Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Kindle versus Ipad in Dubai

Kindle versus Ipad in Dubai

Old Oct 12th 2010, 11:57 am
Forum Regular

xpatadventure is just really nicexpatadventure is just really nicexpatadventure is just really nicexpatadventure is just really nicexpatadventure is just really nicexpatadventure is just really nicexpatadventure is just really nicexpatadventure is just really nice
Default Kindle versus Ipad in Dubai

Hello,

I'd like to know if anyone has a Kindle bought from US/UK and using it here in Dubai. Is there any problem of downloading from here?

I heard that the Ipad has similar features with other new things on it as well. My purpose is mainly for reading. Actually, I want to get it for my 6 years old daughter who loves reading.

Any comments would greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old Oct 12th 2010, 5:59 pm
need a new teeshirt

heartofdarkness is a jewel in the roughheartofdarkness is a jewel in the roughheartofdarkness is a jewel in the roughheartofdarkness is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Kindle versus Ipad in Dubai

You won't have any problems with Kindle downloads in UAE as long as your account has UK/U.S credit card. I would go with IPAD. Graphics/color superior and loads of apps for young readers. Plus you have choice of Apple bookstore and Kindle App.The IPAD just does so much more. It will really replace your laptop if your not using it for hardcore work related tasks. Only negative with IPAD is is a bit heavier than a kindle and the glare from screen makes it less than optimal for hanging by the pool and reading.
Old Oct 13th 2010, 6:06 am
Account Closed

Tillybean is an unknown quantity at this point

This is exactly the conversation I had in the office this week, and I went for a Kindle which I am picking up when I am back in the UK next week.

I asked people who used both and the consensus was if you just want it for pure reading, then the Kindle is the one to go for. It's lightweight, the screen doesnt have any glare, its very portable and easy to slip into a handbag or similar, robust and the downloads are available here and very simple to do. You can also subscribe to newspapers etc so can keep in touch with the real world.

The iPad received a lot of positive comments - I have four colleagues who use them every day in the office alongside their desktop computers - but it is more of a computer than just a reader. It's heavier and bigger than a Kindle but of course offers the functionalities of a computer which for some is an advantage.

I already use a Macbook so wasnt looking for a portable computer; purely an ebook reader, hence me plumping for the Kindle which I ordered via Amazon - got the 3G wi-fi version.
Old Oct 13th 2010, 4:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

BurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tillybean View Post
This is exactly the conversation I had in the office this week, and I went for a Kindle which I am picking up when I am back in the UK next week.

I asked people who used both and the consensus was if you just want it for pure reading, then the Kindle is the one to go for. It's lightweight, the screen doesnt have any glare, its very portable and easy to slip into a handbag or similar, robust and the downloads are available here and very simple to do. You can also subscribe to newspapers etc so can keep in touch with the real world.

The iPad received a lot of positive comments - I have four colleagues who use them every day in the office alongside their desktop computers - but it is more of a computer than just a reader. It's heavier and bigger than a Kindle but of course offers the functionalities of a computer which for some is an advantage.

I already use a Macbook so wasnt looking for a portable computer; purely an ebook reader, hence me plumping for the Kindle which I ordered via Amazon - got the 3G wi-fi version.
Have used both and they are both excellent and different.

If you like to read novels - the Kindle is cheaper and has an incredible screen and battery life.

If you like blogging, tweeting, browsing, gaming, rocking, emailing, etc - iPad is your choice. It's worth every cent.

It's a mistake to try and compare the two.
Old Oct 15th 2010, 8:15 am
Forum Regular

melb_ksa is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by xpatadventure View Post
Hello,

I'd like to know if anyone has a Kindle bought from US/UK and using it here in Dubai. Is there any problem of downloading from here?

I heard that the Ipad has similar features with other new things on it as well. My purpose is mainly for reading. Actually, I want to get it for my 6 years old daughter who loves reading.

Any comments would greatly appreciated.

Thanks
If you are getting it for your daughter, get the iPad as it's more interactive and has picture books and such. For yourself however, I'd say go Kindle. You can get the 6" wireless model for about $140, which is a bargain.