Laptop

Old Sep 4th 2007, 7:04 pm
patience...is a virtue!!!

reecefam has a brilliant futurereecefam has a brilliant futurereecefam has a brilliant futurereecefam has a brilliant futurereecefam has a brilliant futurereecefam has a brilliant future
Default Laptop

Hi,
Moving over to Saudi in 8 weeks and need a new laptop...are things like that cheaper over there or do i buy it in England????
Thanks
Old Sep 5th 2007, 9:15 am
W10

Default Re: Laptop

I don't know about Saudi - but in Dubai laptops aren't really any cheaper.

Old Sep 5th 2007, 11:15 am
Expats Newboy

JohnG will become famous soon enoughJohnG will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by reecefam
Hi,
Moving over to Saudi in 8 weeks and need a new laptop...are things like that cheaper over there or do i buy it in England????
Thanks
They ain't much cheaper in Bahrain either mate, if you get one over here it'll have the Arabic keyboard board but if it breaks you can just take it back.!!! Don't know if that helps in any way at all....
Old Sep 5th 2007, 11:17 am

reecefam has a brilliant futurereecefam has a brilliant futurereecefam has a brilliant futurereecefam has a brilliant futurereecefam has a brilliant futurereecefam has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by JohnG
They ain't much cheaper in Bahrain either mate, if you get one over here it'll have the Arabic keyboard board but if it breaks you can just take it back.!!! Don't know if that helps in any way at all....
Prefer the standard keyboard i think!!!
Old Sep 5th 2007, 11:19 am
Expats Newboy

JohnG will become famous soon enoughJohnG will become famous soon enough

Yeah, Me too, that was why I bought mine back home. I really don't think that there is a lot of difference in prices mate and at least you won't spend hours looking for the @ or £ keys.!!!
Old Sep 5th 2007, 11:20 am
BE Forum Addict

jvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond repute

The Arabic keyboard is very similar to the US keyboard (if not identical) - so almost the same as the UK keyboard. I prefer it to the German and Swiss ones any day (though that said at work I have got mine operating on 'soft' UK)
Old Sep 5th 2007, 11:29 am
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

FWIW, if you can prove that you're buying the laptop to permanently export it outside the EU, you can get a refund on the VAT at the airport when you leave the UK - that should save you a fair bit. I don't know exactly how you go about it, but I'm fairly sure you need to get the place you buy it from to fill in some kind of special form to present to Customs, and not all shops are geared up to do this.
Old Sep 5th 2007, 12:03 pm
Greying Member

Rog_Rams is a glorious beacon of lightRog_Rams is a glorious beacon of lightRog_Rams is a glorious beacon of lightRog_Rams is a glorious beacon of lightRog_Rams is a glorious beacon of lightRog_Rams is a glorious beacon of lightRog_Rams is a glorious beacon of lightRog_Rams is a glorious beacon of lightRog_Rams is a glorious beacon of lightRog_Rams is a glorious beacon of lightRog_Rams is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by GarethR
FWIW, if you can prove that you're buying the laptop to permanently export it outside the EU, you can get a refund on the VAT at the airport when you leave the UK - that should save you a fair bit. I don't know exactly how you go about it, but I'm fairly sure you need to get the place you buy it from to fill in some kind of special form to present to Customs, and not all shops are geared up to do this.
Could always buy at Duty Free Dixons at Heathrow - if you're coming that way?
Old Sep 5th 2007, 2:15 pm
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rog_Rams
Could always buy at Duty Free Dixons at Heathrow - if you're coming that way?
Could do indeed, but you won't necessarily get the best price that way. Better approach would be to order from an online retailer that understands about VAT refunds.
Old Sep 5th 2007, 4:09 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

might want to look at warranties that are offered, I know apple and dell offer international warranties, but costs a bit extra I think for dell...
Old Sep 5th 2007, 5:18 pm

Hi,
Thanks
Thank you