Landlord Woes

Old Jul 9th 2010, 4:48 am
Just Joined

imacquarrie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Landlord Woes

Good morning,

Can someone give me some quick advice:-

We have a lease on Golden Mile Palm Jumeriah which is due to expire in October. Our tenancy agreement states 3 months’ notice. We have tried to contact the landlord on the numbers he provided when he let the property and none of them work. The only thing that has worked was the FAX number, which was at his emploers number he gave us so we sent a fax detailing our termination date and contact numbers for us, but we have had no response. The agent “Onyx” is no longer in existence so we are not sure what to do.

We have contacted RERA and they said they couldn’t help. We have pretty well resigned ourselves to the fact that we will not see our deposit back. Can we just walk away in October, after settling up the utilities such as DEWA and Palm cooling or is there something else we need to do?

Any quick advice would be much appreciated.

Kind regards,

Ian MacQuarrie.
Old Jul 9th 2010, 4:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Jim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Landlord Woes

Originally Posted by imacquarrie
Good morning,

We have a lease on Golden Mile Palm Jumeriah which is due to expire in October. Our tenancy agreement states 3 months’ notice. We have tried to contact the landlord on the numbers he provided when he let the property and none of them work. The only thing that has worked was the FAX number, which was at his emploers number he gave us so we sent a fax detailing our termination date and contact numbers for us, but we have had no response. The agent “Onyx” is no longer in existence so we are not sure what to do.

We have contacted RERA and they said they couldn’t help. We have pretty well resigned ourselves to the fact that we will not see our deposit back. Can we just walk away in October, after settling up the utilities such as DEWA and Palm cooling or is there something else we need to do?

Kind regards,

Ian MacQuarrie.
An interesting situation, although I guess not from your perspective!

It would appear your deposit has gone down the drain. I suggest you should carefully document your efforts to contact the owner, just in case he suddenly appears and tries to say you are in default as you didn't contact him/her with your intention not to renew within the specified window?

Good luck.
Old Jul 9th 2010, 6:13 am
BE Enthusiast

klaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud of

If you cannot contact him... how would you return the keys?
My landlord did not want to return us the deposit for an apartment in the Palm so I told him that I was not returning him any of the keys. Three weeks later I got the check back.
Old Jul 9th 2010, 6:20 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by klaus3974
My landlord did not want to return us the deposit for an apartment in the Palm so I told him that I was not returning him any of the keys. Three weeks later I got the check back.

We were going to leave the keys at reception as they have one anyway, or that was the idea
Old Jul 9th 2010, 6:26 am
Forum Regular

GuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to behold

I had a similar situation when I moved out of my last place. The agent kept promising to contact the owner. I had sent emails, no response. Finally contacted the owner 2 weeks before I moved out. She was umming and ahhing about the deposit, I closed the utilities and moved. I finally gave the keys back a week later and recieved my deposit back in cash. Just the usual Dubai crap.
As for the 3 months notice, I don't think that applies at the end of the contract as it is not implied that you will continue with another year anyway. It's only if you leave mid contract I think.
Old Jul 9th 2010, 7:31 am
BE Forum Addict

admon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by klaus3974
this is actually a bad move even though it worked for you in this instance - in the eyes of the law here, until you give the keys back you are liable for the property - and the rent.
Old Jul 9th 2010, 7:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by imacquarrie
Good morning,

Kind regards,

Ian MacQuarrie.
Were you actually planning to move out in October? If not, you're laughing.......... you'll be living rent free as far as I can see.............
Old Jul 9th 2010, 12:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Cham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by The Dean
Were you actually planning to move out in October? If not, you're laughing.......... you'll be living rent free as far as I can see.............
was just about to say the same thing... at least get your deposit's worth before you move out
Old Jul 10th 2010, 7:59 am
Roving Donny fan.

Location: Doncaster, UK. But not for long!!! Where's my visa!!!
glynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really nice

Originally Posted by Cham128
was just about to say the same thing... at least get your deposit's worth before you move out
and then let it to the indians who are struggling in Sharjah after not been paid for building the damn place.
Old Jul 10th 2010, 12:24 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by glynster
and then let it to the indians who are struggling in Sharjah after not been paid for building the damn place.
Many thanks for all your supportive comments, the landlord has now surfaced so alls well that ends well