Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

The Lakes Dubai advice.

The Lakes Dubai advice.

Old Sep 14th 2011, 8:38 am
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Lakes Dubai advice.

Originally Posted by Poshy
We are on waiting list for DBS too, my 12 year old was number 6 on the list and my 7 year old was number 23 but that was months ago and have not heard anything, got in EIS no problem and they love it and I am warming to it too as I was determined they would go to a British School, was a little apprehensive on the curriculum being IB rather than A level but the more I research it it seems the way to go.

Have you looked at EIS - Meadows ?? or is it not for you ?
my wife is adamant it has to be UK curriculum school so we haven't no, but maybe we should..
Old Sep 14th 2011, 8:46 am
When in doubt, mumble.

Poshy has much to be proud ofPoshy has much to be proud ofPoshy has much to be proud ofPoshy has much to be proud ofPoshy has much to be proud ofPoshy has much to be proud ofPoshy has much to be proud ofPoshy has much to be proud ofPoshy has much to be proud ofPoshy has much to be proud ofPoshy has much to be proud of

..I knew nothing of the IB Qualification but it seems all the top universities recognise it worldwide and as we live outside the UK now and hope to stay in Dubai for a long time then our children have the opportunity to study anywhere in the world I suppose, the more well Educated people I speak to they all rave about the IB and the (alledged) top Grammar School where we lived in the UK follows IB and has scrapped A levels....

My eldest went to Grammar School in the UK albeit not the one that did IB and all his Teachers spoke highly of it...

Me ? I know nothing, I only ever went to College where all the 'fit' lads went to and just learned a bit about Typing and finished High School with a few crappy qualifications.
Old Sep 14th 2011, 9:24 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

i assume the 'rude' comment was aimed at me..

well i used to stay in the springs and my inlaws lived in the meadows. I have been in the lakes club for many a year so i based my opinion on that only..so dont get all uppety and make me out to be some sort of snob who thinks he is too good for the bloody place.

FYI the ranches was cheaper than some of the meadows and lakes places we looked at.

oh, and BTW the Villa's are a bunch of 'villa's in the middle of the desert. they are shit also, although you get a lot of bang for your buck due to the fact they are in the middle of nowhere. We looked at them also but prefered to downsize for a better location like the ranches. Same applied to DSO. We could have got a bigger villa there and my daughter goes to Wellington DSO but there is just nothing to do there.

Its all about opinions and i certainly wasnt putting you down for living in the springs. My villa there was a 2bed end terrace.
Old Sep 14th 2011, 9:50 am
When in doubt, mumble.

Poshy has much to be proud ofPoshy has much to be proud ofPoshy has much to be proud ofPoshy has much to be proud ofPoshy has much to be proud ofPoshy has much to be proud ofPoshy has much to be proud ofPoshy has much to be proud ofPoshy has much to be proud ofPoshy has much to be proud ofPoshy has much to be proud of

Wasn't being uppity just simply saying I would not say an area was shit when clearly there is someone on the same thread that lives there....did not deliberately intend to make you look like anything...

I have never been to Arabian Ranches Commander but I believe it is very nice there, my Husband asked if I would like to live there as he liked it and I declined for now as it is a bit far out, maybe somewhere to consider in the future as I get more confident driving as I would really like a 4 bed but if a nice 4 bed ever comes up on the Springs I'll take it because it's ideal for us here....maybe our landlord will extend and replace all the tiles....who knows, he thinks we are great Tenants lol...
Old Sep 14th 2011, 10:41 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Did you know that the Krankies live in the lakes..

fandabbydozie
Old Sep 14th 2011, 12:01 pm
When in doubt, mumble.

Old Sep 14th 2011, 8:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by norsk
i don't know. minimum 250K probably closer to 300K...

you are well spoilt in the green zone mate...
I think you should come back to the madness of Bh mate. A few riots here and there sounds better than being cramped up in some DXB shoe box next to an over pass or stuck out in the sand.
Old Sep 15th 2011, 12:10 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

We looked at the Lakes, they were getting well shabby apart from Ghadeer which are the newer ones. Ended up in Al Barsha, more than happy here and find it good value for money compared to Emaar properties. The Ranches is nice but didn't work for us really. Good luck
Old Sep 15th 2011, 11:48 am
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poshy
..I knew nothing of the IB Qualification but it seems all the top universities recognise it worldwide and as we live outside the UK now and hope to stay in Dubai for a long time then our children have the opportunity to study anywhere in the world I suppose, the more well Educated people I speak to they all rave about the IB and the (alledged) top Grammar School where we lived in the UK follows IB and has scrapped A levels....

My eldest went to Grammar School in the UK albeit not the one that did IB and all his Teachers spoke highly of it...

Me ? I know nothing, I only ever went to College where all the 'fit' lads went to and just learned a bit about Typing and finished High School with a few crappy qualifications.
I am apparently in the good karma corner currently as we just paid up first term fees at Regent for my son! Now all I need is to find a nice place to stay.

I'm convinced I have enough good karma left to provide me with a nice type c in Shoreline (or that one of the places I want to view in the Marina are up to my standards)..
Old Sep 16th 2011, 1:46 pm
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

The Palm is nice and the apartments are sizeable but if your kid is at Regents you might want to look at the highrises in the Greens - the Fairways, Links and Golf Towers. The Fairways is only a five minute walk from Regents.

Their golf-course side views towards the Marina is fabulous, especially at sunset. It really is quite impressive, and these buildings are Emaar and come with all the Emaar quality finishes and maintenance. Unlike the Palm, Emaar apartments aren't district cooling and all your AC usage is paid for by the landlord, not you! The Fairways has a terrific multi-level pool and it's also quite suitable for young kids.

Originally Posted by norsk
I am apparently in the good karma corner currently as we just paid up first term fees at Regent for my son! Now all I need is to find a nice place to stay.

I'm convinced I have enough good karma left to provide me with a nice type c in Shoreline (or that one of the places I want to view in the Marina are up to my standards)..

Last edited by Ethos83; Sep 16th 2011 at 1:49 pm.
Old Sep 16th 2011, 4:51 pm
Token Scandinavian Bloke

Originally Posted by Ethos83
The Palm is nice and the apartments are sizeable but if your kid is at Regents you might want to look at the highrises in the Greens - the Fairways, Links and Golf Towers. The Fairways is only a five minute walk from Regents.

Their golf-course side views towards the Marina is fabulous, especially at sunset. It really is quite impressive, and these buildings are Emaar and come with all the Emaar quality finishes and maintenance. Unlike the Palm, Emaar apartments aren't district cooling and all your AC usage is paid for by the landlord, not you! The Fairways has a terrific multi-level pool and it's also quite suitable for young kids.
Thanks mate. That's great advice. I will definitely check them out.
Old Sep 17th 2011, 7:46 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Avoid the Palm there are issues with Nakeel and maintenance
Old Sep 17th 2011, 3:45 pm
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
Avoid the Palm there are issues with Nakeel and maintenance
We've been here for two and half years, maintenance issues seem to be sorted out.

If this is not just a PR stunt it will be great for where we are http://www.arabianbusiness.com/dubai...ct-420632.html
Old Sep 17th 2011, 11:29 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by NorthernLad
We've been here for two and half years, maintenance issues seem to be sorted out.

If this is not just a PR stunt it will be great for where we are http://www.arabianbusiness.com/dubai...ct-420632.html
I love the Shoreline Apartments have a few friends there, glad to hear things are looking up re maintenance