British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Lease agreement issue (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/lease-agreement-issue-606727/)

Jeeper May 2nd 2009 8:22 am

Lease agreement issue

Missus' contract ends 1 june 09
Intends to vacate and notified landlord 1 may 09

Landlord replied saying she needs to give 2 months notice and therefore needs to pay 1 months more rent for the extra month.

2 conditions of contract relate to this:

1. contract is null and void 1 june 09
2. (in addedum) tenant is to give 2 months notice in event or renewal or termination of expiry date.

By termination of expiry date I would presume that means if you want to leave early?

is the rent for the extra month payable or is the lease expiry date still applicable?

Eva May 2nd 2009 8:46 am

Re: Lease agreement issue

Originally Posted by Jeeper (Post 7534698)

Landlord replied saying she needs to give 2 months notice and therefore needs to pay 1 months more rent for the extra month.

2. (in addedum) tenant is to give 2 months notice in event or renewal or termination of expiry date.

By termination of expiry date I would presume that means if you want to leave early?

Dunno if this helps much but I'm thinking LL should have been notified by 31 March of your intention to quit or renew.Leases imho usually require 2 sometimes 3 full months notice.
No clause in Lease agreement?
Thing is if you don't pay,they'll bugger you about with your deposit.

is the rent for the extra month payable or is the lease expiry date still applicable?

Confucius May 2nd 2009 8:47 am

Originally Posted by Jeeper (Post 7534698)

Use the deposit money to stay another 1 or 2 months...That's what we did back in the day...

Jeeper May 2nd 2009 8:52 am

Originally Posted by Confucius (Post 7534769)
Use the deposit money to stay another 1 or 2 months...That's what we did back in the day...

I think she'll require another months pay up front.....and still keep the deposit until end.

Doesn't matter too much as gives another month for rents to fall for new place...and landlord prob will get less as well for next years rent (if rented)

Confucius May 2nd 2009 8:55 am

Originally Posted by Jeeper (Post 7534784)
I think she'll require another months pay up front.....and still keep the deposit until end.

Doesn't matter too much as gives another month for rents to fall for new place...and landlord prob will get less as well for next years rent (if rented)

Correct...Am I right in assuming that you haven't spoken to him yet about an arrangement?

Jeeper May 2nd 2009 8:57 am

Originally Posted by Confucius (Post 7534793)
Correct...Am I right in assuming that you haven't spoken to him yet about an arrangement?

Gave notice and got reply to pay another months rent as per 2 months notice req'd....that's the only discussion on the termination matter so far.

Was interesting because a while ago we discussed negitating the rent down a bit and might stay another year.
landlrod replied saying we had it cheap for last year so it's only fair we pay a little bit more than market this year lol.:blink:

yeah right.

Confucius May 2nd 2009 9:01 am

Originally Posted by Jeeper (Post 7534798)
Gave notice and got reply to pay another months rent as per 2 months notice req'd....that's the only discussion on the termination matter so far.

Was interesting because a while ago we discussed negitating the rent down a bit and might stay another year.
landlrod replied saying we had it cheap for last year so it's only fair we pay a little bit more than market this year lol.:blink:

yeah right.

Tell him to come over and screw himself in the guest bathroom...

What I want to know is, if yolu pay for another month and stay during the notice period, will you be losing any money???

Blue Cat May 2nd 2009 9:01 am

Originally Posted by Jeeper (Post 7534798)

yeah right.

stretch the truth a bit and say you are leaving the UAE

Jeeper May 2nd 2009 9:03 am

Originally Posted by Confucius (Post 7534809)
Tell him to come over and screw himself in the guest bathroom...

What I want to know is, if yolu pay for another month and stay during the notice period, will you be losing any money???

no - we haven't sorted out a new place yet so it's no biggie - we just delay moving for a month.
The more I think about it the more it suits us actually.

Confucius May 2nd 2009 9:05 am

Originally Posted by Jeeper (Post 7534818)
no - we haven't sorted out a new place yet so it's no biggie - we just delay moving for a month.
The more I think about it the more it suits us actually.

Then there's no issue...

Jeeper May 2nd 2009 9:06 am

Originally Posted by Confucius (Post 7534824)
Then there's no issue...

No....so stop posting!
:p

Confucius May 2nd 2009 9:08 am

Originally Posted by Jeeper (Post 7534827)
No....so stop posting!
:p

The main point is why did you the start this thread in the first place???

Jeeper May 2nd 2009 9:10 am

Originally Posted by Confucius (Post 7534832)
The main point is why did you the start this thread in the first place???

Cause we wanted to move out end of the month. never considered staying on was an option.
Didn't want to stay extra at the higher rental rate anyway

So technically we pay higher rent than market for 1 month so technically yeah - we do lose a little.

but then over the past half hour thought about it a bit and it suits us to stay a little longer....

plus it gave you something to do for the past half hour....

Blue Cat May 2nd 2009 9:12 am

Originally Posted by Jeeper (Post 7534839)
Cause we wanted to move out end of the month. never considered staying on was an option.
Didn't want to stay extra at the higher rental rate anyway

So technically we pay higher rent than market for 1 month so technically yeah - we do lose a little.

but then over the past half hour thought about it a bit and it suits us to stay a little longer....

plus it gave you something to do for the past half hour....

it is definately to your advantage, just think how low the rents will have gone end of June :)

Jeeper May 2nd 2009 9:13 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 7534845)
it is definately to your advantage, just think how low the rents will have gone end of June :)

Agreed.