Reload this Page >

Lady moving to Muscat, Oman!

Lady moving to Muscat, Oman!

Old Mar 24th 2011, 9:42 pm
Just Joined

Lorientaise is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Lady moving to Muscat, Oman!

Hello all,

Im returning to the middle east after a 3 year gap. I ve missed it soo much!

I worked as a teacher in Al Ain, UAE. I loved it here but I left after one year in order to qualify and improve my job prospects as a primary teacher in the UK. I ve missed living abroad so much!
I ve gained some experience and the time has finally come for me to return!

I have been offered a job in a really good school in Muscat, Oman. Im 100% about the school and Im warming to the idea of Muscat.

People often described Al Ain as boring but I absolutely loved it. It was just basically cafes, manicures and the cinema. But I was quite happy there! I made some friends to hang out with. Saved some, travelled and had a ball
Dubai was not the city for me. It was ok for a weekend but it would absolutely annoy me if I lived there. The high rises, traffic, humidity wasn t for me. Also it just didn t seem foreign sometimes especially compared to Al Ain. Al Ain had definately more of an Arabic feel to it.

People have said to me if you like Al Ain you ll love Muscat. Im really hoping I will.

I ve lived in the ME before so I have a good idea of what to expect.
I ve already contacted some people but I d just like to hear a few more opinions on a variety of things.

1. What is it like being a single woman in Oman? Is there much hassle from men? I ve heard mixed things about this. I ve heard Omani men like to talk to you but are quite respectful. I heard as blonde woman you do get alot of attention in hotels and discos but nothing too bad....
In Al Ain not much hassle from men but some men can follow you in their cars if you walk (Im a great little walker and Emiratis could simply not understand why I walked ) I can handle stares quite well and men generally leave you alone if you ask them to.

Also in Al Ain I did have Egyptian and Lebanese male friends. I often went out to the cinema and out to cafes with them on my own. Would this be a problem? I heard Muscat is quite small and people talk but then so was Al Ain and no one cared what I did.

2. Shopping. I ve heard mixed things about this. As long as there is a Carrefour and Souk Im delighted. Im not a fuss pot and the school will be providing alot of my meals anyway. Im going to be in Al seeb. Will there be little supermarkets around? I loved "walking" to them in Al Ain. The concept of walking to the shops seemed so bizarre to so many people
Clothes wise is there a H&M or Forever 21? That was the only place I ever bought clothes in Dubai. Otherwise I just waited til I went back to Ireland. Clothes could be a bit of a rip off in the Emirates and not as nice.
Is there a boots? I like their cosmetics but I d live without it.

3. Clothes. Generally I was just sensible made sure my shoulders weren t exposed and I didn t wear shorts or skirts that went above the knee.
Will that be ok? By the way in clubs and hotels anything goes right? In Dubai people wore whatever they wanted.

4. Transport. Heres the big one. Im trying to pass my test. Even when I do I am a terribly nervous driver hence why i adore walking. I would like to wait a month or two before I am forced to buy a car.
Just how much do taxis cost? Are they plentiful?
Al Ain was a dream come true in that they were dirt cheap and everywhere!

5. Internet. How accessible is the internet? Is it expensive? Can Skype be used?

I d really appreciate some responses!

Thank you in advance!
Old Mar 24th 2011, 10:35 pm
Forum Regular

brucebanner is just really nicebrucebanner is just really nicebrucebanner is just really nicebrucebanner is just really nicebrucebanner is just really nicebrucebanner is just really nicebrucebanner is just really nicebrucebanner is just really nice
Default Re: Lady moving to Muscat, Oman!

I'm thinking you need something like The Incredible Hulk to protect you.
Old Mar 26th 2011, 4:48 am
Forum Regular

Yoohoo has a reputation beyond reputeYoohoo has a reputation beyond reputeYoohoo has a reputation beyond reputeYoohoo has a reputation beyond reputeYoohoo has a reputation beyond reputeYoohoo has a reputation beyond reputeYoohoo has a reputation beyond reputeYoohoo has a reputation beyond reputeYoohoo has a reputation beyond reputeYoohoo has a reputation beyond reputeYoohoo has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there

I lived in Muscat for 2.5 years and regularly go back to catch up with friends.

Muscat is as humid, if not more so, than Dubai ever is. If you don't like humidity you will not like this place!

All your other concerns are fine. There is indeed an H & M (at Qurm City Centre) and a Forever 21 at Muscat City Centre. The latter will be closer to you.

There are indeed many taxis (all driven by Omanis) and you will probably find yourself a Mr Reliable for those late night trips you will need back home from a night out.

There are lots of opportunities for a manicure, coffees and there a couple of cinemas. There is also a very active Rugby Club and social clubs that keep things interesting. If you like walking you may want to join the Muscat Hash group. Lots of teachers there so it's a good networking opportunity as well.

Muscat is a very long, spread out series of villages and you'll be living in one on the extreme end. I think a drivers' licence would be very, very useful to you.

