Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Land Rover Defenders

Land Rover Defenders

Old Aug 1st 2011, 11:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

ottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Land Rover Defenders

Rather than jack another thread thought I start a new one. Just wondered how many Defenders were around, plenty of Range Rovers and Discos I know just wondered how many 90/110/130 models were around. I bought a 110 in the Oman but that was a one off.
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 2:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Land Rover Defenders

Well I bought a NAS spec 110 couple of years ago here in the US. I looked into getting a contemporary D110 from the UK to the US but after years of research I came to the conclusion that it is cheaper and definitely far less hassle to just buy a NAS spec one.

The D90 and especially the D110 have a yuppie image here, with the assumtion that is something dentists/doctors drive to the country club. They command silly resale prices. A low mileage mint condition one with around 35k miles recently sold for $80,000.

1993 was the only year they were imported into the US, with 500 for the US and 25 for Canada. They came from LR with a 6 point external rollcage, to comply with DOT specs. Owing to the lethargic nature of the diesels LR offered elsewhere, they went with a V8 for the US market. The V8 itself was a rover redesign of a Buick V8. D90 did not come with a Salisbury rear axle, but D110s did. The Salisbury is LR's liscenced version of the rugged American DANA 60.
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 6:27 am
Forum Regular

paca is just really nicepaca is just really nicepaca is just really nicepaca is just really nicepaca is just really nicepaca is just really nicepaca is just really nicepaca is just really nicepaca is just really nicepaca is just really nicepaca is just really nice

Originally Posted by Boomhauer
The Salisbury is LR's liscenced version of the rugged American DANA 60.
needs upgraded ashcroft drive shafts to be the same strength though
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 7:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute

I have only seen 6 in Bahrain

110 SW with 2.5 petrol early 90's model for sale 1900 bd ono

110 SW bright orange for sale 3000 bd

unknown age air portable

6 wheel conversion fire tender with defender cab

unknown age 110 rag top Tomb raider look alike driven by a Philipino at speed with V8

130 twin cab for sale that I need to rescue
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 9:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

I can think of a Defender - Titus Bramble - who is about as mobile as a Land Rover.....
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 10:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ottotheboar
Rather than jack another thread thought I start a new one. Just wondered how many Defenders were around, plenty of Range Rovers and Discos I know just wondered how many 90/110/130 models were around. I bought a 110 in the Oman but that was a one off.
They are an exceedingly rare beast , rarely saw them in the 80s and 90s. Only time I think was it being used by municpality and police/defense forces.

It's just a very bad choice as a daily driver in extreme climates. Your bones get rattled, the AC is crap, it is noisy, slow, cornering at speed is iffy, very utiliatarian and lacks a smooth ride. So it's no wonder that I rarely saw them in AD.

'Course when I bought mine, I already knew the above but still wanted one cause it suits me and my needs. I wouldn't use it to transport my parents / other elderly fok though.
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 1:36 pm
Forum Regular

GuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to behold

There's quite a few here, a lot of Jap imports and a local has just bought a 1951S1 from the UK here. Mainly petrol, but a few diesels if you look hard enough.
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 4:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

Not Defender related, but Land Rover related, not the less; I recommend a film (if you can find it) called "The Gods Must Be Crazy." Fun and games with a winch-equipped Series One and a carelessly disposed of Coke bottle...
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 6:09 pm
Forum Regular

paca is just really nicepaca is just really nicepaca is just really nicepaca is just really nicepaca is just really nicepaca is just really nicepaca is just really nicepaca is just really nicepaca is just really nicepaca is just really nicepaca is just really nice

Originally Posted by OleJanx
"The Gods Must Be Crazy." Fun and games with a winch-equipped Series One
The gate opening
The army guy with machine gun
the winch scene

Old Aug 2nd 2011, 6:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

"Where's the Land Rover?"
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 8:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by OleJanx
Not Defender related, but Land Rover related, not the less; I recommend a film (if you can find it) called "The Gods Must Be Crazy." Fun and games with a winch-equipped Series One and a carelessly disposed of Coke bottle...
Oh love the Gods must be crazy 1 and 2, got both on DVD.
Part 2 is the better one of the two. Dam fine films, very witty humour and superbly executed direction. One of the best movies of all time and shames 99% of Hollywood flicks.
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 9:00 pm
Forum Regular

bazooka and machine gun clip
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 5:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute

Only Afs normally know the Gods films....

Next it will be "Jock of the Bushveld". Now lets see if we can find a link to LRs.

Well he was a Staffy and south Staffs is near to Solihul, anyone do better ?
Old Aug 4th 2011, 7:08 am
Forum Regular

irich is just really niceirich is just really niceirich is just really niceirich is just really niceirich is just really niceirich is just really niceirich is just really niceirich is just really niceirich is just really niceirich is just really niceirich is just really nice

For KSA personages:

The last time i checked with the LR dealer in Riyadh, they had no plans to sell Defenders in KSA bercause the cost of getting regional type approval outweighed likely sales.

However, top of the range Range Rovers were selling like Jonny Walker Black
Old Aug 12th 2011, 9:23 am
Just Joined

poshaccent is just really niceposhaccent is just really niceposhaccent is just really niceposhaccent is just really niceposhaccent is just really niceposhaccent is just really niceposhaccent is just really niceposhaccent is just really nice

Originally Posted by ottotheboar
I have a 110 TD-5 Expedition package (2005) here in AD. Diesel. It purrs like a big cat, and I love it. I am starting to refurbish a 1983 series 3 also (locally called the Den-Den. My husband tracks all the Defenders, we have seen quite a few around including lots of ex-Police models and some Omani Army ones too.

He estimates in Abu Dhabi there are ten newer 110s which he tracks regularly for an article he is writing for Land Rover Monthly. D90s are LOTS more popular. He says they sell new at LR, full package for about 200,000 AED. The D90 for less, about 160,000 AED. The few we see are the posh 2010 models in black/silver and the occassional older ones. None of the older NAF spec ones here or we'd ship it home, all Gulf Specs. Some completely museum quality Series I & II are around in Dubai for sale at 100,000 AED. Occassionally Japanese spec D90s, fully auto come to Dubai or Sharjah.

There was a Left hand drive Tomb Raider (2000 year model) for sale last year for just 60,000 AED. Its still around. Mussafah, Al Ain and Sharjah are where there are some ex-military ones around but need full refurbbishment. Let me know if you need more info.

Last edited by poshaccent; Aug 12th 2011 at 10:00 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.