British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Khobar to Bahrain to Khobar (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/khobar-bahrain-khobar-878678/)

Plantaholic Jun 10th 2016 11:25 am

Khobar to Bahrain to Khobar

My husband has worked in Dhahran for 18 months and we live in the company's Main Camp. He has "family Status" and recieves for his daughter and "Educational Allowance Program, EAP" that pays for her school in the UK. Due to a new job offer, he has been offered very attractive financial carrots to move out of the main camp. We would very much love to move to Bahrain!! YAY
I know that some of this subject has been covered before but it is now 2016
and I have a few specific questions:

1/Is the VIP causeway pass available now...or not?
2/Will the extra new causeway plan affect the commute? Do you think?
3/Does anyone know whether not maintaining a Saudi Visa (At the moment I am supposed to spent 50%+ of my life in KSA) affects the Family Status or EAP?
4/If it works out...any more suggestions for places/areas to live? I love to swim in the sea and I'd like my own garden...but a short-ish commute to Saudi is very important!
5/ If we are stuck in Saudi, which compound would you recommend?

sicklyman Jun 10th 2016 1:09 pm

Re: Khobar to Bahrain to Khobar

Have you checked first of all that he will not lose his family status if he moves to Bahrain? Out of the camp is one thing. Out of the country is entirely another thing and Aramco does not look favourably on it. I don't know of any Aramco employees who have made the move to Bahrain and have retained family status. All of them have lost it. Perhaps your hubby is in a different position though.

In answer to your other questions
1. The VIP pass may as well not exist as far as you're concerned. You need serious wasta both in Saudi and Bahrain to get it.
2. The new causeway plan will not result in improved causeway conditions until at least the planned opening in 2018. I say "at least" because it could very well be delayed. Best not to hold out too much hope of it affecting anything until it actually opens.
3. Yes. If you as wife do not stay in Saudi for 50% of the year, you will lose family status. If you live in Bahrain, this will be very difficult to maintain.
4. Swimming in the sea is possible in many places. But if you like a clean beach, in reality, only the semi-public hotel beaches are well-maintained and these can be expensive to access regularly. There is a small public beach in Budaiya which isn't bad but you'd need to be well-covered to swim there. There's also the Hamala Beach Resort compound which has a small beach and is a housing possibility. It's about 10-15 mins from the Causeway toll booth. Areas for access to the causeway are Saar, Janabiya and Hamala.
5. I think this is probably the likely scenario in order to maintain family status. Here though, my knowledge runs out so maybe others can recommend some Khobar compounds.

Plantaholic Jun 11th 2016 7:36 am

Sicklyman, thank you for your really comprehensive reply!
So, without a VIP pass, its the 45 min commute still in 2016?
I think that hope lies in the fact that so many Dhahran Hospital staff are being encouraged to find alternative accommodation all at once...the company may have to be flexible with the rules a bit as Khobar just wont have room for us all....
Otherwise, anybody else with some good Khobar suggestions?

sicklyman Jun 13th 2016 6:02 pm

If you are working the 7-4 shift at Dhahran then you can hit the bridge around 5:45 in the morning for a 45 minute commute. Coming back, you're looking at being home between 5:30-6 most nights. But that's to Janabiya/Saar area right by the bridge. If you settle in Adliya/Juffair add 20-30 mins to that and even more for Amwaj.