Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Land Rover Defenders

Land Rover Defenders

Old Aug 13th 2011, 12:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Land Rover Defenders

Originally Posted by poshaccent
I have a 110 TD-5 Expedition package (2005) here in AD. Diesel. It purrs like a big cat, and I love it. I am starting to refurbish a 1983 series 3 also (locally called the Den-Den. My husband tracks all the Defenders, we have seen quite a few around including lots of ex-Police models and some Omani Army ones too.

He estimates in Abu Dhabi there are ten newer 110s which he tracks regularly for an article he is writing for Land Rover Monthly. D90s are LOTS more popular. He says they sell new at LR, full package for about 200,000 AED. The D90 for less, about 160,000 AED. The few we see are the posh 2010 models in black/silver and the occassional older ones. None of the older NAF spec ones here or we'd ship it home, all Gulf Specs. Some completely museum quality Series I & II are around in Dubai for sale at 100,000 AED. Occassionally Japanese spec D90s, fully auto come to Dubai or Sharjah.

There was a Left hand drive Tomb Raider (2000 year model) for sale last year for just 60,000 AED. Its still around. Mussafah, Al Ain and Sharjah are where there are some ex-military ones around but need full refurbbishment. Let me know if you need more info.
The Tomb Raider, is that a 90 or 110, and if the latter, is it a double cab? I assume it is a British spech model?
Old Aug 14th 2011, 12:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute

The cars for sale to the general public were either 90 station wagons or 110 double cabs. To be honest I have only ever seen the 110's

Nice but prefer the 50th and 60th anniversary models. I wonder if any of the 50th models came to the ME as they had the 4.0L V8 and auto boxes ?

Message to self: do not buy a third landrover

I cannot convince the Mrs that we need the orange 130 twin cab pick up that is for sale here.
Old Aug 15th 2011, 2:41 am
Just Joined

poshaccent is just really niceposhaccent is just really niceposhaccent is just really niceposhaccent is just really niceposhaccent is just really niceposhaccent is just really niceposhaccent is just really niceposhaccent is just really nice

The Tomb Raider is a 110 Salisbury build double cab with brown leather lining. We have pictures somewhere.

We have seen two 50th anniversary 110 models. One in Dubai and one in UAE. They are the super luxury models.

Whats that in Bahrain? an Orange 130? My DH may have to take a trip! We love our two but a 130 can always be squeezed in ... none of those in the UAE!
Old Aug 15th 2011, 3:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

The Tomb Raider is a 110 Salisbury build double cab with brown leather lining. We have pictures somewhere.

We have seen two 50th anniversary 110 models. One in Dubai and one in UAE. They are the super luxury models.

Whats that in Bahrain? an Orange 130? My DH may have to take a trip! We love our two but a 130 can always be squeezed in ... none of those in the UAE!
Don't you find the Defenders rather uncomfortable in that climate?
Old Aug 15th 2011, 3:34 am
Just Joined

poshaccent is just really niceposhaccent is just really niceposhaccent is just really niceposhaccent is just really niceposhaccent is just really niceposhaccent is just really niceposhaccent is just really niceposhaccent is just really nice

Originally Posted by Boomhauer
Don't you find the Defenders rather uncomfortable in that climate?
Not really. We use our truck as the daily runner and it has a dual aircon system installed. One under the front dash and a separate adjustable one in the rear that fits just behind the rear seat and the blower takes the spot of one of the rear folding seats. It about 45 degrees on average this month but we are fine once we start the A/C and get moving. In fact when its not humid we never turn the blower past medium. Some days the heat will radiate off the front windshield and will overpower any A/C in any car. My husband's rebuild of the Series 3 for me will have the advanced A/C (both front and rear) thats used in the 2011 models. I don''t think they sell any Defenders without A/C here anyways ... only the full package models are sold here.
Old Aug 15th 2011, 5:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute

Posh accent, I couldnt possibly tell you the whereabouts of the 130 double cab until I have exhausted all possible routes of convincing the Mrs however as she is due to give birth in ten days; I am hoping to wear her down

