Kindle

Old Aug 2nd 2010, 10:09 am
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kindle

Originally Posted by Dilmun
I can't download anything here. Have tried in Saudi, Egypt, Qatar.
Interesting - the Amazon site suggests it should work!

Oh well.
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 3:31 pm
Forum Regular

Dilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by cheeznleez
The reason I was asking about 3G was to see if the books actually downloaded automatically here - if not, it's not worth the extra $$..

However I did call Amazon and for those reading this thread here's the skinny on what they told me: If one manages to get a Kindle in this country (even though their website says they currently do not offer services to the UAE, their 3G map says that they do), you would be able to purchase and download books to your kindle in the UAE. It doesn't matter where your credit card is registered, you would still be able to purchase and download a book.

I think I'll be placing my order today.....
Again, I can't download a thing, but they told me, that they are working on it, so there is some hope. According to the amazon map there is coverage, but again, I can't download.
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 2:09 am
Forum Regular

cheeznleez is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dilmun
Again, I can't download a thing, but they told me, that they are working on it, so there is some hope. According to the amazon map there is coverage, but again, I can't download.
Do you have the international version? Also, you can download to your computer and transfer via usb so you don't have to wait until you are "home" to stock up on books......
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 6:26 am
Forum Regular

g18c is a name known to allg18c is a name known to allg18c is a name known to allg18c is a name known to allg18c is a name known to allg18c is a name known to allg18c is a name known to allg18c is a name known to allg18c is a name known to allg18c is a name known to allg18c is a name known to all

Interesting this was posted, my friend is in the States and will be bringing me back a Kindle DX.

I also asked the same questions.

Another friend bought one in the states, and he uses it here with 3G so for him it is working. I am not so worried about the 3G however as everything can be done on USB, at least with the Kindle DX.

The thing you will need to check is native support for PDF... if your kindle model does not have native PDF support the files will need to be converted and will require the Kindle Amazon service to push the files to you - i think its a 10 cents charge for each document converted?

HTH!

Cheers
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 11:18 am
Forum Regular

cheeznleez is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by g18c
Interesting this was posted, my friend is in the States and will be bringing me back a Kindle DX.

I also asked the same questions.

Another friend bought one in the states, and he uses it here with 3G so for him it is working. I am not so worried about the 3G however as everything can be done on USB, at least with the Kindle DX.

The thing you will need to check is native support for PDF... if your kindle model does not have native PDF support the files will need to be converted and will require the Kindle Amazon service to push the files to you - i think its a 10 cents charge for each document converted?

HTH!

Cheers
How does one check that? I'd be buying the most up to date model, so I'd assume it would have those files?
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 4:33 pm
Forum Regular

g18c is a name known to allg18c is a name known to allg18c is a name known to allg18c is a name known to allg18c is a name known to allg18c is a name known to allg18c is a name known to allg18c is a name known to allg18c is a name known to allg18c is a name known to allg18c is a name known to all

Hi if its the latest version it may even have Wifi! It depends, can you please specify the model you have ordered, is it the Kindle 2 or Kindle DX?
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 8:31 pm
Forum Regular

Dilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud of

Do you have the international version? Also, you can download to your computer and transfer via usb so you don't have to wait until you are "home" to stock up on books......
I have the international version. Got it in March this year. Downloads are through the so called whispernet with 3g connection. But don't expect too much technical info from my side, I am just a stupid user
Old Aug 24th 2010, 9:26 pm
Forum Regular

Mariah_Saudi is just really niceMariah_Saudi is just really niceMariah_Saudi is just really niceMariah_Saudi is just really niceMariah_Saudi is just really niceMariah_Saudi is just really niceMariah_Saudi is just really niceMariah_Saudi is just really nice

Looking into getting a Kindle. I've been reading on various expat sites that they do work over here, but I'd like to know how: Amazon says that services to the UAE currently don't exist, but people are managing to get them to work.

I'm assuming that you download to the computer and transfer via USB?

Any help or advice would be appreciated!
I was wondering if you managed to shop from the kindle store in UAE did it work?
Old Aug 25th 2010, 7:42 am
Forum Regular

Little Toot is an unknown quantity at this point

I have had my kindle since March. It was bought in the UK, but shipped from the US.
I downloaded my first book yesterday in the UAE from the UK Amazon Website which I had set up before I arrived. No probs. Not sure if this is because I had set it up before I arrived.
Old Aug 25th 2010, 6:03 pm
Forum Regular

Mariah_Saudi is just really niceMariah_Saudi is just really niceMariah_Saudi is just really niceMariah_Saudi is just really niceMariah_Saudi is just really niceMariah_Saudi is just really niceMariah_Saudi is just really niceMariah_Saudi is just really nice

Originally Posted by Little Toot
I have had my kindle since March. It was bought in the UK, but shipped from the US.
I downloaded my first book yesterday in the UAE from the UK Amazon Website which I had set up before I arrived. No probs. Not sure if this is because I had set it up before I arrived.
so when you accessed the kindle store it didn't tell you that the title is not available in your location?
Old Aug 25th 2010, 6:34 pm
Forum Regular

MS

I simply accessed the UK Amazon site and it was the usual "one click" option to buy. I have only purchased one book whilst here though. Its the Kindle 2 and it uses what is termed "whispernet" whatever that is. Also my account is set up in the UK.
Not sure that is much help! Good luck though and I would seriously recommend it. I didn't think I would like the idea of not having a book in my hands while reading, but it's surprising how quickly it feels natural.
Old Aug 25th 2010, 9:14 pm
Forum Regular

Lucky you.
Mine always says something about wrong location, as if I didn't know myself
Old Aug 26th 2010, 12:34 pm
Account Closed

Tillybean is an unknown quantity at this point

Two friends have kindles, bought in the US but used exclusively in the UAE.

My issues when I investigated were:

dont operate well under extreme temperatures - hot or cold
dont cope with being dropped and i am a clumsy sod
not every author will allow rights for ebooks, such as JK Rowling refused
ebooks usually come out later than a paperback book
amazon.us wont deliever to here, so have to send it to a uk address or find alternative ways to ship
kindle dx was very expensive

Neither of my friends have issues with downloading or receiving books and really do like theirs. I am very tempted but am torn between a kindle dx or an ipad - i know, completely different, but heck, you can only have so many gadgets right? wrong??
Old Aug 26th 2010, 1:47 pm
Forum Regular

TB
If you want the kindle or ipad mostly for reading, Kindle is the way to go. The screen is very page like, so no eye strain. Ipad looks great, but I don't view it as best for reading. For other stuff - yeah.