Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

khasab border question

khasab border question

Old Jan 3rd 2012, 1:27 am
BE Forum Addict

benzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond repute
Default khasab border question

I have some friends planning to do the Stairway to heaven hike soon, climb up one day and return the next.

I've offered to help transport camping equipment up to the top via the road on the Omani side which means going through the Khasab border crossing. The intention is for me to drive one of their 4x4s for the trip.

What I'm trying to find out is can you actually drive someone elses car across the border without them being in it?

Do I need any additional documents etc?

Thanks for any help.
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 4:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: khasab border question

Originally Posted by benzonar
I have some friends planning to do the Stairway to heaven hike soon, climb up one day and return the next.

I've offered to help transport camping equipment up to the top via the road on the Omani side which means going through the Khasab border crossing. The intention is for me to drive one of their 4x4s for the trip.

What I'm trying to find out is can you actually drive someone elses car across the border without them being in it?

Thanks for any help.
I have just done this border (in my own car)

I had to show insurance, my driving licence, car reg card. Fees are 35Dh per person to leave the UAE and something like 45Dh per person to go into Oman.

As for can you drive someone else's car - no idea, they didn't pay much attention to any of the documents I gave them though so at a guess, I think you will be OK.

Why not just swap drivers at the border?
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 4:25 am
BE Forum Addict

benzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond repute

The owner of the car is hiking from RAK so will not be crossing the border with me, there lies the issue
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 5:53 am
BE Forum Addict

csdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for any help.
Are you joining one of the ADAC trips over the next two weekends?
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 6:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Don't think so as not really sure what ADAC is
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 6:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
I have just done this border (in my own car)

I had to show insurance, my driving licence, car reg card. Fees are 35Dh per person to leave the UAE and something like 45Dh per person to go into Oman.

As for can you drive someone else's car - no idea, they didn't pay much attention to any of the documents I gave them though so at a guess, I think you will be OK.

Why not just swap drivers at the border?
they have changed the prices for omani visa now its 200dhs if you dont go with your sponsor 50dhs if you do, for uk passports etc
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 6:28 am
BE Forum Addict

csdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond repute

The slightly tongue-in-cheek Abu Dhabi Alpine Club
http://adalpine.wordpress.com/
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 6:50 am
Forum Regular

lehoff is a jewel in the roughlehoff is a jewel in the roughlehoff is a jewel in the roughlehoff is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for any help.
I think you will be fine, I did the same border crossing in Sept with my father in law driving my wifes car (mine as far as the papers are concerned), he is a norwegian resident on an international driving license whilst i was in my own car and as EM says they didnt really give a damn about who was who, just that there were a bunch of papers for them to stamp with the correct dates and vehicle reg on etc.
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 8:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by busybee2
they have changed the prices for omani visa now its 200dhs if you dont go with your sponsor 50dhs if you do, for uk passports etc
What exact date did that happen?
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 9:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by busybee2
I did two Omani border points in the last week (Khassab & Fujeriah-ish) - both times I paid no more than 145Dh for 3 of us (I guess that is 5.0 OMR each). We all have residence visas.

I think the 200Dh is for tourists.
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 9:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Bluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really nice

Indeed it is.
GCC residents - 5 OMR
Tourists - 20 OMR.
certainly deters you from taking visitors over the border!
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 5:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
I did two Omani border points in the last week (Khassab & Fujeriah-ish) - both times I paid no more than 145Dh for 3 of us (I guess that is 5.0 OMR each). We all have residence visas.

I think the 200Dh is for tourists.
no its not, its if you are not going with your sponsor, for eg my ds went on a school trip to khasab in november, and they were all charged 200dhs because they were not going with their sponsor, even though it was a school trip, and even though they all hold residency visas, and even though they are all children, they were all charged 200dhs.
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 5:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

What exact date did that happen?
a few months ago, not sure exactly but my boy went over the border with school trip in november and was charged 200dhs each.
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 5:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Bluelionesse
Indeed it is.
GCC residents - 5 OMR
Tourists - 20 OMR.
certainly deters you from taking visitors over the border!
no its not, only if you go with your sponsor.
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 5:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

and they got visas here in the uae before they went and so it wasnt done at the border, but they still had a 3 hour wait going up there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.