If that fails then I will give you the contact details. Its a bit rough and in need of a little TLC but arent we all. My mrs tells me its not quite orange and more a sandy orange ( I am colour blind and it looks "orangey" to me). Strange colour actually and maybe similar to camel LR but it isnt camel spec before hubby gets all excited
Am sure LR made 90 tomb raiders as well as I remember seeing the shots of them at the time.
Old Aug 15th 2011, 11:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Not really. We use our truck as the daily runner and it has a dual aircon system installed. One under the front dash and a separate adjustable one in the rear that fits just behind the rear seat and the blower takes the spot of one of the rear folding seats. It about 45 degrees on average this month but we are fine once we start the A/C and get moving. In fact when its not humid we never turn the blower past medium. Some days the heat will radiate off the front windshield and will overpower any A/C in any car. My husband's rebuild of the Series 3 for me will have the advanced A/C (both front and rear) thats used in the 2011 models. I don''t think they sell any Defenders without A/C here anyways ... only the full package models are sold here.
Defenders are very very rare, thats what I noticed when I lived in AS. Range Rovers and Discos otoh weren't rare. Does anyone else think that apart from reliability issues which would be similar across the LR range? , that the vast majority of Arabs and others just don't like the Defender because it doesn't coddle the occupants?
Old Aug 15th 2011, 12:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

LR's aren't unreliable; they just need love and attention

I guess LR lost its market share of the Utility truck market when the japs brought out more comfortable vehicles with AC that also required less love. circa early series 3 onwards

90 & 110s and defenders are only relatively-recently lifestyle and recreational vehicles for those who want something different or for those with a little taste. Before that they generally had to work for a living and we know our friends in the sand dont like to do that either

Plus they are slower than japs, not as comfy as japs, a little noisier than japs

I guess the Defender just didnt suit the market in any way except for those who like the exotic

Would love to know if the ME is LR's biggest market for supercharged RR sports
Old Aug 15th 2011, 12:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

Defenders are very very rare, thats what I noticed when I lived in AS. Range Rovers and Discos otoh weren't rare. Does anyone else think that apart from reliability issues which would be similar across the LR range? , that the vast majority of Arabs and others just don't like the Defender because it doesn't coddle the occupants?
Defenders are probably quite rare due to the fact they are expensive, and, going back a bit to Series models, were hopelessly underpowered compared to the first Toyota Land-Cruisers (Land Rover=2.25 litre, Land-Cruiser =3.8 Litre 6 cylinder) That and the fact that a Toyota of the time (seventies) versus a British Leyland era Land Rover was a world apart in reliability, and if you find something which works, well, you tend to stick with it.
Old Aug 15th 2011, 12:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by OleJanx
Defenders are probably quite rare due to the fact they are expensive, and, going back a bit to Series models, were hopelessly underpowered compared to the first Toyota Land-Cruisers (Land Rover=2.25 litre, Land-Cruiser =3.8 Litre 6 cylinder) That and the fact that a Toyota of the time (seventies) versus a British Leyland era Land Rover was a world apart in reliability, and if you find something which works, well, you tend to stick with it.
Difficult to argue with the fact that the LC70 series cruisers are reliable great trucks and the fact they are still made today for the ME and Australia says something. Difficult to love the bloated things they have become though in later generations
Old Aug 15th 2011, 1:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by OleJanx
When you say expensive, I assume you are comparing Defenders to the utilitarian Land Cruisers Toyota offers? And not to Range Rovers, G-Wagons,luxo LandCruisers and Nissan Patrols.

The Defenders LR exported to the US in the early to late 90s had shoddy panel fit. I don't know if they ever sorted that out, but I think it might have something to do with Defenders being largely hand assembled

Last edited by Boomhauer; Aug 15th 2011 at 1:08 pm.
Old Aug 15th 2011, 1:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

When you say expensive, I assume you are comparing Defenders to the utilitarian Land Cruisers Toyota offers? And not to Range Rovers, G-Wagons,luxo LandCruisers and Nissan Patrols.
Yes.
Old Aug 16th 2011, 1:46 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Tockalosh
Posh accent, I couldnt possibly tell you the whereabouts of the 130 double cab until I have exhausted all possible routes of convincing the Mrs however as she is due to give birth in ten days; I am hoping to wear her down ...
Oh you men! Well hubby is already excited and hopes you get twins!! That Organe color would make it a G4 model. Any idea as to the year? Whats all this about a 6 wheel fire tender?
Old Aug 16th 2011, 4:56 am
Forum Regular

irich is just really niceirich is just really niceirich is just really niceirich is just really niceirich is just really niceirich is just really niceirich is just really niceirich is just really niceirich is just really niceirich is just really niceirich is just really nice

Let's see some pics:

Aftermath of sandstorm out in the Dahna dunes

Last edited by irich; Aug 16th 2011 at 5:00 am.
Old Aug 16th 2011, 5:01 am
Forum Regular

irich is just really niceirich is just really niceirich is just really niceirich is just really niceirich is just really niceirich is just really niceirich is just really niceirich is just really niceirich is just really niceirich is just really niceirich is just really nice

Sweeping on the Rally. Andrews old V8 Defender:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.