5:41 am
Just Joined

7320matt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default l

l

Last edited by 7320matt; Aug 29th 2010 at 6:54 am.
Old Aug 29th 2010, 5:44 am
Banned

Bijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Left Company , Still owe rent loan - can they chase ?

A visa is a matter between you and the immigration authorities and a debt is a matter between you and a lending institution - so how can cancellation of a visa have any effect on a debt?
Old Aug 29th 2010, 5:47 am
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 7320matt
Hi,

I left my employer last year in August, I left them owing a large amount of money for a rent loan.

since leaving no one has chased me, I have not made any payments and I recieved a letter last week asking me to make a payment or they will pursue me through the courts.

is this possible?, i was sure when a visa is cancelled all financial ties are severed and you both basically agree to walk away from each other.

Can anyone confirm.
Sounds obvious - but did you have a loan agreement with terms etc or does your contract stipulate what should happen regarding repayment of the loan?

Was the cash given to you or paid direct to the landlord?

Was the loan agreement between you and the company or between you and a bank?

etc, etc...

Any more detail?
Old Aug 29th 2010, 5:53 am
Just Joined

;

Last edited by 7320matt; Aug 29th 2010 at 6:53 am.
Old Aug 29th 2010, 5:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

The Rent loan was given by the company to me in Cash paid into my account, I then paid the land lord for the years rent.

There was a standard agreement which said they would deduct it monthly from my salary. when i left they offsetted what was owed to me off it and it left a balance.

No banks were involved, my contract doesnt state anything about a rent loan as it was something out side my employment contract.
Are you still in the Emirates?
Old Aug 29th 2010, 5:57 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse
Are you still in the Emirates?
yes still here
Old Aug 29th 2010, 6:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

they are threatening with going through solicitors to recover the money, I just want to know if they are likley to be able to get any where?

I know what courts etc are like out here and are they really going to be that worried about it all.

Anyone recommend a good solicitor to give advice.
If you want to stay and if you can, pay it. Otherwise you need to talk to them.

Are you still in the house?
Old Aug 29th 2010, 6:04 am
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

they are threatening with going through solicitors to recover the money, I just want to know if they are likley to be able to get any where?

I know what courts etc are like out here and are they really going to be that worried about it all.

You borrowed money from them, why would you think you don't need to pay them back? I appreciate that you used it to pay rent and it's a fecked up way of doing it out here...but the company didn't dictate what you do with the money, they lent it in good faith. Come to agreement and pay them what you owe.
Old Aug 29th 2010, 6:13 am
Down and out

ctfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, they can chase you legally and very effectively. I know this because an employee of mine left without refunding money owed for housing advance and I had her summoned to court within a week. You will be summoned to a court hearing, if you don't turn up an arrest warrant will be issued.

You may however be able to negotiate a reduce settlement or payment terms over a few months. In my experience they are pretty reasonable.

If you really want a laywer, Al Tamimi are very good (you'll need a local firm) but sounds to like your position is indefensible.
Old Aug 29th 2010, 6:30 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

The Rent loan was given by the company to me in Cash paid into my account, I then paid the land lord for the years rent.

There was a standard agreement which said they would deduct it monthly from my salary. when i left they offsetted what was owed to me off it and it left a balance.

No banks were involved, my contract doesnt state anything about a rent loan as it was something out side my employment contract.
You technically owe your ex-employer money and are still here? Then you can expect to hear from the police. If the company can demonstrate that you are in debt to them and not repaying, then they can file a police case against you.

I strongly recommned that you speak to them about repaying the money as as soon as possible.
Old Aug 29th 2010, 6:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The prognosis doesn't look good Matt.

Your options are:

1) Run for the dunes;
2) Call 'em up and tell them how you are going to repay;
3) Borrow from another mug and repay them;
4) Sublet the flat asap and use those proceeds to pay them back - maybe become a slum landlord?
Old Aug 29th 2010, 6:45 am