Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Lawrence's Vision for Arabia

Lawrence's Vision for Arabia

Old Nov 17th 2007, 10:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lawrence's Vision for Arabia

Originally Posted by jvr20
Interesting this topic came up just now... I've found myself wanting to learn more about the C20 history of this region... I wikipedia'd TEL before i came out here and I saw the O'Toole film ages ago. all i can remember is the scene in open desert where he's waiting for Faisal and Omar Sharif appears slowly on a horse out of nowhere. Brilliant cinema. Would re-watcihng the film be a good place to start? I've put Thiesiger on my amazon wish list for chrimbo too
Thiesiger's books are really readable, definitely get them in your stocking! Funnily enough I got chatting with an amazing old gent called Noor Al Rashid a few weeks back - he has been the court photographer here since 1958 and he pulled out a pocketbook of old photographs that he'd taken of Thiesiger, Sheikh Zayed, Sheikh Rashid, Sheikh Mohammed when he was a little kid. It made me realise how short the timeline really is back to the "protectorate" days...
Old Nov 19th 2007, 4:28 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie
I think most critics agree that the Seven Pillars is only semi-autobiographical; it does decend into tall tales of derring-do, and his thinking is Orientalist in that he romanticises the Arabs as "Noble Savages":

'Really this country, for the foreigner, is too glorious for words: one is really the baron in the feudal system.'

You can deconstruct his sexual penchants to the nth degree - childhood beatings from his mother, the fact that he was the bastard son of his knighted father & the governess, the Jesuit schooling; but the fact remains that despite having more flaws than a SZR apartment block the guy performed some extraordinary acts, and in his thinking aspired to an evolved personal morality.

Yes,SYR-said quasi fictional.His Mom wasn't quite a Governess-well not in the classroom!-she was a Maid.Concur, an enigma
Love your posts.Please write some more-but change back into your lovely titfer first.
Old Nov 19th 2007, 4:40 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jvr20
Interesting this topic came up just now... I've found myself wanting to learn more about the C20 history of this region... I wikipedia'd TEL before i came out here and I saw the O'Toole film ages ago. all i can remember is the scene in open desert where he's waiting for Faisal and Omar Sharif appears slowly on a horse out of nowhere. Brilliant cinema. Would re-watcihng the film be a good place to start? I've put Thiesiger on my amazon wish list for chrimbo too

JVR, You must ask Santa for all Wilf's Books-including Maitalnd's Bio-you will not be disappointed.As for watching Lean's L. O . A.......- just watch it for the Object D'Art that it is-same as Ryan's Daughter etc etc....
Old Nov 19th 2007, 4:49 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thiesiger's books are really readable, definitely get them in your stocking! Funnily enough I got chatting with an amazing old gent called Noor Al Rashid a few weeks back - he has been the court photographer here since 1958 and he pulled out a pocketbook of old photographs that he'd taken of Thiesiger, Sheikh Zayed, Sheikh Rashid, Sheikh Mohammed when he was a little kid. It made me realise how short the timeline really is back to the "protectorate" days...

Oh I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall there-you are so lucky SYB....
Yes, doesn't all just seem a nanosecond away?
Wilf was a funny old b***h at times ...Oedipul and vengeful but kept the 'audience' on his side.One of my fav books as a child was 'Ring of Brightwater '.Then when I read, in Maitland, that Maxwell and Wilf had terrible spats-all those years of love for 'Tarka' went out the window in favour of Wilf!!!

Opine some more pse SYB....
Old Nov 20th 2007, 6:10 am
Forum Regular

Bodach is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

Read the book and have followed some of historical routes through Saudi & Jordan, had some great camp outs following the Hajj railway from Mecca, the railway station at Medina Saleh was renovated by ancient monuments of the UK, much of the stone work replaced by stone masons from Fort George near Inverness, Medina Saleh was built by the Nabatean people prior to Petra, I believe they built Petra due to the caravan trail for spices etc., moving to the costal region away from inland, followed the trail into Jordon, Wadie Rum, visited the cleft in the rock where the two foot prints are carved overhead, plenty water and cool inside just as Lawrence wrote in the book.

