Lebanon

Old Sep 18th 2004, 4:18 am
Banned

DanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to all
Smile Lebanon

Hello there.

I guess I should introduce myself first, since this is my first post here. I'm Dan. I'm half-English (father's side), born in London, and currently residing in Canada (for 3 years now). I'm a university student in my last year of undergraduate studies.

I've lived in Lebanon for most of my life, as my dad was serving there during the Lebanese civil war.

During my long stay in Lebanon, I haven't met any Brits. I'm wondering if there are any??!? I'm thinking about moving back and doing my postgraduate research there, and probably staying there for good.

My other half is not Lebanese or Arab, but I do feel a strong connection to the culture and people of Lebanon, mainly because I've lost my dad to the civil war, and have experienced some very traumatic events/incidents.

Now my first question is: Any Brits on this forum who reside in Lebanon?! I know a lot of Americans who live and work there, but for some odd reason, no Brits... Or maybe I just haven't come across any?!

My second question is (and I know I should've probably asked this in the immigration section, but I thought I'd just ask here instead of starting a new thread): Even though I was born in the UK, I don't have British citizenship. My family moved to Lebanon when I was very young, and I lived there for more than 19 years (I'm 21). My dad was a citizen, but he passed away many many years ago. I don't really know much about British immigration laws, but... how would I go about getting citizenship? Do children of British citizens automatically get citizenship? If so, can I still get British citizenship based on the fact that my dad was a citizen? (I doubt this, because he's no longer alive, but it doesn't hurt to ask, I suppose).

Dan
Old Sep 20th 2004, 9:29 am
Simply Brilliant

Cherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really nice
Default Re: Lebanon

Originally Posted by DanMarsden
Hello there.

My second question is (and I know I should've probably asked this in the immigration section, but I thought I'd just ask here instead of starting a new thread): Even though I was born in the UK, I don't have British citizenship. My family moved to Lebanon when I was very young, and I lived there for more than 19 years (I'm 21). My dad was a citizen, but he passed away many many years ago. I don't really know much about British immigration laws, but... how would I go about getting citizenship? Do children of British citizens automatically get citizenship? If so, can I still get British citizenship based on the fact that my dad was a citizen? (I doubt this, because he's no longer alive, but it doesn't hurt to ask, I suppose).

Dan
Hi Dan

Not sure if you've posted and had a response to this in immigration forum already but as far as I am aware, you should be able to get British citizenship if you have documents showing paternity and the fact that your father's British. Rules do change but I'm sure it can be conferred through mother or father. Try this link
http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/ind...tizenship.html

Good Luck.
Old Sep 20th 2004, 10:32 am
Banned

DanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to all
Default Re: Lebanon

Oooh!! Thanks for the link, Cherrypie!!

It seems like I was born quite on time (only two months after Jan 1. 1983!).

I'm very happy now!!