Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Kuwait - salary and satndard of living

Kuwait - salary and satndard of living

Old Nov 13th 2008, 8:38 pm
Forum Regular

hubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nice
Default Kuwait - salary and satndard of living

Hi

My husband has a potential job offer for a multi national company in Kuwait. The offer is 2200KD per month ($8000 USD) with monthly housing allowance of 350 KD per month, and car 100KD per month. On top is an annual bonus of roughly 30% of annual salary. Accompanying would be me (wife) and 1 year old daughter. We are currently living in Australia and earn a godd combined wage so don't want to head out there is we are significantly worse off.

Could someone provide rough monthly outgoings so we could attempt to assess this offer.
cost of accomodation (villa not apartment)
average grocery shop
car lease (standard sedan)

Thanks for your help.
Old Nov 14th 2008, 7:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

UKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kuwait - salary and satndard of living

Hi Hubbard

Im off to kuwait and accepted a job offer - heading from UK.

The offer looks good - what about school though ?

Gent
Old Nov 15th 2008, 5:40 pm
Forum Regular

Khiran is an unknown quantity at this point

it is a good offer. I'm in Kuwait for six years already and I do belive you can save most of your income. We are a family of six and we spend around 300 KD per month on food. other expenditure are more likely depends on your life style and your shopping hobbits.
Old Nov 15th 2008, 5:46 pm
Forum Regular

Answering your question about housing, you can find a decent flat for 250-300 KD but if you are looking for a villa or a flat in a serviced building than you would probably pay 500 to 1500 depinding on location.
My flat is on the coast line 20 minute from Kuwait city in a new building with a nice sea view, private gym, secured parking,.... I pay 750 KD per month. it is not cheap but you get what yo pay for. I think the market now is more reasonable than before and you may find good offers.
Old Nov 15th 2008, 9:27 pm
Forum Regular

hubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nice

Thank you for the responses. Our baby is only 12 months so schooling is not a requirement. Does anyone have any weblinks for accomodation sites in Kuwait - I have searched but drawn a blank. I am trying to get an idea of what an apartment would look like for between 500 - 750 KD per month.
Old Nov 15th 2008, 10:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

UKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Khiran
Answering your question about housing, you can find a decent flat for 250-300 KD but if you are looking for a villa or a flat in a serviced building than you would probably pay 500 to 1500 depinding on location.
My flat is on the coast line 20 minute from Kuwait city in a new building with a nice sea view, private gym, secured parking,.... I pay 750 KD per month. it is not cheap but you get what yo pay for. I think the market now is more reasonable than before and you may find good offers.
Hi Khiran

Im coming out there this week - hopefully on friday - wheres about are you ?

750KD is about my price range as well - i need a gym and swimming pool and ideally the sea view too

Thanks

Gent
Old Nov 16th 2008, 4:18 am
Forum Regular

They call it Mangaf and it is not far from the Hilton Resort. I would advise you to look at an area that is near your work. morning traffic is a bit annoying.
Old Nov 16th 2008, 4:26 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by hubbard
Thank you for the responses. Our baby is only 12 months so schooling is not a requirement. Does anyone have any weblinks for accomodation sites in Kuwait - I have searched but drawn a blank. I am trying to get an idea of what an apartment would look like for between 500 - 750 KD per month.
I dought you can find anything thru the internet and I don't advise you to rent without seeing yourself. if your budget is500 to 750, than you will find a very good accommodation in a well serviced building or at least a floor in a new villa.
Old Jun 11th 2009, 8:43 am
Forum Regular

Wilderbeest is an unknown quantity at this point

Thought I would reignite this thread as I may be in a similar situation in a few months time...

My husband has a job offer in Kuwait though no idea of the package and exact location. I'm a bit nervous about moving there given past conflicts and probably because I have never been to the ME (I'm a bit of a worrier). We have a 1 year old baby and possibly thinking of trying for another in 6 months time (when we might be out there).

My questions are really;

1. How safe is it to live in Kuwait?
2. What is there to do for mums that are not working?
3. Are there any baby clubs or classes?
4. Are the locals friendly?
5. Not knowing the language, is that a problem?
6. What are living standards like?
7. Getting out and about, mum and baby, by public transport is that difficult?
8. Having another baby out there, is healthcare practices uptodate and as good (or as bad depends how you see it) as the UK?

I could probably go-on as I am quite anxious about the prospect of the move. Hope you lot can help!

Thanks
B
Old Jun 11th 2009, 1:29 pm
Forum Regular

Hi,
I'm no longer living in Kuwait but I keep traveling over there very often so I will try to answer your questions.

1. How safe is it to live in Kuwait?
It is one of the safest places in the Middle East. You may find the name of Kuwait is associated with may previous conflicts, but it is really safe. From my experience, Kuwait is a family oriented place. If you have a family and you want to work in the Gulf, Kuwait is the right place for you.

2. What is there to do for mums that are not working?
My wife never worked in Kuwait so she kept herself busy taking care of our kids, shopping around, going to gym,.... if you can live in the mangaf or mahbula area, than you can buy a membership in the Hilton resort. a relatively big place where you can swim with your kids, attend a nice gym or just walk around in a beautiful landscaped area.

3. Are there any baby clubs or classes?
I'm not sure about this one but I think there is.

4. Are the locals friendly?
Your contact with locales is limited and I would advice you to keep it limited. they are nice people but they have a different culture and you may not like it. some people work for years here with no needs to communicate with locales.

5. Not knowing the language, is that a problem?
Everybody speaks english.

6. What are living standards like?
the quality of life depends on your income. if you earn enough money, you can enjoy each and everyday. life is not cheap and you will find yourself spending a lot of money shopping around as it may be the only enjoyment in the hot summer.

7. Getting out and about, mum and baby, by public transport is that difficult?
It is impossible. I didn't try it myself but buying a car will be a smart idea. cars are cheap and fuel is cheaper than water.

8. Having another baby out there, is practices uptodate and as good (or as bad depends how you see it) as the UK?
I'm not from the UK so I can't compare the quality. my wife delivered three kids in Kuwait in a private hospital and I can say that the service is satisfactory. make sure your husband will get a family health insurance from a private insurance company as private health care is very expensive.

Let me know if you have any other specific questions.

good luck
Old Jun 15th 2009, 10:57 am
Forum Regular

Wilderbeest is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Khiran for the info, it's been very helpful

It's all gone a bit quiet on the job offer (mainly talk but nothing in writing) so I'll hold off just now with any more questions.

B