Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Kuwait - what's it like?

Kuwait - what's it like?

Old Jun 12th 2010, 10:42 pm

P18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Kuwait - what's it like?

I have an opportunity for a role in Kuwait. I have knowledge of the country from 30 years ago as a child growing up there, but there have been 2 wars since then and a lot has changed - does anyone have any experience as to what the culture is like these days? Family living? Safety? etc
Any info would be great.
Thanks
Old Jun 13th 2010, 7:33 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Kuwait - what's it like?

Very hot and humid with lots of sand and stuff
Old Jun 13th 2010, 7:45 am
BE Enthusiast

spartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of light

shit
Old Jun 13th 2010, 8:44 am

P18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys - ha ha ha .... sunday evening drinking and bored so go onto expats obviously your not in a dry state! Go and watch Antiques Roadshow instead.

If anyone does have any experience on what we could expect living in Kuwait these days - family of 5 with 3 daughters at pre-school, primary and secondary age.

thanks
Old Jun 17th 2010, 11:46 am
BE Enthusiast

gottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to all

like they say it is hot, humid and sandy. Like all ME countries it has shopping malls, fast food restaurants, supermarkets, Debenhams, Next, Ikea, Starbucks, cinemas and idiotic driving, You can find good quality apartments, good schools and it is safe. For 9 months of the year you can find some Kuwaitis with more money then sense. (they all leave for the summer because it is too hot, humid and sandy for them). It is dry so you have to enjoy your home brew.

Advatages are that you don't need an alarm clock.
Old Jun 17th 2010, 2:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

soukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond repute

I have had a couple of trips to Kuwait recently as my husband has some part time involvement in a project there. The drving is much worse than UAE - it's unbelievable. Shopping is good but I found it more expensive than UAE. Lot's of good restaurants and yes it was hot but not as humid as UAE. Accomodation is much cheaper than Abu Dhabi and there are a lot of serviced apartments around. I heard good reports about the British School there. Lovely old souk that is well worth a visit.
Old Jun 19th 2010, 6:37 am
Banned

Bijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond repute

Driving is terrible.

I lived there for a few years recently compared with UAE:

Better currency - not attached to USD
Better climate with a couple of seasons
An NHS which is fine!
Very little humidity
Cheaper housing
5 day week good labour laws
Easy to travel around because it is at the top of the Gulf

It is safe. I enjoyed it there.