British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   The "Ladies" Of Dubai (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/ladies-dubai-441913/)

W10 Apr 13th 2007 7:03 pm

Re: The "Ladies" Of Dubai

I've heard the same story from almost every senior person working on that and other major projects.

The top contractors on JBR were all offered apartments at cost and most turned them down

Jammy_Dodgers Apr 13th 2007 11:21 pm

I can fully agree with alot of the above comments,
As an ex Porsche driving,fancy apartment owning expat, I have never know anywhere easier to get laid, even though I am hideous to behold.

It used to get boring when lady folk would say "it will have to be your place as i have a boyfriend/Husband/fiance (delete as applicable)

the place is shallow fickle and false, and I would never seriously consider dating anyone that i met here.

Before i get any grief, im aware what this place is about, and although i may not feel comfortable with it, i have come to accept it.

Miss Eck Apr 13th 2007 11:37 pm

Originally Posted by MJC (Post 4638131)
I think all the avbove comments just shows how Dubai is.

FALSE!

you started the conversation!!!!

Blue Cat Apr 14th 2007 5:49 am

Originally Posted by Jammy_Dodgers (Post 4639372)
As an ex Porsche driving,fancy apartment owning expat, I have never know anywhere easier to get laid, even though I am hideous to behold.

It used to get boring when lady folk would say "it will have to be your place as i have a boyfriend/Husband/fiance (delete as applicable)

the place is shallow fickle and false, and I would never seriously consider dating anyone that i met here.

Before i get any grief, im aware what this place is about, and although i may not feel comfortable with it, i have come to accept it.

It is a shame that Dubai has come to this, years ago you would never have heard these type of comments. Prior to Emirates Airlines the men used to complain about the lack of women, there used to be 5 men to every woman if I remember rightly. The women had choice and the men treat them well!!! :lol:

IndieG Apr 14th 2007 6:37 am

Originally Posted by MJC (Post 4638182)
well, apart from the huge dewa bills, the 10% service and municipality charge, the speeding fines, the road cgharges, the booze tax, the...

Should I go on?

But this is the same elsewhere too:confused:

My dewa bills are not huge - about 300 a month. If someone lives in a 4 bed villa with a garden and leave the lights, ac on 24 hours in every room, what do you expect? Still think the bills are lower in Dubai for the amount consumed.

Service Charges: :confused:

Speeding fines - I want the fines trebled! And 2nd offence - deported. Too many kids paying with their lives here:(

Dubai as a place was much better 10 years back. But strange as it may sound, we like it more now - probably because we are happier at our jobs.

Blue Cat Apr 14th 2007 6:47 am

Originally Posted by IndieGirl (Post 4640034)
But this is the same elsewhere too:confused:

My dewa bills are not huge - about 300 a month. If someone lives in a 4 bed villa with a garden and leave the lights, ac on 24 hours in every room, what do you expect? Still think the bills are lower in Dubai for the amount consumed.

Service Charges: :confused:

Speeding fines - I want the fines trebled! And 2nd offence - deported. Too many kids paying with their lives here:(

Dubai as a place was much better 10 years back. But strange as it may sound, we like it more now - probably because we are happier at our jobs.

I like it less, the traffic does me in!!!

IndieG Apr 14th 2007 6:54 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 4640046)
I like it less, the traffic does me in!!!

I know BC, I hate the traffic too. But you have the same problem in all crowded cities.

:)

Blue Cat Apr 14th 2007 7:16 am

Originally Posted by IndieGirl (Post 4640059)
I know BC, I hate the traffic too. But you have the same problem in all crowded cities.

:)

in that case I wish it wasn't crowded!!!

MataHari Apr 14th 2007 11:38 am

Originally Posted by Jammy_Dodgers (Post 4639372)

whatever next...Jammy for Pope...

alfro Apr 14th 2007 1:38 pm

As a single bloke about to move to Dubai, I really don't know how to take this thread at all.

A recently divorced bloke complaining about to much female attention??? Guys making statements about it being easy to get laid as if thats a bad thing?

I am confused... are all these "desperate" women hideously ugly or "mature" or what?

W10 Apr 14th 2007 1:52 pm

Go for it, you'll get bored of it within a year.

Or you could end up like the sad 50 year olds who spend their time chasing 25 year old girls.

indiegirl...its not the same. Any Western city worth its salt has a proper public transport system. Do I drive in London? Do I drive in NYC? Do I need to drive in Hong Kong? No...because I don't need to.

These are crowded cities, Dubai is NOT a crowded city. 1.4m people spread over a 50km stretch.

Dubai is just an appallingly planned city, which is amazing considering it is just that...a planned city. A city that openly stated 5 years ago it wanted to double its population within 10 years only just getting around to mass transit and building adequate road and taxi networks?

IndieG Apr 14th 2007 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by W10 (Post 4641073)
indiegirl...its not the same. Any Western city worth its salt has a proper public transport system. Do I drive in London? Do I drive in NYC? Do I need to drive in Hong Kong? No...because I don't need to.

These are crowded cities, Dubai is NOT a crowded city. 1.4m people spread over a 50km stretch.

Dubai is just an appallingly planned city, which is amazing considering it is just that...a planned city. A city that openly stated 5 years ago it wanted to double its population within 10 years only just getting around to mass transit and building adequate road and taxi networks?

I was just commenting on the traffic jams and not on the transportation system, which I agree with you.

I would NEVER recommend this place to anyone, unless they are getting a really fat package. Had a major reality check today, when looking for a 2 bed apartment for someone. See my post in the ME knowledge base thread.....

W10 Apr 14th 2007 2:07 pm

oh and thanks again for persuading me against ploughing cash into Air Arabia shares :D

alfro Apr 14th 2007 2:09 pm

now you are scaring me for all sorts of different reasons....

I was hoping to buy a decent sized villa when I moved in but I am discovering that these are hard to come by. All this talk of soulless city, terrible transportation, exorbitant rental prices, and sex starved women (:confused: ) not to mention poor quality buildings... I am starting to think I have made a mistake....

NorthernLad Apr 14th 2007 2:13 pm

I'm still surprised people try to compare Dubai directly with other cities that have been established for centuries.

I personally think Dubai is doing a pretty good job in the circumstances. If being very conservative, lets say it's being developing for 30 years. For the short amount of time it doesn't seem to be doing too badly. What was it supposed to do, sit back and rely on dwindling oil? There are problems, but these can't be solved overnight.

How about comparing Dubai to other 'new' cities - lets take Milton Keynes for example...I know which of the two places I'd prefer to live.

People complain about it being built on cheap labour (I am not saying this is right, I think the conditions of the construction workers are horrific), but if they can get away with it they will - it's the same in any business, you cut your costs as much as possible, and if people will work for what you offer, you do it.

Culture? What is expected from such a new city, a Royal Albert Hall, a Louvre???

Yes, the place has its faults but I admire it for what is trying to do - make something of itself.

(I'm just going to climb into the stocks ready for the inevitable barrage)