British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Leaving Dubai (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/leaving-dubai-616425/)

ipods Jun 23rd 2009 2:38 pm

Leaving Dubai

Despite our best efforts regarding jobs, we are giving up and leaving Dubai in July.

Does anybody have any info Re Lease terminations and refund of rent paid.

Like most we paid in One cheque. Is there any guidlines from RERA on this, Ie how many months rent penalty, and how long you have to wait for the refund, also the additional 'Service charge' they levy for the priviledge.

Intending to call Rera call centre but any advance info appreciated.

Also is it possible to check if you have any debt lodged against you with immigration.

Blue Cat Jun 23rd 2009 2:51 pm

Re: Leaving Dubai

Originally Posted by ipods (Post 7691306)
Despite our best efforts regarding jobs, we are giving up and leaving Dubai in July.

Does anybody have any info Re Lease terminations and refund of rent paid.

Like most we paid in One cheque. Is there any guidlines from RERA on this, Ie how many months rent penalty, and how long you have to wait for the refund, also the additional 'Service charge' they levy for the priviledge.

Intending to call Rera call centre but any advance info appreciated.

Also is it possible to check if you have any debt lodged against you with immigration.

sorry to hear this :(

with regards to the rent it depends what is written in your lease, ours said we had to give three months notice which we did and we got the remaining 6 months returned. RERA won't be able to help, you need to speak to the landlord about the situation.

Immigration are only informed of debts if there is a court case agaist you, you will be fine.

ipods Jun 23rd 2009 3:54 pm

Lease is silent, other than referring to a penalty.
Only timeframe refers to lease renewal.

We have no debt. But company took 6 weeks to sort wifes visa which extended beyond latest date and would have incurred a penalty. Company say they have paid fines.
Also we received a legal letter regarding our temporary accommodation coz the company had not paid the bill. They say it has now been settled

Dont want a problem at the airport when we leave so want to check in advance. Is that possible and who do we check with

Shadya Jun 23rd 2009 4:03 pm

...and so it begins.:(

Blue Cat Jun 24th 2009 1:53 am

Originally Posted by ipods (Post 7691564)
Lease is silent, other than referring to a penalty.
Only timeframe refers to lease renewal.

We have no debt. But company took 6 weeks to sort wifes visa which extended beyond latest date and would have incurred a penalty. Company say they have paid fines.
Also we received a legal letter regarding our temporary accommodation coz the company had not paid the bill. They say it has now been settled

Dont want a problem at the airport when we leave so want to check in advance. Is that possible and who do we check with

was temp accom in your name or Company name? ask for proof that it has been paid. As for the visa they would have had to pay the fines in order for the visa to be issued. You won't get stopped.

Kindah Jun 24th 2009 2:00 pm

Hello, I am a sky news producer in Dubai and I am interested in speaking to people who are leaving Dubai...if you would like to speak to me, call me on 0566932155 or email me on [email protected], [email protected]

thanks!!

Shadya Jun 24th 2009 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by Kindah (Post 7695177)
Hello, I am a sky news producer in Dubai and I am interested in speaking to people who are leaving Dubai...if you would like to speak to me, call me on 0566932155 or email me on [email protected], [email protected]

thanks!!

If you really are, surely you would be able to write the name of your company correctly?

Blue Cat Jun 24th 2009 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by Shadya (Post 7695335)
If you really are, surely you would be able to write the name of your company correctly?

Jesus Shadya, get a life!

Kindah Jun 24th 2009 2:39 pm

Im not sure I understand, Sky News is the correct name of my company!

NorthernLad Jun 24th 2009 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by Kindah (Post 7695350)

Maybe she means the email address (and yes, I know it is bskyb).

Blue Cat Jun 25th 2009 4:57 am

Originally Posted by Kindah (Post 7695350)

did you chase up the Banana Man :p

Kindah Jun 25th 2009 5:01 am

The banana man?! Have I missed something here!

Blue Cat Jun 25th 2009 5:10 am

Originally Posted by Kindah (Post 7697347)
The banana man?! Have I missed something here!

they guy who owned Blue Banana, done a runner :eek:

Kindah Jun 25th 2009 5:22 am

That is a really good story...too bad they have already returned to the UK...did you know them?

Blue Cat Jun 25th 2009 5:24 am

Originally Posted by Kindah (Post 7697380)
That is a really good story...too bad they have already returned to the UK...did you know them?

no I didn't know them, shows how quick a business can hit the wall here though doesn't it. They won't be the first or the last in this situation that I am sure of. Going to jail for debt is not the way forward.