Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Leasing a share in a race horse

Leasing a share in a race horse

Old Apr 10th 2008, 9:33 am
  #1  
Concierge
Thread Starter
 
Blue Cat's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 29,625
Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Leasing a share in a race horse

some of you are aware that last year I leased a share in a racehorse via EERC. I had always followed Patsy's enthusiasm about the horse racing and thought I would give it a bash. Well I loved it!!! it was absolutely fantastic and something that I honestly didn't think I would enjoy as much as I did The new EERC brochure is out and shares are selling fast. If any one is interested I can e mail you a copy of the brochure, so PM me your e mail ID. Prices start at 1750 dhs for a lease share for the season. This doesn't include tickets to the World Cup though, to get into that you need to either buy them yourself or join up with SILKS. Patsy and MM are both Silks members so they can explain how that works.

Just thought some of you might find this an interesting new hobby
Blue Cat is offline  
Old Apr 10th 2008, 9:37 am
  #2  
BE Forum Addict
 
Patsy Stoned's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Dubai
Posts: 4,403
Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Leasing a share in a race horse

Actually, we are not Silks members, we are members of the Dubai Racing Club and Silks is the Name of the Members lounge and bar
Nitpicky I know, but when the World Cup comes around we, as DRC members, get complimentary tickets into Silks and other people have to buy the tickets
Patsy Stoned is offline  
Old Apr 10th 2008, 9:40 am
  #3  
Concierge
Thread Starter
 
Blue Cat's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 29,625
Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Leasing a share in a race horse

oops! told you I didn't know much about that side of things! yes as members of the EERC syndicate World Cup tickets aren't included, we just buy them when they are released for sale. I didn't go this year but will be there next year for sure
Blue Cat is offline  
Old Apr 10th 2008, 10:43 am
  #4  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Madam Medusa's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 18,187
Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Leasing a share in a race horse

Originally Posted by Blue Cat View Post
oops! told you I didn't know much about that side of things! yes as members of the EERC syndicate World Cup tickets aren't included, we just buy them when they are released for sale. I didn't go this year but will be there next year for sure
so really, it's much better value just to get the membership...sod leasing a hair on a horse's tail...

MM, xx
Madam Medusa is offline  
Old Apr 10th 2008, 10:45 am
  #5  
Concierge
Thread Starter
 
Blue Cat's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 29,625
Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Leasing a share in a race horse

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa View Post
so really, it's much better value just to get the membership...sod leasing a hair on a horse's tail...

MM, xx
depends I suppose, I like being able to have access to the paddock if one of the horses is racing, and I love Jebel Ali racecourse. Your package doesn't include the Jebel Ali meets. I think the DRC one is more for the social side of things. We have regular stable tours as well, it is more horsey so to say!!! either way it's great fun!
Blue Cat is offline  
Old Apr 10th 2008, 11:33 am
  #6  
A bubbly-jock...
 
MacScot's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Teneriffe
Posts: 6,262
MacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Leasing a share in a race horse

Originally Posted by Blue Cat View Post
some of you are aware that last year I leased a share in a racehorse...
Had a one-tenth lease share on a racehorse in Melbourne. Ended up being a rip off or an expensive hobby. The share costs were used mostly for stabling and training. The horse was 16 hands high - probably too big to win anything - it never did. However, if you can get a share on a horse that has very good potential, that may be a different story.

...though, while it lasted - it was great to say you owned a race horse (even though it was a share).
MacScot is offline  
Old Apr 10th 2008, 11:39 am
  #7  
Concierge
Thread Starter
 
Blue Cat's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 29,625
Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Leasing a share in a race horse

I agree it can get quite pricey when you actually own a share. I have both I have a share in a horse in the UK which is costing me 20 quid a month which is nothing. Here I can either get a share and pay all costs etc or just lease one and never pay another Dirham and if that horse wins I still get a share of the winnings! Some friends who invested last year got their return within months. Horse racing is a gamble, but if you lease then there is no risk.
Blue Cat is offline  
Old Apr 10th 2008, 11:44 am
  #8  
BE Forum Addict
 
