Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Lawyers in Dubai - Advice please :)

Lawyers in Dubai - Advice please :)

Old Sep 30th 2008, 4:10 pm
Just Joined

L1bel is just really niceL1bel is just really niceL1bel is just really niceL1bel is just really niceL1bel is just really niceL1bel is just really niceL1bel is just really niceL1bel is just really niceL1bel is just really nice
Default Lawyers in Dubai - Advice please :)

Hi All

I was wondering if there are any UK/US qualified lawyers who have recently made the move to the ME here who might be able to offer some advice on what the law firms out there tend to offer as a package.

By way of background, I am a UK qualified finance solicitor (5 yr pqe) working in a US firm in London. It seems that the work flows are drying up in my firm (and my area or work generally) so I am considering the move to brighter shores!

From what I understand, many of the US/UK firms in the ME offer their usual gross salary, plus relocation, plus benefits and bonus. I hear Saudi packages are higher but I'm not sure how much by (and I've not researched living there either yet so am generally in the dark).

My main questions are as follows and I'd appreciate any feedback from anyone who is able to offer some insight:

1. Is a car allowance usually offered?
2. If the salary is gross US/UK salary, does that mean there is no housing allowance? (this is what I understand but wanted to double check).
3. How long do firms tend to put you up for when you arrive? (2 weeks, 4 weeks or more?). It seems that finding accommodation will take some time so obviously the longer the better
4. Is the end of service payment a replacement for pension contributions?
5. How negotiable do you think the packages are?

I look forward to hearing from you all and hope you are all having a good Eid!!
Old Sep 30th 2008, 4:37 pm
Just Joined

TheGreatEscape is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Lawyers in Dubai - Advice please :)

Hi there

I'm moving over shortly as an NQ with a US-based international firm. The package I was offered was gross NQ London salary + accommodation/ car/ flight allowance (totalling about 30% of NQ salary). They're putting me up for 4 weeks in an apartment while I find somewhere to live.

I'm paying into my pension in London (the generous defined contribution scheme the Firm has going).

I'd imagine you have some scope to negotiate as a 5 PQE finance guy (I was not in as strong a position as an NQ!).

Good luck!

TGE
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 12:52 pm
Just Joined

L1bel is just really niceL1bel is just really niceL1bel is just really niceL1bel is just really niceL1bel is just really niceL1bel is just really niceL1bel is just really niceL1bel is just really niceL1bel is just really nice

Thanks TGE, very helpful. Hope your move is going well.

Any more for any more? Or are the lawyers all busy billing away?
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 5:40 pm
Forum Regular

crw1979 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am a five year corporate qualified lawyer working for one of the large international firms in Dubai. In general you should look to get your London salary gross (I'm about 10% above my London wage gross), I would expect the same differential to be the case with US firms in the region.

Typically firms have moved away from the "expat package" (e.g. payment of accommodation, car hire, school fees etc.) towards a basic package with bonus (typically up to 20% of basic salary) and a housing loan. Whilst you will not get a pension contribution there is an end of service gratuity payment payable under Dubai labour law. Obviously exact packages will vary

If you want any further information please feel free to drop me a message.

Regards

Chris
Old Oct 4th 2008, 12:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

l1bel, there's a snippet in this week's time out that says a survey has just revealed lawyer salaries average 82,000 dhs a month here...might help with assessing your offer...

MM, xx
Old Oct 4th 2008, 1:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa
l1bel, there's a snippet in this week's time out that says a survey has just revealed lawyer salaries average 82,000 dhs a month here...might help with assessing your offer...

MM, xx
I should reconsider my career...I do talk like a lawyer,you know...
Old Oct 5th 2008, 12:24 pm
Just Joined

MM, xx
Blimey!! Thanks for the tip!
Old Oct 5th 2008, 12:25 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Confucius
I should reconsider my career...I do talk like a lawyer,you know...
That's pretty much all there is to it!
Old Oct 5th 2008, 5:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by L1bel
That's pretty much all there is to it!
I'm putting my foot in the door soon...
Old Oct 5th 2008, 5:38 pm
Forum Regular

niddy is on a distinguished road

MM, xx
Yeah, but you forget that the article was referring to top lawyers, those with experience in excess of 15 or 20 years and those at top financial/banking institutions. Lawyers who are not partners will not make the 82K dhs average you refer to. That is the average for general counsels and partners.

Also, most law firms now only give you an all inclusive pay package which is roughly the London equivalent.
Old Oct 5th 2008, 5:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by niddy
Yeah, but you forget that the article was referring to top lawyers, those with experience in excess of 15 or 20 years and those at top financial/banking institutions. Lawyers who are not partners will not make the 82K dhs average you refer to. That is the average for general counsels and partners.

Also, most law firms now only give you an all inclusive pay package which is roughly the London equivalent.
i didn't forget anything...as i said, i was merely quoting a snippet from time out, which referred to the average salary, which therefore doesn't imply just top lawyers...however, seems you've read the full works, so i'm sure you're right...

although as far as i'm aware, partners earn a hell of a lot more than that...my brother certainly does...

MM, xx
Old Oct 7th 2008, 1:19 pm
Just Joined

Jack-Bauer is just really niceJack-Bauer is just really niceJack-Bauer is just really niceJack-Bauer is just really niceJack-Bauer is just really niceJack-Bauer is just really niceJack-Bauer is just really niceJack-Bauer is just really nice

I am also making the move out to Dubai in January. I am an 8 years PQE finance lawyer. Am expecting to hear about my compensation package soon so lets see...
Old Oct 8th 2008, 1:25 pm
Forum Regular

crw1979 is an unknown quantity at this point

It is worth speaking to the recruiters out in the region. A few of them have prepared salary surveys. I am pretty sure I have one hanging around somewhere which I can forward on.

Regards

Chris
Old Oct 8th 2008, 3:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by crw1979
It is worth speaking to the recruiters out in the region. A few of them have prepared salary surveys. I am pretty sure I have one hanging around somewhere which I can forward on.

Regards

Chris
chris, you don't have one for the oil and gas industry by any chance, do you...?

MM, xx
Old Oct 8th 2008, 4:22 pm
Just Joined

Jack-Bauer is just really niceJack-Bauer is just really niceJack-Bauer is just really niceJack-Bauer is just really niceJack-Bauer is just really niceJack-Bauer is just really niceJack-Bauer is just really niceJack-Bauer is just really nice

Shane Morton at Taylor Root in Dubai is pretty good and definitely worth talking to. He is clued-up and can provide useful insight into the market.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.