Kuwait

Old Oct 27th 2005, 10:37 am
Up in the air

Jammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Kuwait

A friend of mine has been offered a contract in Kuwait.

Anyone been there recently ?? What's the attitude to drinking etc.
(my advice so far has been to spend weekends in Manama or Dubai)

He just want to know how it compares to other Arab countries

comments please.............
Old Oct 27th 2005, 10:57 am

Welivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kuwait

I have spent a quite a bit of time there of the last year or so and found it about as much fun as gargling wasps.

It is very quiet, when I asked one of the locals I worked with what there was to do in the evenings he said you can:

a) Go home, spend tme wth your family, eat dinner, go to bed.
or
b) Go home, collect your family, go out for dinner, go to bed.

During the day and weekends you are pretty much limited to shopping malls and coffee shops.

Booze wise, it is dry, it was offered by taxi drivers but a bottle of Smirnoff or Scotch would cost between $120 to $150USD. I am sure if you are there longer term you could source it cheaper but that was the best we found.

Personally I found Kuwaiti's superfically nice but very aloof, superior and it was difficult to find the real person if that makes sense.

Professionally Kuwait is a frustrating place to work, people will tell you what they think you want to hear, say they will do what you ask them and then carry on exactly the way there were before you arrived. As a PM and consultant this is a nightmare.

As you can gather from the tone, I didn't really enjoy my time there and if you mate is looking to fly out for the weekend he had better book months in advance, the airport there is slammed on a Wed and it is mission impossible to get a seat.....

I can go on but typing it is taking too long. PM if you or your mate wanna chat about the place and I'll give the tel no...

Last edited by Welivehere; Oct 27th 2005 at 10:59 am.
Old Oct 27th 2005, 11:51 am
Up in the air

Jammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Welivehere
I have spent a quite a bit of time there of the last year or so and found it about as much fun as gargling wasps.

It is very quiet, when I asked one of the locals I worked with what there was to do in the evenings he said you can:

a) Go home, spend tme wth your family, eat dinner, go to bed.
or
b) Go home, collect your family, go out for dinner, go to bed.

During the day and weekends you are pretty much limited to shopping malls and coffee shops.

Booze wise, it is dry, it was offered by taxi drivers but a bottle of Smirnoff or Scotch would cost between $120 to $150USD. I am sure if you are there longer term you could source it cheaper but that was the best we found.

Personally I found Kuwaiti's superfically nice but very aloof, superior and it was difficult to find the real person if that makes sense.

Professionally Kuwait is a frustrating place to work, people will tell you what they think you want to hear, say they will do what you ask them and then carry on exactly the way there were before you arrived. As a PM and consultant this is a nightmare.

As you can gather from the tone, I didn't really enjoy my time there and if you mate is looking to fly out for the weekend he had better book months in advance, the airport there is slammed on a Wed and it is mission impossible to get a seat.....

I can go on but typing it is taking too long. PM if you or your mate wanna chat about the place and I'll give the tel no...
Sounds exactly like Saudi on most levels...
Old Oct 27th 2005, 12:19 pm

Welivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jammy_Dodgers
Sounds exactly like Saudi on most levels...
Haven't had the pleasure yet... :scared:

Maybe if you mate was established there, had a permanent base, built a group of friends etc things would be better but for me flying in for the start of working week, living in a hotel and then flying out again at the end of week it got tiresome real quick.....