Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Lawyer in the Middle East

Lawyer in the Middle East

Old Oct 22nd 2013, 7:11 am
Just Joined

Bobobo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Lawyer in the Middle East

I'm going to start my Juris Doctor soon. I was wondering what are the prospects in the Middle East for a fresh JD grad. My JD shall be based on common law.

Also, other than Arabic and Islamic law what other knowledge would give me greater competitive advantage there? Also what kind of Arabic should I learn?

Thanks in advance!
Old Oct 22nd 2013, 7:18 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lawyer in the Middle East

Where do you live?
Old Oct 22nd 2013, 11:26 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by britexpat76 View Post
Where do you live?
I currently live in China.
Old Oct 22nd 2013, 12:29 pm
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bobobo View Post
I currently live in China.
Are you Chinese and Qualified in China?

I will struggle to give much advice as I know nothing about how things work in China. Most of my friends having qualified have stayed in the UK for a few years gaining experience before leaving for the Middle East as most companies there want trained experienced Lawyers.

Only way to find out is to scrub up the CV and get it out there, but make sure it goes to the relevant person and follow it up with a phone call as 95% of the time you won't get a response from an E-Mailed CV.

Good Luck
Old Oct 23rd 2013, 2:04 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by britexpat76 View Post
Are you Chinese and Qualified in China?

I will struggle to give much advice as I know nothing about how things work in China. Most of my friends having qualified have stayed in the UK for a few years gaining experience before leaving for the Middle East as most companies there want trained experienced Lawyers.

Only way to find out is to scrub up the CV and get it out there, but make sure it goes to the relevant person and follow it up with a phone call as 95% of the time you won't get a response from an E-Mailed CV.

Good Luck

I'm going to begin my JD studies soon so I am not qualified in China yet.

Does anyone know about fresh graduate prospects in the Middle East in the legal field?
Old Oct 23rd 2013, 9:59 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Commercial Law is most useful here. I have a few clients who are lawyers and the ones doing well are in those fields.

Unless you are a native speaker and a Muslim it will not be worth looking to study Islamic law to any serious level. Knowledge of it will help but you're more likely to get work giving advice to companies operating in the region, providing arbitration etc. If you're Finance related it might help to know about Islamic banking though.

Commercial Law also means you'll find it easy to work elsewhere. Working here is not for everyone. The streets are not paved with gold, there is a tier system of nationalities in most things including what you're likely to get paid and how you are treated by the government and police.

If you like I can ask my contacts if they are looking for an intern - PM me and give me more details like when you are coming over and what your experience and qualifications are.

N.
Old Oct 30th 2013, 5:18 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Norm_uk View Post
Commercial Law is most useful here. I have a few clients who are lawyers and the ones doing well are in those fields.

Unless you are a native speaker and a Muslim it will not be worth looking to study Islamic law to any serious level. Knowledge of it will help but you're more likely to get work giving advice to companies operating in the region, providing arbitration etc. If you're Finance related it might help to know about Islamic banking though.

Commercial Law also means you'll find it easy to work elsewhere. Working here is not for everyone. The streets are not paved with gold, there is a tier system of nationalities in most things including what you're likely to get paid and how you are treated by the government and police.

If you like I can ask my contacts if they are looking for an intern - PM me and give me more details like when you are coming over and what your experience and qualifications are.

N.
Thanks for your input Norm. What do you mean by a tiered system of nationalities? I'm a British citizen but shall be doing my JD in Australia. Ethnically, I'm neither.

Also, do you happen to know the salary interns, full time employees at a junior level get in the Middle east for commercial law? I'd be holding debt through students loans and that would be useful to calculate whether the Middle East is financially doable.

Very kind of you to offer to ask your contacts whether they're looking for an intern. Hope that offer still stands once I get started in the JD program.