Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

The Leaky Dhow Bar and Grill

The Leaky Dhow Bar and Grill

Old May 11th 2005, 10:06 am
Up in the air

Jammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Leaky Dhow Bar and Grill

Originally Posted by Face81
alligators sound like fun.... how about gorillas in the woods?

how about geese that have been bred to kill..... the geese from hell?
I like where your going with the geese................ but african killer bees would be easier, and more cost effective
Old May 11th 2005, 10:06 am

Welivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by W10
Have yet to play golf here. Any recommendations?
There are so many courses, and most of them are really nice, but some are a bit pricey... But here goes (these are just my opinions on the courses i have played):

Jebel Ali Golf Resort and Spa - 9 hole. It's about 200AED a round. Not that long but fairly narrow, tree lined. Emphasis on accuracy rather than power. I relly like it down there, it's a bit of drive for me from Mirdif but i really like the course and the people. Normally easy to get a tee as well and is a bit cooler as it is right on the coast.

Montgomerie - A 9 hole par three, 50AED. very short longest hole 105yds, but good for quickie. Or the full 18 which 600AED with buggy, really nice course, links principals, wide fairways but quite long as well. Really enjoyed playing there. Marshalls can be a bit pushy if you are a 4 ball.

Nad Al Sheba - The closest to a public course in Dubai, 18 holes, flood lit, only the back 9 is open at the mo the rest is under renovation. Not a bad course I think is about 200 for the 9 at the moment. Again fairly wide.

Al Badiah - Beautiful course, very hard to get a tee (members only at the moment). 500 a round. Very difficult for a high handicapper like me. Water on 14 of 18 holes and one monster par 5 (650+ yards). If you get the chance though give it a go.

Dubai Golf and Creek - Another one in the 500 a round bracket. Long and narrow, lightening greens. They also have a small 9 hole par 3.

Tower Links RAK - A bit of drive but well worth it, as yet a relatively undiscovered jewel. Beautiful wide fairways but savage OOB. It's still being developed so the prices are cheap, I played there for about 200 for a full 18 but I think when it's finished it will be up in the 400 bracket.

There are other courses like the two at Emirates and Arabian Ranches (plus a couple I've prob forgetten) but I haven't got round to playing them yet. If you want a bit more info go here:

UGA

And there is shed loads of info about courses etc in Dubai and on the links page are (suprisingly) links to most of the courses.

For a quick 9 holes though I would have to recommend Jebel Ali, value for money and nice course...

I take it you play? Any good? I've only been playing for a year and half or so, therfore am still on the borders of a 100 or so for a full round

If you want any more info give me a shout...
Old May 11th 2005, 10:08 am

Welivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jammy_Dodgers

2. random landmining of the fairways

i was toying with the idea of random snipers in the trees but i think thats pushing things a bit too far..
The landmine ideal appeals to me on a sick level...
Old May 11th 2005, 10:11 am
The Oracle

Face81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Welivehere
There are so many courses, and most of them are really nice, but some are a bit pricey... But here goes (these are just my opinions on the courses i have played):

Jebel Ali Golf Resort and Spa - 9 hole. It's about 200AED a round. Not that long but fairly narrow, tree lined. Emphasis on accuracy rather than power. I relly like it down there, it's a bit of drive for me from Mirdif but i really like the course and the people. Normally easy to get a tee as well and is a bit cooler as it is right on the coast.

Montgomerie - A 9 hole par three, 50AED. very short longest hole 105yds, but good for quickie. Or the full 18 which 600AED with buggy, really nice course, links principals, wide fairways but quite long as well. Really enjoyed playing there. Marshalls can be a bit pushy if you are a 4 ball.

Nad Al Sheba - The closest to a public course in Dubai, 18 holes, flood lit, only the back 9 is open at the mo the rest is under renovation. Not a bad course I think is about 200 for the 9 at the moment. Again fairly wide.

Al Badiah - Beautiful course, very hard to get a tee (members only at the moment). 500 a round. Very difficult for a high handicapper like me. Water on 14 of 18 holes and one monster par 5 (650+ yards). If you get the chance though give it a go.

Dubai Golf and Creek - Another one in the 500 a round bracket. Long and narrow, lightening greens. They also have a small 9 hole par 3.

Tower Links RAK - A bit of drive but well worth it, as yet a relatively undiscovered jewel. Beautiful wide fairways but savage OOB. It's still being developed so the prices are cheap, I played there for about 200 for a full 18 but I think when it's finished it will be up in the 400 bracket.

