KSA vs Qatar

Old Jan 15th 2022, 10:43 am
Forum Regular

w_scott has a reputation beyond reputew_scott has a reputation beyond reputew_scott has a reputation beyond reputew_scott has a reputation beyond reputew_scott has a reputation beyond reputew_scott has a reputation beyond reputew_scott has a reputation beyond reputew_scott has a reputation beyond reputew_scott has a reputation beyond reputew_scott has a reputation beyond reputew_scott has a reputation beyond repute
Default KSA vs Qatar

Hi guys

After 6+ months in KSA moving from Qatar I notice the following differences:

-Life in KSA is more expensive than Qatar (except probably housing). Although Qatar has no VAT yet, but the 15% VAT in KSA does not justify the 30% (at least) increase in cost of living. Cars (both old and new) are at least 30% higher in KSA. Some items are ridiculously expensive such as dishwasher tabs, toilet paper, and vegetables (despite locally produced).

-Food quality in KSA is bad compared to Qatar given the same product. For example, I find all types of cheese deteriorating after a few days in the fridge in KSA, whereas the same type of cheese would stay weeks in the fridge in Qatar without change in the quality. It might be a problem with storage, transportation or both in KSA.

-I was thinking customer service in Qatar is bad until I came to KSA.

-Local people in KSA are more friendly (in my view) than locals in Qatar.

-Roads in KSA are much worse than Qatar in terms of quality, design and signs. No wonder accidents are very common. Many intersections have absolutely no signs whatsoever and leaving it to drivers to decide! The right of the way is for the ones who enter first/faster.

-Education quality (schools) is much worse in KSA than in Qatar. Yet, it is more expensive with limited choices.

-Fuel in KSA is less Octane and higher price than KSA

-People in KSA are less ethical than Qatar.
Old Jan 16th 2022, 3:31 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: KSA vs Qatar

Interesting observations there. Where you based?
and where you shopping?!
Old Jan 16th 2022, 4:56 pm
Forum Regular

w_scott has a reputation beyond reputew_scott has a reputation beyond reputew_scott has a reputation beyond reputew_scott has a reputation beyond reputew_scott has a reputation beyond reputew_scott has a reputation beyond reputew_scott has a reputation beyond reputew_scott has a reputation beyond reputew_scott has a reputation beyond reputew_scott has a reputation beyond reputew_scott has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nonthaburi
Interesting observations there. Where you based?
and where you shopping?!
I am in the eastern province. I tried all sorts of supermarkets and found them all bad. Maybe the less worst one is Carrefour, and the worst of the worst is Panda
Old Jan 16th 2022, 4:58 pm
Forum Regular

Also I don't understand why the phone bill is every 28 days? They eat one month almost every year! The salary comes every 30 or 31 days though!
Old Jan 17th 2022, 1:22 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by w_scott
I am in the eastern province. I tried all sorts of supermarkets and found them all bad. Maybe the less worst one is Carrefour, and the worst of the worst is Panda
Even Tamimi? I don't shop there much myself, but fruit and veg are normally fine, albeit expensive.

Old Jan 17th 2022, 1:25 am

Also I don't understand why the phone bill is every 28 days? They eat one month almost every year! The salary comes every 30 or 31 days though!
I don't have a landline so I wouldn't know. Just put credit on my phone as I need it. Hardly make any calls though and minutes come free with my internet package.
Old Jan 28th 2022, 3:47 pm
Forum Regular

I don't have a landline so I wouldn't know. Just put credit on my phone as I need it. Hardly make any calls though and minutes come free with my internet package.
who uses landlines these days? I mean when subscribing to any post-paid package, it is valid only for 28 days!
Old Jan 28th 2022, 3:49 pm
Forum Regular

Even Tamimi? I don't shop there much myself, but fruit and veg are normally fine, albeit expensive.
I tried it once and don't like it.
Add to the list of very expensive items compared to Qatar: all cereals and weet-bix. Who noticed at the start of this year all dairy products prices have silently been increased?
Old Jan 28th 2022, 5:48 pm

who uses landlines these days? I mean when subscribing to any post-paid package, it is valid only for 28 days!
I think that's your provider. My home internet is Mobily which is monthly, and ditto my phone package with Virgin.
Old Jan 29th 2022, 2:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paracletus will become famous soon enoughParacletus will become famous soon enough

I've tried the local panda, Danube and farm. Vegetables seem ok and not too badly priced. Meat is a different issue. Dreadful quality. The imported stuff is ok, but a bit pricey.

On the road issue, there seems to be a national issue with the design of them. Junctions especially.

Customer service is really hit and miss.
Old Feb 2nd 2022, 4:11 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Paracletus
I've tried the local panda, Danube and farm. Vegetables seem ok and not too badly priced. Meat is a different issue. Dreadful quality. The imported stuff is ok, but a bit pricey.

On the road issue, there seems to be a national issue with the design of them. Junctions especially.

Customer service is really hit and miss.
A few weeks ago I happened to be near the local vege market. The quality of fresh produce was very good compared to supermarket and cheaper.
For meat, I found Farms supermarket has the best quality imported meat.