British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   ME Job Discussions (https://britishexpats.com/forum/me-job-discussions-136/)
-   -   KSA Job Offer (https://britishexpats.com/forum/me-job-discussions-136/ksa-job-offer-933169/)

HB89 Jun 12th 2020 7:06 pm

KSA Job Offer

Hi,

I've been offered a Head of' role by Tawuniyain Riyadh for £158k (includes base, accommodation and travel). I will be moving over with my wife and child (20 months) and I want to plan my spend as best possible so as to maximise enjoying the new adventure but also maximising my money.

I want to live in a really nice western compound, afford a decent safe car, save for holidays, able to help family in the UK and save for future financial security. I am not fussed about wearing/owning bling or eating out all the time. We enjoy cooking.

In addition to the above the company are offering:
- Tuition for up to 3 children
- 1 x Family Return Ticket UK-KSA
- Insurance discounts
- Bonus of up to £35k.

Is the offer reasonable for the industry and role? Anyone know what it's like to work there? Is it enough to live the above lifestyle requirements?

With regards to maximising wealth; I want to make my money grow/work. How best do you suggest I do this? I have seen SAAB Premier Accounts and Wealth management. Any contact/links for financial advice?

Many thanks
HB89

nonthaburi Jun 13th 2020 7:28 am

Re: KSA Job Offer

Just on the numbers, that's about 13k gbp a month, or around 65k SAR.
Accommodation may set you back 20-30k for a 3 bedroom villa depending on what you call nice. Call it 25 and you're left with 40.
Living cost maybe another 10 k and you're left with 30.
Minus the car. I'd suggest just renting something the first six months. You might hate the role or the place.
In fac , I'd suggest coming out on your own first for six months. Get yourself sorted, decide if you like it, then start building the nest.

Of course there's loads of room to play with on the figures. 2 bedroom apartment rather than a villa etc etc. Only you know what your saving target is , and whether it's worth it.

nonthaburi Jun 13th 2020 7:30 am

Oh yeah , personally I'd stay away from SABB. Found them terrible in the past.

HB89 Jun 14th 2020 10:12 am

Saving 30k SAR is a good amount by expat standards or am I wasting an opportunity?

From accommodation my wife and I like Al Nakhla. Seems on paper a good compound, agree? Are there similar ones?

HB89 Jun 14th 2020 10:14 am

Originally Posted by nonthaburi (Post 12866067)
Oh yeah , personally I'd stay away from SABB. Found them terrible in the past.

Who do you suggest? I've banked with Barclays but they don't seem to have a presence there. HSBC and SABB are linked so i've opened a HSBC Advanced account here in the UK and will start using them more. Aim is to have an existing relationship prior to moving. If they are no good who do recommend? Whomever I go with I will choose the premier service.

Trailing_Hubby Jun 14th 2020 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by HB89 (Post 12866735)
From accommodation my wife and I like Al Nakhla. Seems on paper a good compound, agree? Are there similar ones?

We are in a similar boat and should be out in a couple of months. We'll be in Al Nakhla to start with, and it does look nice. Al Bustan was the other one I saw that was along the same kind of lines.

omega7 Jun 14th 2020 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by HB89 (Post 12866735)
Saving 30k SAR is a good amount by expat standards or am I wasting an opportunity?

Well to be able to offer more insight, one would need to compare it with how much 1) you make now and 2) how much of that you save now?

HB89 Jun 15th 2020 10:35 am

Originally Posted by omega7 (Post 12866910)
Well to be able to offer more insight, one would need to compare it with how much 1) you make now and 2) how much of that you save now?

Compared to what I am on now it's a huge pay rise and in terms of savings, consider current savings non-existent. Compared to my current situation it's a great position to be in. My question is by rule of thumb am I saving what you would expect an expat in my position to be saving, am I wasting an opportunity to save more, or comparatively it's a reasonable amount?

HB89 Jun 15th 2020 10:36 am

Originally Posted by Trailing_Hubby (Post 12866836)
We are in a similar boat and should be out in a couple of months. We'll be in Al Nakhla to start with, and it does look nice. Al Bustan was the other one I saw that was along the same kind of lines.

Late-July/August is when I am expecting to fly out. Hopefully see you out there.

Trailing_Hubby Jun 15th 2020 10:58 am

Originally Posted by HB89 (Post 12867148)
Late-July/August is when I am expecting to fly out. Hopefully see you out there.

:thumbsup:

In terms of saving, I guess it's all about balance and it's probably no good comparing with other people. There'll be those who are out there to save every penny and don't go out anywhere, and others who will be flying off somewhere every weekend making the most of the salary. £30k SAR is a decent chunk a month to be saving I would say.

wonderer123 Jun 15th 2020 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by HB89 (Post 12867148)

Good luck with the move, we are in a similar situation, though no guarantee that international flights will open up by July/August.

Trailing_Hubby Jun 15th 2020 5:52 pm

If we don't get a commercial flight there'll be a chartered one as I understand it.

HB89 Jun 18th 2020 2:44 pm

Out of interest have you got your via yet? I have submitted my Fit and Proper from to the company who have signed their bit and submitted to SAMA. It's been well over two weeks we've heard nothing back and the recruiter now thinks we should be considering Sep20 as a more realistic start date especially since we then need to apply for the Visa application after this step.

Would just love a date to work towards. The wait is bad, the not knowing is the worst.

Trailing_Hubby Jun 18th 2020 3:22 pm

It's the wife's job, but not yet I think. Although they did want her to fly out last week, so it might all be fine.

HB89 Jun 18th 2020 4:06 pm

So she has her Visa? Do you mind telling me what field she is working in? My wife is looking to work once we are out there (to maintain her own career and manage boredom). Just curious to know what other fields/industries expats work in (aside from teaching and oil/engineering).