Al Seeb has quite a lot of shops with a very local flavour and two large supermarkets nearby. There is a great souk down the other end of town (50km away!) at Muttrah. Very atmospheric and as long as they know you live there they will try and charge reasonably. If they see your face a couple of times they will remember you. Omanis are, generally speaking, very hospitable and if you behave as you would in Al Ain you'll find they respond warmly to you.
Old Mar 26th 2011, 9:09 am
Up in the air

Jammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond repute

I miss it like crazy...... great bunch of people both expats and locals alike.

Would go back in a heartbeat.

Old Mar 26th 2011, 6:51 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by brucebanner
I'm thinking you need something like The Incredible Hulk to protect you.
Any particular reason ? I really am a remarkably independent lady!
Old Mar 26th 2011, 6:55 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for all the other replies. With regards humidity. I remember Dubai being a nightmare in August/September and even though al ain had more of a dry heat you didn t wanna be out there too long Then suddenly almost overnight it became bearable in October. Either I developed a resistance to it or the temperatures suddenly dipped. Then again my parents were over in March and baking at 30 degrees and I had a jacket on as I found it cold
Is Muscat the same? In that the temperature suddenly seems to either dip/one develops a resistance to the heat.
Old Mar 27th 2011, 4:35 am
Forum Regular

LaylaD is on a distinguished road

'People have said to me if you like Al Ain you ll love Muscat. Im really hoping I will''

I agree - I think you'll be fine

Last edited by LaylaD; Mar 27th 2011 at 4:36 am. Reason: quote
Old Mar 29th 2011, 3:57 am
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorientaise
1. What is it like being a single woman in Oman? Is there much hassle from men? I ve heard mixed things about this. I ve heard Omani men like to talk to you but are quite respectful. I heard as blonde woman you do get alot of attention in hotels and discos but nothing too bad....
depends how you dress - dress like a hooker, and you'll get hassle. no need to go muslimah to hotels / discos, but keep your clothing balanced.

In Al Ain not much hassle from men but some men can follow you in their cars if you walk (Im a great little walker and Emiratis could simply not understand why I walked ) I can handle stares quite well and men generally leave you alone if you ask them to.
Muscat is no where near as small as Al Ain. You can walk, you will get looked (especially if you are blonde, and living in the more conservative suburb of Seeb), and dont get too distressed if people (men) offer you lifts. They just want to talk to the pretty blonde girl..... Also, I have to say, pavements are shite here. Better off going to a park for a walk.

Also in Al Ain I did have Egyptian and Lebanese male friends. I often went out to the cinema and out to cafes with them on my own. Would this be a problem? I heard Muscat is quite small and people talk but then so was Al Ain and no one cared what I did.
Not a problem. Muscat is not that small.

2. Shopping. I ve heard mixed things about this. As long as there is a Carrefour and Souk Im delighted. Im not a fuss pot and the school will be providing alot of my meals anyway. Im going to be in Al seeb. Will there be little supermarkets around? I loved "walking" to them in Al Ain. The concept of walking to the shops seemed so bizarre to so many people
2 Carrefours (city centre malls). One in MCC (Muscat City Centre) in Seeb, one in QCC (Qurum City Centre) in Qurm. In Seeb there are lots of little supermarket shops around as well. Again in Seeb it is more conservative / poorer, so people do walk because they have to.

Clothes wise is there a H&M or Forever 21? That was the only place I ever bought clothes in Dubai. Otherwise I just waited til I went back to Ireland.
Forever 21 is in MCC, H&M in QCC.

Clothes could be a bit of a rip off in the Emirates and not as nice.
Is there a boots? I like their cosmetics but I d live without it.
No, but there's a MAC store in QCC.

3. Clothes. Generally I was just sensible made sure my shoulders weren t exposed and I didn t wear shorts or skirts that went above the knee.
Will that be ok?
Absolutely fine. Although long trousers is even better.

By the way in clubs and hotels anything goes right?
God no! Well, yes, but depends on the level of attention you are looking for.....

In Dubai people wore whatever they wanted.
People don't here. Well, again, there are a very few that do, but they are seen as tarty. Even expats look down on those with the see-through skimpy clothing. No-one will say anything, but it's all levels of respect. You respect the culture, they will respect you back.

4. Transport. Heres the big one. Im trying to pass my test. Even when I do I am a terribly nervous driver hence why i adore walking. I would like to wait a month or two before I am forced to buy a car.
Just how much do taxis cost? Are they plentiful?
Al Ain was a dream come true in that they were dirt cheap and everywhere!
Get your test finished before you come and get a car. Sorry, but Muscat is not as small as Al Ain and the taxis are not everywhere. They're not reliable, and there are many stories of women being ripped off and hassled. If you need to take a taxi, sit in the back, look & act shy, wear a wedding ring. Even then, if you dont have your licence for over a year you will not be allowed to swap it for an Omani one. You will have to take the test here.

5. Internet. How accessible is the internet? Is it expensive? Can Skype be used?
I'm talking to you arent i? Skype can only work if you use an (illegal) VPN to connect up to the internet. Internet is accessible, and many options out there, but the service, and speed are not superb for the price. Google NAWRAS & OMANTEL and take a look at their service plans.