I am not a historian or anything like it! Just a bored Jock who spent 8 years working in Saudi, based in Yanbu, also mentioned in the book, the house he stayed at is now just a shell, shame as its part of the Saudi history, we sailed at the sharm where the British Destroyer almost ran aground also in the book, have loads of pictures, all in storage in the UK. All this took place in the early nineties before the troubles.

I even found Lawrence's house in London, its marked above the doorway, found it wondering about when my wife was running the London marathon, so that was the end of my quest, still got some relics from the railway and Ottoman forts that guarded the railway.

Aye found memories

B.
Old Nov 20th 2007, 6:20 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Wasn't Lawrence of Arabia supposed to be a poofter?
Old Nov 20th 2007, 6:23 am
W10

Funnily enough I got chatting with an amazing old gent called Noor Al Rashid a few weeks back
Very nice guy, and always keen to show you his work.

Old Nov 20th 2007, 6:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
Wasn't Lawrence of Arabia supposed to be a poofter?
Sorry, when were you leaving for the UK? If you need help packing or a lift to the airport, just call.
Old Nov 20th 2007, 7:13 am
W10

New book by Noor Ali....cool stuff

http://www.gulfnews.com/photographer.../10167309.html

Old Nov 20th 2007, 7:20 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry, when were you leaving for the UK? If you need help packing or a lift to the airport, just call.
Who said i was going back to the UK? Merely leaving Dubai for greener pastures. I am presently considering an opportunity in Abu Dhabi but fortunately (for you and your friends) my wife is not keen.
Old Nov 20th 2007, 7:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by W10
Yup, it's on my list...
Old Nov 20th 2007, 7:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Eva
Oh I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall there-you are so lucky SYB....
Yes, doesn't all just seem a nanosecond away?
Wilf was a funny old b***h at times ...Oedipul and vengeful but kept the 'audience' on his side.One of my fav books as a child was 'Ring of Brightwater '.Then when I read, in Maitland, that Maxwell and Wilf had terrible spats-all those years of love for 'Tarka' went out the window in favour of Wilf!!!

Opine some more pse SYB....
I'm afraid I had to resort to googling the "Ring of Brightwater"... Maxwell sounds like quite a character; I would hate to think of his reaction to the massacre of the Marsh Arabs & the destruction of their habitat in more recent times.

For anyone interested in Arab history, I can recommend Albert Hourami's History of the Arab People as a thoroughly non-Orientalist account.
Old Nov 21st 2007, 9:05 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Bodach
Hi

Read the book and have followed some of historical routes through Saudi & Jordan, had some great camp outs following the Hajj railway from Mecca, the railway station at Medina Saleh was renovated by ancient monuments of the UK, much of the stone work replaced by stone masons from Fort George near Inverness, Medina Saleh was built by the Nabatean people prior to Petra, I believe they built Petra due to the caravan trail for spices etc., moving to the costal region away from inland, followed the trail into Jordon, Wadie Rum, visited the cleft in the rock where the two foot prints are carved overhead, plenty water and cool inside just as Lawrence wrote in the book.

I am not a historian or anything like it! Just a bored Jock who spent 8 years working in Saudi, based in Yanbu, also mentioned in the book, the house he stayed at is now just a shell, shame as its part of the Saudi history, we sailed at the sharm where the British Destroyer almost ran aground also in the book, have loads of pictures, all in storage in the UK. All this took place in the early nineties before the troubles.

I even found Lawrence's house in London, its marked above the doorway, found it wondering about when my wife was running the London marathon, so that was the end of my quest, still got some relics from the railway and Ottoman forts that guarded the railway.

Aye found memories

B.
So what takes yer fancy these days-Bored Jock? Surely none of the new stuff like Rankine.....
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 8:38 pm
Banned

Big Geezer has a brilliant futureBig Geezer has a brilliant futureBig Geezer has a brilliant futureBig Geezer has a brilliant futureBig Geezer has a brilliant futureBig Geezer has a brilliant futureBig Geezer has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by The Dean
but the fact remains that despite having more flaws than a SZR apartment block the guy performed some extraordinary acts, and in his thinking aspired to an evolved personal morality.

Perhaps the first truly great quote in the history of The Bored.

SYB - I salute you.
I am sure he did perform some extraordinary acts !

But here we are now and did it make any difference ?

Am I being negative, Dean ?
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 8:43 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I do hope you are not Scottish BG...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.