Patsy Stoned's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Dubai
Posts: 4,403
Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Leasing a share in a race horse

Originally Posted by Blue Cat View Post
depends I suppose, I like being able to have access to the paddock if one of the horses is racing, and I love Jebel Ali racecourse. Your package doesn't include the Jebel Ali meets. I think the DRC one is more for the social side of things. We have regular stable tours as well, it is more horsey so to say!!! either way it's great fun!
What a total load of B*llock BC............if I wanted to go to the paddock, I have enough friends who are proper owners..ie they own the whole horse, not just 1500dhs of it! I can also go to Jebel Ali any time I like..lets face it sweetie, at JA you can just go and sit on the grass..If you wanted to do such a thing!!! JA doesn't have a bar..enough said!!!
I have seen you all in the paddock darling.........usually it is 1 horse,1 trainer,1 jockey and 1 owner or the owner with family, but I saw you syndicate lot in the paddock..as above only 28 very small part owners!!! I 'm not knocking it sweetie, it is a cheap way to be involved without paying 5000dhs for membership to the DRC.

As a member of DRC I know the horses that are running, their fitness,their rating, handicaps, Sires and Dames and any other info I need to enjoy the racing. I am at the races every single meeting and have been for the last 4 seasons..even when DRC had less than 100 members, some nights in the winter when it was p*ssing down with rain there were only 6 or 7 of us there.

I was asked this year if I would like to be part owner of a racehorse but it would have cost me 10,000sterling so I declined and that was just for a leg of the horse..not for 0.5% of 1.
Oh and correct me if I am wrong BC but the horse you paid your 1400dhs for hasn't raced yet has it???
Patsy Stoned is offline  
Old Apr 10th 2008, 11:51 am
  #9  
BE Forum Addict
 
Patsy Stoned's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Dubai
Posts: 4,403
Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Leasing a share in a race horse

Originally Posted by Blue Cat View Post
I agree it can get quite pricey when you actually own a share. I have both I have a share in a horse in the UK which is costing me 20 quid a month which is nothing. Here I can either get a share and pay all costs etc or just lease one and never pay another Dirham and if that horse wins I still get a share of the winnings! Some friends who invested last year got their return within months. Horse racing is a gamble, but if you lease then there is no risk.
I hear you are working to promote Justin now sweetie..good for you.
Patsy Stoned is offline  
Old Apr 10th 2008, 11:51 am
  #10  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Abu Dhabi
Posts: 3,968
arbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Leasing a share in a race horse

5000AED for membership PS??

what do you get for that?
arbroath_abroad is offline  
Old Apr 10th 2008, 11:58 am
  #11  
BE Forum Addict
 
Patsy Stoned's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Dubai
Posts: 4,403
Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Leasing a share in a race horse

Originally Posted by arbroath_abroad View Post
5000AED for membership PS??

what do you get for that?
that is a joint membership, so you pay 2500dhs each
you get entrance to every race night through the season, which if you were coming as a guest of a member of the DWC would cost you 180dhs and there are approx 16 meetings. Members of DRC have 2 private boxes directly in line with the winning post and overlooking the paddock, their own bar and comp buffet.
You get invitations to the private launch parties for you and a guest throughout the year, comp ticket to the Desert Party before the DWC which is worth 1000dhs and a comp ticket to Silks for the DWC which is worth 1500dhs
Patsy Stoned is offline  
Old Apr 10th 2008, 11:59 am
  #12  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,287
admon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Leasing a share in a race horse

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned View Post
What a total load of B*llock BC............if I wanted to go to the paddock, I have enough friends who are proper owners..ie they own the whole horse, not just 1500dhs of it! I can also go to Jebel Ali any time I like..lets face it sweetie, at JA you can just go and sit on the grass..If you wanted to do such a thing!!! JA doesn't have a bar..enough said!!!
I have seen you all in the paddock darling.........usually it is 1 horse,1 trainer,1 jockey and 1 owner or the owner with family, but I saw you syndicate lot in the paddock..as above only 28 very small part owners!!! I 'm not knocking it sweetie, it is a cheap way to be involved without paying 5000dhs for membership to the DRC.

