Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Lack of Clothes - again

Lack of Clothes - again

Old Jun 24th 2012, 8:14 am
You read these things?

auzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lack of Clothes - again

Originally Posted by Meow
I am getting tired of all this, particulary the screwed up thinking that morality and being a decent person is somehow linked to religion or how a person dresses.
Yup. I'm an atheist, but I don't 'preach' it to anyone. It's a highly personal choice. I don't believe it's my right to try and 'convert' anyone to my way of thinking, anymore than it is for them to do to me. So long as my beliefs don't lead to physical harm for them, and vice versa, I really have no problem if people want to believe there is an omnipotent man in the sky.

However, there is one thing that those who are religious sometimes say that will make rally against them is this. "Without religion, there is no morality."

Bullshit. BULL. SHIT.

Religion is an expression of morality; not the source of it. Of course, it's not in their interests to recognise that, is it now.
Old Jun 24th 2012, 8:15 am
Banned

desert_dwellers is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by norsk
maybe he meant 'throwing darts'?

Wonderful.. you took the bait, I was longing for some one to comment on my english because I have some telling things to say.
Prince Albert, the husband of Queen Victoria was pure German who spoke very basic English, conversing mainly in German with his wife. It was also rumoured (although it was all HUSH HUSH in the royal circles) that Queen Victoria's first language was not English but German because her mother was pure German who spoke very little English and it is a known fact that a mother passes her first language to her children. Added to all that the influence of the German-speaking (half) aunt and maids who were prominent in Victoria's early years, baring also in mind that English didn't have its current prestige in the 1830s.
We are not talking here about 'bloody foreigners coming to our country', we are talking about Royals whom the people of the UK then would lower their gaze and bow their heads when they went to meet them.
So I really suggest to flush the english language card down the toilet and lets face the music.

I could well imagine a setting of a banquet of dignitaries where Prince Albert is standing to give the after-dinner speech, he goes... "me hope nice you time have", then the attendees would give him a round of applause while giggling, then after he goes ... "Danke schön, .......oops.... me mean thank you"

It was rather a big embarrassment for the royals to have so much foreign blood in the family particularly of German type, therefore a decision was made not to repeat that mistake again and probably it was the reason why the late princes Diana who was pregnant by Dudi at the time met her tragic fate. Could you imagine the half brother of the heir to the thrown, not German this time, but bloody Arab!!!
Old Jun 24th 2012, 8:24 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by desert_dwellers
Wonderful.. you took the bait, I was longing for some one to comment on my english because I have some telling things to say.
Prince Albert, the husband of Queen Victoria was pure German who spoke very basic English, conversing mainly in German with his wife. It was also rumoured (although it was all HUSH HUSH in the royal circles) that Queen Victoria's first language was not English but German because her mother was pure German who spoke very little English and it is a known fact that a mother passes her first language to her children. Added to all that the influence of the German-speaking (half) aunt and maids who were prominent in Victoria's early years, baring also in mind that English didn't have its current prestige in the 1830s.
We are not talking here about 'bloody foreigners coming to our country', we are talking about Royals whom the people of the UK then would lower their gaze and bow their heads when they went to meet them.
So I really suggest to flush the english language card down the toilet and lets face the music.

I could well imagine a setting of a banquet of dignitaries where Prince Albert is standing to give the after-dinner speech, he goes... "me hope nice you time have", then the attendees would give him a round of applause while giggling, then after he goes ... "Danke schön, .......oops.... me mean thank you"

It was rather a big embarrassment for the royals to have so much foreign blood in the family particularly of German type, therefore a decision was made not to repeat that mistake again and probably it was the reason why the late princes Diana who was pregnant by Dudi at the time met her tragic fate. Could you imagine the half brother of the heir to the thrown, not German this time, but bloody Arab!!!

Do enlighten us as the relevance of this nonsensical wittering to the topic of the UAE Dress Code.
Old Jun 24th 2012, 8:28 am
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough

Oh I'm having fun with the #uaedresscode lot now on twitter. They're showing their true colours as nasty racists, I quote, As UAE citizen &pure local I've lived & went thro these FACTS. Go through UAE history & statistics b4 accusing." Is anyone a pure anything these days?

I decided not to add that they're all ex persians and indians, a smattering of africans too...

