Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Leaving Dubai for summer holiday - not coming back..

Leaving Dubai for summer holiday - not coming back..

Old Jul 21st 2009, 5:39 pm
Just Joined

byedxb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Leaving Dubai for summer holiday - not coming back..

Hi

I'm leaving Dubai in a week, going for a nice 3 week summer holiday back home.

However, I've been offered a job back home - better position, better pay, better prospects. I am planning on telling people once I'm back in the UK & have cleaned out my pay from my UAE account!

I am supposed to do 12 months then am able to give 3 months notice according to the contract I received today (and not signed due to all of the above). I am only 7 months into it, but don't want to pass up this opportunity.

Do you think the company will pursue me? What comeback could there be on me?

nb. I have no debts in the UAE, I'm in rented accom. which ends just before I go home, have a leased car which I'll take back..
Old Jul 21st 2009, 5:55 pm
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Leaving Dubai for summer holiday - not coming back..

Originally Posted by byedxb
Hi

However, I've been offered a job back home - better position, better pay, better prospects. I am planning on telling people once I'm back in the UK & have cleaned out my pay from my UAE account!

I am supposed to do 12 months then am able to give 3 months notice according to the contract I received today (and not signed due to all of the above). I am only 7 months into it, but don't want to pass up this opportunity.

nb. I have no debts in the UAE, I'm in rented accom. which ends just before I go home, have a leased car which I'll take back..
you are a troll i suspect. you join up just to tell us this? sorry, but i don't believe your post.
Old Jul 21st 2009, 6:01 pm
Just Joined

byedxb is an unknown quantity at this point

i'm not trolling. you'd know if i was trolling.

ok so i take it your answer is 'FA will happen'.

second question then - tax liability - i'm earning a normal wage wage (20k dhs inc. of all housing allowances etc), being paid into a standard bank account here, not salting away loads. as i'm not out of the UK for 183 days, am i liable for tax on anything earned? how will they tell??
Old Jul 21st 2009, 6:11 pm
Banned

eylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to all

You are liable for tax on all you've earned as you have not been out of the country for a full tax year.
My advice, for what it's worth, contact your tax office and come clean and arrange to pay it off.
They'll give you a schedule of payments.
If they find out later they will come after you, It will be up to you to try to prove why you should not have paid your tax,
gulity until proven innocent.

As for you employers coming after you, no chance.
Works both ways as in if they sack you what redress would you have against them?
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 11:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by byedxb
Hi

Typical Dubai.............. a new employee has to wait SEVEN months before his 'new' contract is ready to be signed.

As for tax liability, as you have been away for such a short time, you may be able to convince the taxman, assuming he can be bothered with small fry like you at all (no offence, but they are after far bigger fish), that you have simply been travelling for a few months, visiting old friends, etc........ just be careful where you put any money you take away with you.
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 11:33 am
BE Enthusiast

banter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Autonomy
you are a troll i suspect. you join up just to tell us this? sorry, but i don't believe your post.
Ditto
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 12:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

coffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond repute

Yet another question on the UK TAX Law.
People really should start doing the reasearch .
There has been plenty of free advice given out by members over the last few weeks / months.
Is it me!!! or is it the same few mindless questions popping up all the time now.
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 12:52 pm
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by coffindodger
Is it me with the same few mindless questions popping up all the time now.
Yes, it's you.

Old Jul 22nd 2009, 1:49 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by coffindodger
Yet another question on the UK TAX Law.
People really should start doing the reasearch .
There has been plenty of free advice given out by members over the last few weeks / months.
Is it me!!! or is it the same few mindless questions popping up all the time now.
The same questions repeat every few weeks. Many even try & dispute the advice given to them as they don't want it to be true and few even bother to say thanks That's largely why I am largely not bothering to give free advice on board any more.

I also think it odd to post for the first time to say that the poster is running away.

-
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 7:26 am
BE Forum Addict

coffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Roadking
Yes, it's you.

Thats the nicest thing you have said about me.
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 10:58 am
Forum Regular

mantronic is just really nicemantronic is just really nicemantronic is just really nicemantronic is just really nicemantronic is just really nicemantronic is just really nicemantronic is just really nicemantronic is just really nicemantronic is just really nicemantronic is just really nicemantronic is just really nice

GTFO of there before you turn into one of the living dead regulars you get on this forum.

Michael Jackson would still be alive and recording thriller 2 if he knew there was such a collection to decaying zombies to be had all in one place.
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 11:00 am
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mantronic
GTFO of there before you turn into one of the living dead regulars you get on this forum.

Michael Jackson would still be alive and recording thriller 2 if he knew there was such a collection to decaying zombies to be had all in one place.
Hello boytronic, how's life in your deluded world?
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 11:07 am
Forum Regular

mantronic is just really nicemantronic is just really nicemantronic is just really nicemantronic is just really nicemantronic is just really nicemantronic is just really nicemantronic is just really nicemantronic is just really nicemantronic is just really nicemantronic is just really nicemantronic is just really nice

Originally Posted by Roadking
Hello boytronic, how's life in your deluded world?

heh heh .. forgotten what life is like on the outside hey homer! What you call utopia I call aus .. and what you call hell I call Dubai.

Do you know anyone there that doesnt deserve the pasting they are getting. I know for a fact the regulars you will see reply to me have it coming .... and that is supremely gratifying to me.

In fact your plight has been 12 months of positve reinforcement for me ... so you havent suffered in vain ... from where I stand at least.
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 11:17 am
If I have to explain...

heh heh .. forgotten what life is like on the outside hey homer! What you call utopia I call aus .. and what you call hell I call Dubai.

Do you know anyone there that doesnt deserve the pasting they are getting. I know for a fact the regulars you will see reply to me have it coming .... and that is supremely gratifying to me.

In fact your plight has been 12 months of positve reinforcement for me ... so you havent suffered in vain ... from where I stand at least.
No thanks, perfectly able to recall the good life I had elsewhere. Also enjoying a good life here, so not a lot of suffering for you to gloat over. I don't actually know anyone here getting a pasting, but that could be the circle of people I know. i do know a few Ozzies who are bemoaning the state of play down under, but I guess your ivory tower is so far removed from that. Hey ho, time to start the weekend me thinks, it's after 3pm on a Thursday.
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 11:36 am
If I have to explain...

Great ... time to give back the remnants of the table scraps the arabs have given you.

Seriously the guantanamo bay isolation cases have a better idea what is going on in the real world. But in fairness Im sure you deserve it just as much as they do.
You're boring man; get past it, get a life and grow up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.