Khobar

Old Mar 7th 2011, 5:01 am
BE Enthusiast

spartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Khobar

Anyone on the ground in Khobar? I'm down to go on Monday and it's quite important that I am there. Was there last week and all seemed fine except a few more road blocks on the Corniche. I know the day of rage is planned this weekend and the East Coast is where it will go off if it does, just looking for some local knowlege if anyone has any. Dont fancy a Orange jump suit or a being chained to a radiator and making Al Jazerra.

Cheers
Old Mar 7th 2011, 3:39 pm
Arrrrrrgh!

Dubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud of
Default Re: Khobar

I stayed in Khobar on Tuesday night and then drove back accross the causway on Wednesday evening around 7:00 pm - quietest I have ever seen it which was great - there were a few flag wavers out around Pearl roundabout in Manama - but I saw no problems anywhere .
Old Mar 7th 2011, 4:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

coffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond repute

I have just relocated into Khobar. Every thing is quite, there was some ladies having a meeting!!! yesterday but PC Plod sharpely sorted that out.
Old Mar 7th 2011, 8:13 pm
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

i am there every day and to be honest i will be hugely surprised if it kicks off in khobar. any problems are more likely to be in Hofuf or Al Hassa...
Old Mar 8th 2011, 4:10 am
BE Enthusiast

spartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of light

Cheers

Seemed Ok except a few road blocks on the front last week. Lets see what the weekend brings.

Mike
Old Mar 8th 2011, 11:06 am
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spartans53
Cheers

Seemed Ok except a few road blocks on the front last week. Lets see what the weekend brings.

Mike
The road blocks on the corniche road are not related to anything special going on. They are there every evening..
Old Mar 8th 2011, 11:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Cheers.

Lets hope the weekend is nice and calm
Old Mar 8th 2011, 11:40 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by norsk
The road blocks on the corniche road are not related to anything special going on. They are there every evening..
It's one of the things that really pissed me off when I lived in Saudi...bloody Police state.
Old Mar 8th 2011, 12:57 pm
Token Scandinavian Bloke

Originally Posted by lionheart
It's one of the things that really pissed me off when I lived in Saudi...bloody Police state.
the fact that saudi is a police state is the least of its problems in my opinion..

since you got me started here are the problems with saudi as per my opinion in order of priority:

1. if you are non-muslim you are discriminated against
2. if you are without your family you are discriminated against
3. there is no beer available (officially at least)
4. they close the shops during prayer (this is just stupid)
5. the driving is ridiculously awful
6. the religious police (muttawa)
7. it is nearly impossible to find a nice place to live for a decent price (if you have to live in the country)
8. it discriminates against women (sorry for putting this so low on my list, but since I am a man and I live in Bahrain it doesn't really affect me)
9. you need permission to leave the country from your sponsor (this is modern slavery in my opinion)
10. i have never met so many lazy people in my life
11. the motto of most saudis (and arab expats working in saudi) is "change is bad and must be avoided at all costs!"
12. it is a police state

what have i forgotten? surely there are more...
Old Mar 8th 2011, 1:27 pm
Forum Regular

Southlondoner is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello Norsk, that is really illuminating.
I am currently thinking hard to decide between 2 job offers. One is in Riyadh for a major European investment bank. The other is in London for a minor French bank.

The offer in Riyadh is SAR 34k per month all inclusive. The London offer of GBP 80k p/a is slightly less in take home terms after taxes.

I have till March 14 to decide. Your comments have really made me think.

I am a single male and non Muslim and like a glass of wine. Maybe the game is not worth the candle.
Old Mar 8th 2011, 1:34 pm
Token Scandinavian Bloke

Originally Posted by Southlondoner
Hello Norsk, that is really illuminating.
I am currently thinking hard to decide between 2 job offers. One is in Riyadh for a major European investment bank. The other is in London for a minor French bank.

The offer in Riyadh is SAR 34k per month all inclusive. The London offer of GBP 80k p/a is slightly less in take home terms after taxes.

I have till March 14 to decide. Your comments have really made me think.

I am a single male and non Muslim and like a glass of wine. Maybe the game is not worth the candle.
Please don't base your decision exclusively on my slightly tongue-in-cheek list. Saudi can be many things, and some of them are even positive.
Old Mar 8th 2011, 2:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

the fact that saudi is a police state is the least of its problems in my opinion..
the weather. although it is nicr in Riyadh as less humid than coastal
Old Mar 8th 2011, 3:37 pm
Forum Regular

UK PM 81 is an unknown quantity at this point

since you got me started here are the problems with saudi as per my opinion in order of priority:

1. if you are non-muslim you are discriminated against Agreed
2. if you are without your family you are discriminated against Agreed
3. there is no beer available (officially at least) I thought you would have said that is also discrimination
4. they close the shops during prayer (this is just stupid) In the most strict muslim country - what else can you expect.
5. the driving is ridiculously awful Agreed - although I have heard that the worst place is Egypt
6. the religious police (muttawa) Have they not all but fizzled out?
7. it is nearly impossible to find a nice place to live for a decent price (if you have to live in the country) That goes for all the ME region
8. it discriminates against women (sorry for putting this so low on my list, but since I am a man and I live in Bahrain it doesn't really affect me) Agreed - Although I think they have the right idea of not allowing woman to drive!!
9. you need permission to leave the country from your sponsor (this is modern slavery in my opinion) Draconian - Second only to North Korea I would guess
10. i have never met so many lazy people in my life That is consistent across the ME
11. the motto of most saudis (and arab expats working in saudi) is "change is bad and must be avoided at all costs!" ....And get the expat to do it and if it goes wrong blame him!!
12. it is a police state Agreed - second only to North Korea

My two cents worth.