British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Learning to drive in the UAE (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/learning-drive-uae-689111/)

JB22 Oct 11th 2010 2:13 pm

Learning to drive in the UAE

If you do not hold a current driving licence has anyone got any advice or experience in this field? Would like to know costs, processes and obviously pitt falls. I think it would be best to learn in the UK but if time is not on your side then it's into the deep end.
P.S
We know that the road sense is not the same as western countries.

seven seas Oct 11th 2010 2:22 pm

Re: Learning to drive in the UAE

There's no point learning in the Uk, when you wan tto drive here.

Having said that, i imagine learning to drive here is a hellish nightmare.

busybee2 Oct 11th 2010 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by seven seas (Post 8911157)
There's no point learning in the Uk, when you wan tto drive here.

Having said that, i imagine learning to drive here is a hellish nightmare.

i disagree you should learn in the uk, as you will be taught to drive correctly and then that would hold you in good stead here, with a little thing called defensive driving. here if you learn you will learn all the bad habits and they also teach you differently.

also you will be learning in an automatic and still doesnt entitle you to drive anywhere else.

Bluelionesse Oct 11th 2010 5:17 pm

http://www.edcad.ae/sub_examinations.htm

Should find the info here, but no costs, maybe someone else could help out with that info?

MataHari Oct 12th 2010 4:04 am

funnily enough...the obvious thing is to call a driving center, for instance Belhasa 04 3243535...
they will tell you everything you need to bring (visa/passport/passport pics/non objection letter from sponsor, eyetest certificate), then you go there and they will open your RTA file, they will let you know how many lessons you will have to take, how many lectures, they will give you a schedule for this and then you just start doing the lessons...

MataHari Oct 12th 2010 4:06 am

oh...and I could tell you how much it costs...but since you are obviously old enough to drive, you should be able to make a phonecall and find out yourself...

JB22 Oct 12th 2010 7:15 am

Originally Posted by MataHari (Post 8912293)
oh...and I could tell you how much it costs...but since you are obviously old enough to drive, you should be able to make a phonecall and find out yourself...

Thanks, and yes I think I can manage to make a phone call.

Bahtatboy Oct 12th 2010 9:11 am

Originally Posted by JB22 (Post 8912543)
Thanks, and yes I think I can manage to make a phone call.

Whilst you're driving, that is...

busybee2 Oct 12th 2010 9:15 am

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 8912730)
Whilst you're driving, that is...

also with feet on dash "fit right in" and will pass the "test" :rofl:

Bahtatboy Oct 12th 2010 9:27 am

On my way in to work I regularly see a Learner car stopped on the hard shoulder of the 8-lane Al Ain drag so that instructor and student can get out and swap seats. Dumb ****wits.

Its probably worth learning in the West, where at least you'll get taught those things which could save your life (like the most dangerous place on a motorway is the hard shoulder, so only stop there if it really is an emergency), or at least if you do learn here then try to find out what's good and bad (the UK's Highway Code might be useful).

Alternatively get a wobbly instructor and learn never to indicate, hog the 3rd lane, use the hard shoulder as a temporary stopping point, people in front will only move if you blast your horn, seat belts are for poofs and cycling the wrong way down a dual-carriageway IS safe.

TGFKASE Oct 12th 2010 9:32 am

Ditto most (except MH!) people here. Even if you have to pay for a 'crash course' in the UK, it will still be cheaper than paying the driving schools here...

Most parents of driving age kids I know here have done this same thing, crash course, pass the test (Insha'allah) and come back here with a licence which you swap for a UAE one..

Simples!!!

TGFKASE Oct 12th 2010 9:34 am

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 8912762)
On my way in to work I regularly see a Learner car stopped on the hard shoulder of the 8-lane Al Ain drag so that instructor and student can get out and swap seats. Dumb ****wits.

Its probably worth learning in the West, where at least you'll get taught those things which could save your life (like the most dangerous place on a motorway is the hard shoulder, so only stop there if it really is an emergency), or at least if you do learn here then try to find out what's good and bad (the UK's Highway Code might be useful).

Alternatively get a wobbly instructor and learn never to indicate, hog the 3rd lane, use the hard shoulder as a temporary stopping point, people in front will only move if you blast your horn, seat belts are for poofs and cycling the wrong way down a dual-carriageway IS safe.

As is walking, I found out on Friday..!!!

A guy walking down the space between the central reservation and the fast lane on Emirates Rd.. Between 66 and Ranches I/C... F$%k knows where he was walking to, coz there is no way he could get over to the other side for approx 10 kms..!!

MataHari Oct 12th 2010 9:50 am

Originally Posted by TGFKASE (Post 8912778)
Ditto most (except MH!) people here.
Simples!!!

err...he wanted to know about the procedure of getting a UAE driving license and I gave him the info...I didn't say if it was good or bad.

seven seas Oct 12th 2010 11:57 am

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 8912762)

Isn't that what EVERYONE does?

Are you going soft on me? Man up!!

seven seas Oct 12th 2010 11:59 am

Originally Posted by busybee2 (Post 8911300)
i disagree you should learn in the uk, as you will be taught to drive correctly and then that would hold you in good stead here, with a little thing called defensive driving. here if you learn you will learn all the bad habits and they also teach you differently.

also you will be learning in an automatic and still doesnt entitle you to drive anywhere else.

The first time I experienced the standard of driving, I shat my pants. At least a learner will have the consolation of thinking "It's OK, I'm only a beginner" but for a proper driver to be equated with Mr Magoo is a shock to the system.