There are other courses like the two at Emirates and Arabian Ranches (plus a couple I've prob forgetten) but I haven't got round to playing them yet. If you want a bit more info go here:

UGA

And there is shed loads of info about courses etc in Dubai and on the links page are (suprisingly) links to most of the courses.

For a quick 9 holes though I would have to recommend Jebel Ali, value for money and nice course...

I take it you play? Any good? I've only been playing for a year and half or so, therfore am still on the borders of a 100 or so for a full round

If you want any more info give me a shout...
with those prices, i'd be happy to play the grumpy caddy. I ca nbe very pouty if i have to..... anyone need a caddy? will be happy to just walk around and take in the scenery.

Have never played a full round, just been out on the driving range and putting green at nad al sheeba which was great. did that during an intensive 2 week course about 8 years ago.
W10

As I said before - used to be a low handicapper but stopped playing for five years.

The swing is still in shape for the long game but the short game is utterly shocking - one minute I have the touch of Seve, the next the touch of Sven.

Probably hitting 90 odd at the moment.

If you want to hook up for a round I'm keen.

Up in the air

Jammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond repute

The landmine ideal appeals to me on a sick level...
Just think of the carnage if they chose to use a golf cart !!
Old May 11th 2005, 10:13 am
The Oracle

Face81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of light

I like where your going with the geese................ but african killer bees would be easier, and more cost effective
bees tend to bugger off and besides, I hate bees.... u should know that by know after that trip to the mountains yonks ago....

killer geese from hell, or sharks in the water features..... or errrrrrmmmmmm...... poison ivy in the rough? heh heh we need to be environmentally friendly toady, dont we?
Old May 11th 2005, 10:14 am
The Oracle

can i get to pick the passengers that will ride on the golf cart of doom?

pleeeeeeeeeeeeese????
Old May 11th 2005, 10:17 am

Amoured carts so that you get a least one "freebie" blow up:

First explosion yellow card,
Second mine, red card you're outa here literally

Otherwise it could be a fairly short game and the TV rights would be atrocious, at least this way there is some tension building, the viewing figures would be massive...
Old May 11th 2005, 10:18 am
Just Joined

RD1280 has a spectacular aura aboutRD1280 has a spectacular aura aboutRD1280 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by W10
As I said before - used to be a low handicapper but stopped playing for five years.

The swing is still in shape for the long game but the short game is utterly shocking - one minute I have the touch of Seve, the next the touch of Sven.

Probably hitting 90 odd at the moment.

If you want to hook up for a round I'm keen.
sounds good to me. will discuss next time i see you.
you, rickyboy, me and a.n other. when i played they made this other guy play with us, thankfully he was pretty sound. Fellow Scot. He had the unfortunate task of being my doubles partner - just couldnt get to grip with the greens!
Old May 11th 2005, 10:19 am
The Oracle

Amoured carts so that you get a least one "freebie" blow up:

First explosion yellow card,
Second mine, red card you're outa here literally

Otherwise it could be a fairly short game and the TV rights would be atrocious, at least this way there is some tension building, the viewing figures would be massive...
wheres the fun in that? think of the crowds that would throng the fairways just to get a glimpse of the bloody guts spewn onto the greens!

Last edited by Face81; May 11th 2005 at 10:23 am.
Old May 11th 2005, 10:20 am
The Oracle

Originally Posted by RD1280
you, rickyboy, me and a.n other. when i played they made this other guy play with us, thankfully he was pretty sound. Fellow Scot. He had the unfortunate task of being my doubles partner - just couldnt get to grip with the greens!
can i caddy? please? dont expect to be paid...... just want to watch the game.... no smart remarks for that comment from u W10!
Old May 11th 2005, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by RD1280
Guys,
If you can put up with the high handicap I'll make up the A.N.Other, always willing to hack lumps out of someones golf course...
Old May 11th 2005, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by Face81
wheres the fun in that? think of the crowds that would throng the fairways just to get a glimpse of the bloody guts spewn onto the greens!
Oh no, you mis-interpret me, I still want it to blow up, spary body parts etc but only on the second mine. The first one would be a warning, a little teaser of what to come if you screw up again...
Old May 11th 2005, 10:31 am
W10

Guys,
If you can put up with the high handicap I'll make up the A.N.Other, always willing to hack lumps out of someones golf course...
It's a deal...at least I won't be the worst player

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.