British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   KSA is now non compliant for offshore banking - official (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/ksa-now-non-compliant-offshore-banking-official-689015/)

arc en ciel Oct 10th 2010 8:58 pm

KSA is now non compliant for offshore banking - official

I tried to open an offsore bank account with HSBC as a Saudi resident and a UK citizen and was told as from September it is no longer permitted to open an offshore account as a resident of KSA because the KSA falls foul of banking regulations/compliance so what the hell are we supposed to do now ? They also told me I will not be able to open an account with any other IOM/Channel Islands based offshore bank eg: Lloyds, Standard etc etc and I can't officially open a UK based account as I'm non resident ! How will this affect existing customers who are using a Saudi address or business address for corresspondence ? Not good at all.

hnd Oct 10th 2010 9:19 pm

Re: KSA is now non compliant for offshore banking - official

Don't understand this at all. KSA is non-compliant for offshore banking? What's that got to do with it? Surely it must be whether the applicant for the offshore account can meet the offshore banking regulations?

arc en ciel Oct 10th 2010 9:37 pm

Sense or not, that is exactly what I have been told by their new business-personal acquisitions dept directly by phone and email - [email protected]

Bijilo123 Oct 11th 2010 12:25 am

Then keep your money in the region or send it to your onshore account.

...but suggest you try Bradford and Bingley International in IoM - they were the only one (other than some obscure and now very definitely defunct Icelandic bank) who offered me their offshore services when I was in Kuwait - which is a problem country for banking.

Bijilo123 Oct 11th 2010 12:28 am

Originally Posted by hnd (Post 8909506)
Don't understand this at all. KSA is non-compliant for offshore banking? What's that got to do with it? Surely it must be whether the applicant for the offshore account can meet the offshore banking regulations?

It was difficult to open one in Kuwait as it is difficult to give a personal postal address and the banks don't like opening an acount based on a business address. That has nothing to do with offshore banking regulations.

Millhouse Oct 11th 2010 7:36 am

Originally Posted by Bijilo123 (Post 8909727)
Then keep your money in the region or send it to your onshore account.

...but suggest you try Bradford and Bingley International in IoM - they were the only one (other than some obscure and now very definitely defunct Icelandic bank) who offered me their offshore services when I was in Kuwait - which is a problem country for banking.

I used Alliance and Leicester for the same reasons. Very simple with them, rejected by the others.

Oddly, the accounts are all actually held with HSBC anyway.

lionheart Oct 11th 2010 8:48 am

Fortunately KSA was evidently compliant for the 8+ years that I worked there. Its obviously a new development, which people should be made fully aware of before accepting an employment position there.

arc en ciel Oct 11th 2010 9:40 pm

No further comments, reaction or suggestions from any residents or any one in the know ? Pathetic, really pathetic ! I wonder why I bother to look on this site at all anymore, it seems to be a waste of effort !

weasel central Oct 11th 2010 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by arc en ciel (Post 8911800)
No further comments, reaction or suggestions from any residents or any one in the know ? Pathetic, really pathetic ! I wonder why I bother to look on this site at all anymore, it seems to be a waste of effort !

I wonder why you bother also....

hnd Oct 11th 2010 9:57 pm

Are you saying that the ONLY bank account you hold anywhere in the world is in KSA?

Bijilo123 Oct 12th 2010 3:52 am

You've been given four perfectly good suggestions:

local bank
direct transfer to your uk bank from your employer
A&L
BBI

There is no need to have an offshore account and any combination of these will be adequate.

Stop feeling sorry for yourself - your choice to go there!

Millhouse Oct 12th 2010 4:15 am

Originally Posted by arc en ciel (Post 8911800)

what more did you want? A list of offshore banks that one could find using the magic website called google?