Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

KSA - Exporting a car?

KSA - Exporting a car?

Old Nov 6th 2016, 6:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

nottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: KSA - Exporting a car?

I was expecting to pay Customs and Duty upon first arrival. Apparently I have 14 days in which to notify HMRS of the vehicle arriving, have to pay the customs and duty and only after that, can I proceed with the IVA / Mods/ Registration.
Old Nov 6th 2016, 8:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nottmbantam
I was expecting to pay Customs and Duty upon first arrival. Apparently I have 14 days in which to notify HMRS of the vehicle arriving, have to pay the customs and duty and only after that, can I proceed with the IVA / Mods/ Registration.
you won't have to pay VAT or duty on the car providing you've owned it for a minimum of 6 months prior to arriving in the UK. Also - it's 12 months you need to keep it for rather than the 24 I mentioned earlier. Link below.

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...-the-uk-on-tor
Old Nov 7th 2016, 12:28 am
BE Forum Addict

nottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brains1983
you won't have to pay VAT or duty on the car providing you've owned it for a minimum of 6 months prior to arriving in the UK. Also - it's 12 months you need to keep it for rather than the 24 I mentioned earlier. Link below.

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...-the-uk-on-tor
Thanks Brains - saved me some dosh! Nice little bonus. Will use the money to pay for IVA and modifications and I guess I'll have to drive it around for a year before selling up. Cheers.
Old Nov 7th 2016, 6:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
Try an app called Navmii, it is based on your smartphone but you can download all the maps prior to using it. It will then work off your gps so no need for a data connection. You could see how it works in KSA before ordering a dedicated unit
Update on this - I downloaded the app, after a couple of emails back and forth directly with the developer, and most of the Middle East maps are a free download and quite a lot of the European maps ( mainly Eastern Europe ) are also free. The main Western Europe maps are in-app purchase, around 2.29 GBP each.

Not used it in anger yet, but looks a neat app. Will have to test it in offline mode.

Interestingly, Google Maps also allows an offline mode, but you can only download areas/ regions but they time expire after around 30 days.
Old Nov 8th 2016, 11:16 pm
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nottmbantam
Update on this - I downloaded the app, after a couple of emails back and forth directly with the developer, and most of the Middle East maps are a free download and quite a lot of the European maps ( mainly Eastern Europe ) are also free. The main Western Europe maps are in-app purchase, around 2.29 GBP each.

Not used it in anger yet, but looks a neat app. Will have to test it in offline mode.

Interestingly, Google Maps also allows an offline mode, but you can only download areas/ regions but they time expire after around 30 days.
Good hope it works. I have found it great on Android, just on the freebie maps.
Old Nov 9th 2016, 5:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Right - latest update:

After asking a couple of people, I now have a clear set of instructions on how to get the Export Papers required for the vehicle, seems a straightforward process. If anyone wants to know, drop me a PM.

The last piece in this little jigsaw is clarification on whether I can simply drive the car out of KSA on a Final Exit along with the Export Papers. The rule in KSA is that you cannot Final Exit with a car still registered in your name.

Thank you to all for your help , advice and suggestions so far.