Pathetic and juvenile.
Old Jun 24th 2012, 8:36 am
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by auzdafluff
Yup. I'm an atheist, but I don't 'preach' it to anyone. It's a highly personal choice. I don't believe it's my right to try and 'convert' anyone to my way of thinking, anymore than it is for them to do to me. So long as my beliefs don't lead to physical harm for them, and vice versa, I really have no problem if people want to believe there is an omnipotent man in the sky.

Old Jun 24th 2012, 8:48 am
You read these things?

auzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond repute

+1
Old Jun 24th 2012, 9:14 am
Forum Regular

Mullet is a jewel in the roughMullet is a jewel in the roughMullet is a jewel in the roughMullet is a jewel in the rough

It's unfortunate to see this thread heading into anti-religion territory, especially when some of the posts have made really interesting reading.

The dress code is obviously a subject that is very close to people's hearts and for me the dress adopted by conservative Muslims is one of the biggest visible differences between their culture and the western European culture I have been raised in. The dress code is an easy 'issue' for Emiratis to focus on and to rally around as the cause of the issue lays with non-Muslim foreigners. It isn't an issue that would require any self-reflection or changes on the part of the native population as other more pertinent issues would (i.e. driving / treatment of maids / childhood obesity blah blah blah). However Dubai is an Islamic state and people who visit or live in the emirate should be made aware of and comply with local rules, regulations and customs, be they written or tacit. If you find the rules too oppressive you do not have to remain here to abide by them.

As far as I can see the reasoning for the introduction of a dress code is due to the Islamic views on modesty, especially the modesty of women and their dress. I do find the 'modesty' issue a difficult one to comprehend: Dubai as a city is the world leader in displaying wealth as overtly and crassly as possible. A state founded on the principle of modesty wouldn't have built the Burj Khalifa. The inhabitants of Dubai (both native and expatriate) generally take great care to outwardly display their personal financial wealth: everything here is about being noticed by others, be it through driving a mega 4x4 or Ferrari, owning a boat, building a garish villa or having a fancy mobile phone. Maybe I have grabbed the wrong end of the stick but I would be interested to understand how the concept of modesty in Islam is applied: does it have a more fundamental meaning that should be applied to the way people live their lives rather than just how they dress? How does owning a big expensive Lexus 4x4 with Burberry seat covers align with modesty or indeed morality?
Old Jun 24th 2012, 9:51 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
So true.

Being a decent human being and the attributes that go with it mean you are basically applicable to any religion you like, with a full pass to any heaven / virgins / fluffy cloud / lifetime of biscuits that comes with it.

Rather than initiate a subscription to any of them, I'd rather try and be a reasonably decent chap as much as possible and accept that one day my ashes will be somebodies fertilizer / fish food in the future.
Which religion's that and where can I sign up?
Old Jun 24th 2012, 9:53 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Which religion's that and where can I sign up?
It's called 'Scampology' and it's free, no hassle, no win - no fee, be a nice bloke and you get to feel good about yourself.

Donations only welcome if sent to a charity to aid the above.
Old Jun 24th 2012, 9:55 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

It's called 'Scampology' and it's free, no hassle, no win - no fee, be a nice bloke and you get to feel good about yourself.

Sounds good. I was vaguely interested in the one with the virgins, but I understand there's a barrier to entry...
Old Jun 24th 2012, 9:57 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Sounds good. I was vaguely interested in the one with the virgins, but I understand there's a barrier to entry...
Oh you can still have virgins in Scampology, it's just not a divine right after death.

If you find one tonight, and she's happy, consenting and willing then crack on Sir!
Old Jun 24th 2012, 9:59 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Boom tish!

Old Jun 24th 2012, 10:39 am
Perky but sarky

lullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
Do enlighten us as the relevance of this nonsensical wittering to the topic of the UAE Dress Code.
Old Jun 24th 2012, 10:44 am
Perky but sarky

lullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond repute

It's called 'Scampology' and it's free, no hassle, no win - no fee, be a nice bloke and you get to feel yourself.

Just sorted that for you.
Old Jun 24th 2012, 10:53 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by lullabelle
Just sorted that for you.
Thanks, and as an aside to that - it doesn't make you blind according to Scampology.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.