As a member of DRC I know the horses that are running, their fitness,their rating, handicaps, Sires and Dames and any other info I need to enjoy the racing. I am at the races every single meeting and have been for the last 4 seasons..even when DRC had less than 100 members, some nights in the winter when it was p*ssing down with rain there were only 6 or 7 of us there.

I was asked this year if I would like to be part owner of a racehorse but it would have cost me 10,000sterling so I declined and that was just for a leg of the horse..not for 0.5% of 1.
Oh and correct me if I am wrong BC but the horse you paid your 1400dhs for hasn't raced yet has it???
Ouch! Cat fight!
Sounds like someone has put someone else well and truly in their place...
admon is offline  
Old Apr 10th 2008, 12:00 pm
  #13  
Concierge
Thread Starter
 
Blue Cat's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 29,625
Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Leasing a share in a race horse

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned View Post
What a total load of B*llock BC............if I wanted to go to the paddock, I have enough friends who are proper owners..ie they own the whole horse, not just 1500dhs of it! I can also go to Jebel Ali any time I like..lets face it sweetie, at JA you can just go and sit on the grass..If you wanted to do such a thing!!! JA doesn't have a bar..enough said!!!
I have seen you all in the paddock darling.........usually it is 1 horse,1 trainer,1 jockey and 1 owner or the owner with family, but I saw you syndicate lot in the paddock..as above only 28 very small part owners!!! I 'm not knocking it sweetie, it is a cheap way to be involved without paying 5000dhs for membership to the DRC.

As a member of DRC I know the horses that are running, their fitness,their rating, handicaps, Sires and Dames and any other info I need to enjoy the racing. I am at the races every single meeting and have been for the last 4 seasons..even when DRC had less than 100 members, some nights in the winter when it was p*ssing down with rain there were only 6 or 7 of us there.

I was asked this year if I would like to be part owner of a racehorse but it would have cost me 10,000sterling so I declined and that was just for a leg of the horse..not for 0.5% of 1.
Oh and correct me if I am wrong BC but the horse you paid your 1400dhs for hasn't raced yet has it???
You don't have to be a member of DRC to find out that information Patsy it's all on the DRC website. Whilst you may know many owners at Nad Al Sheba not everyone does so they don't have access to the paddock etc by being members are DRC. Jaad didn't race this year no, not that it made a blind bit of difference to be as all I spent was 1400 dhs and that got me to every single race meeting anway. It was more of a social investment so to say. 40,000 quid for race horse is pretty cheap
Blue Cat is offline  
Old Apr 10th 2008, 12:01 pm
  #14  
Concierge
Thread Starter
 
Blue Cat's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 29,625
Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Leasing a share in a race horse

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned View Post
I hear you are working to promote Justin now sweetie..good for you.
you heard wrong Patsy, they are just good friends of mine
Blue Cat is offline  
Old Apr 10th 2008, 12:05 pm
  #15  
Its all good
 
Fairydust's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Dubai
Posts: 7,650
Fairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Leasing a share in a race horse

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned View Post
that is a joint membership, so you pay 2500dhs each
you get entrance to every race night through the season, which if you were coming as a guest of a member of the DWC would cost you 180dhs and there are approx 16 meetings. Members of DRC have 2 private boxes directly in line with the winning post and overlooking the paddock, their own bar and comp buffet.
You get invitations to the private launch parties for you and a guest throughout the year, comp ticket to the Desert Party before the DWC which is worth 1000dhs and a comp ticket to Silks for the DWC which is worth 1500dhs
So basically even if you only go to the Desert Party and Silks for DWC its paid for itself?? How many memberships do they have?
Fairydust is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.