Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

KAUST - Jeddah. Can anyone advise me?

KAUST - Jeddah. Can anyone advise me?

Old Aug 12th 2009, 9:06 am
Forum Regular

markwill2112 is just really nicemarkwill2112 is just really nicemarkwill2112 is just really nicemarkwill2112 is just really nicemarkwill2112 is just really nicemarkwill2112 is just really nicemarkwill2112 is just really nicemarkwill2112 is just really nice
Default KAUST - Jeddah. Can anyone advise me?

Whilst struggling to find work here in the UK, I applied for a job with King Abdullah University in Jeddah as an Executive Assistant (I have worked in Higher education administration for over 10 years in the UK and US). To my surprise, I was given one brief phone interview and asked to take a test. I was then told they want to make me an offer. They haven't given me the details of the offer yet and I haven't seen it, but they said I will be very pleased and it will include a townhouse overlooking the red sea (which apparently only costs £6,000 a year to rent and I'm currently paying £671.00 a month for a broom cupboard in London!!), great benefits (health, pension etc) and I believe 30 days annual leave (so I suppose I could escape throughout the year to 'civilisation.' The KAUST website makes everything look incredible: http://www.kaust.edu.sa/ and if they do come back soon and make an incredible offer, I expect I will be very tempted. It's not that I don't have other interviews lined up here in the UK, as I do (e.g. I have two tomorrow and two on Friday), but having had a few interviews here recently after stupidly coming back to the UK from the US and failing to get the jobs, I am feeling rather depressed about the possibilities here in the UK, especially as 8 billion people it seems are applying for every available job here at the moment and competition for places is so great - I was obviously the best of a bad bunch in the past when I got jobs!

Anyway, if they do make me an offer, things will have to move pretty fast and I really don't know anything about Saudi Arabia or Jeddah where I would live, or the culture etc apart from mostly the negative things I read and hear on things like 'Have I Got News For You.' I am about to turn 40 years old. I am divorced. I hate living in London and have no ties holding me to the UK.

If they make me a great offer, should I go for it or am I too old to go gallivanting round the world and should just keep struggling on here in the UK instead till I find a new job?
Old Aug 12th 2009, 12:58 pm
Northerner - Obhur

Spurss is on a distinguished road
Default Re: KAUST - Jeddah. Can anyone advise me?

Hi Mark i am Saudi guy i used to live in Jeddah i can tell you it is a good city to live in if they gave you a good offer what i mean by a good offer is ' full offer '. You can save your money in jeddah. There are no night clubs. just sea and malls if you are a smoker you'll love jeddah coffee shops try SHEESHA with Strawberry-flavored or 2 apples . but as you'll work for KAUST so no need to think about Housing there'll be a staff accommodation i guess but if you want to live outside it its better if they gave you more details about your housing coz it is difficult to find 1 by your own. it is a new university, excellent reputation will be an opportunity for you to move forward in your career. If you do not have a problem with the humidity and heat it will be good for you to accept the offer. goodluck
Old Aug 12th 2009, 9:50 pm
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute

KAUST is about an hour's drive from Jeddah.

I toured it recently and the bricks and mortar look awesome. The real question will of course be how it operates...

The Red Sea around there is gorgeous, by the way! Who knew?
Old Aug 13th 2009, 1:54 am
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markwill2112
Whilst struggling to find work here in the UK, I applied for a job with King Abdullah University in Jeddah as an Executive Assistant (I have worked in Higher education administration for over 10 years in the UK and US). To my surprise, I was given one brief phone interview and asked to take a test. I was then told they want to make me an offer. They haven't given me the details of the offer yet and I haven't seen it, but they said I will be very pleased and it will include a townhouse overlooking the red sea (which apparently only costs £6,000 a year to rent and I'm currently paying £671.00 a month for a broom cupboard in London!!), great benefits (health, pension etc) and I believe 30 days annual leave (so I suppose I could escape throughout the year to 'civilisation.' The KAUST website makes everything look incredible: http://www.kaust.edu.sa/ and if they do come back soon and make an incredible offer, I expect I will be very tempted. It's not that I don't have other interviews lined up here in the UK, as I do (e.g. I have two tomorrow and two on Friday), but having had a few interviews here recently after stupidly coming back to the UK from the US and failing to get the jobs, I am feeling rather depressed about the possibilities here in the UK, especially as 8 billion people it seems are applying for every available job here at the moment and competition for places is so great - I was obviously the best of a bad bunch in the past when I got jobs!

Anyway, if they do make me an offer, things will have to move pretty fast and I really don't know anything about Saudi Arabia or Jeddah where I would live, or the culture etc apart from mostly the negative things I read and hear on things like 'Have I Got News For You.' I am about to turn 40 years old. I am divorced. I hate living in London and have no ties holding me to the UK.

If they make me a great offer, should I go for it or am I too old to go gallivanting round the world and should just keep struggling on here in the UK instead till I find a new job?
I have a friend who has worked in Education in Saudi for years - he is currently working in Riyadh at the moment.

The best way to look at is as a springboard to saving some serious money for your retirement or even bringing it forward ten years; my friend has made enough money over the years to own two houses outright and have a nice big pot of cash for the future and will retire about 50 or so.
Old Aug 13th 2009, 11:09 am
Down and out

ctfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond repute

I've been involved with some of the planning for KAUST and it would be a very interesting place to spend a few years.

The plans for KAUST include it being defined as a special area with exemptions from some of the usual restrictions on life in KSA eg. women will be allowed to drive cars, expat women will not be required to wear abaya as within some compounds.

It's backed at the highest level clearly, and with serious funding. The Saudi authorities have also seconded some of their top management team to this eg. some senior Aramco execs.

If you really have no immediate ties to the UK, and from what I've heard, Spurrs is quite right that Jeddah is a nice place in many ways, it's definitely worth a shot.
Old Mar 6th 2010, 3:27 pm
Just Joined

danny2034 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Mark - did you make it out there ? I might be heading there in april to work.
Old Mar 20th 2010, 2:17 pm
Just Joined

NireKat is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by markwill2112

Hi Mark, don't know if you post on the forum anymore but, I've just applied to Kaust, while I don't know if I'll be offered anything, I'm concerned about what life is like for single guys & girls out there (I'm single). No doubt, the financial side is good, but I definitely wouldn't want to be isolated and I've just read another member's post (SuperRed) and he says that life is terrible for him there. He's a single guy also. Seemingly, there's just nothing to do & I guess not any opportunities to be social i.e. mixing as is the norm. I've heard that living in Jeddah is fine. I know some nurses etc. who've lived there and there's lots of social life going on, embassy do's, etc. Plus, if you like the sea, you can scuba dive etc. That's why I'm concerned about living on the university campus, again, am sure accommodation is great, but not having an opportunity to be social, it's just all work & no play. Did you end up going to Kaust, as now it's 2010 and your post was Aug 2009? If so, would love to hear from you. Take care.
Old May 17th 2010, 12:32 am
Just Joined

andromeda20 is an unknown quantity at this point
Arrow Re: KAUST - Jeddah. Can anyone advise me?

Hi I'm a single female who has worked in south east asia for several years and have found this to be socially horrible. In UK, US or New Zealand I have many dating opportunities and considered very attractive can go out with newbie a number of times a week if I choose (which I dont but it's nice to know the opps are there). It seems as though there are concerns about single life at Kaust. From reading the posts. I've been offered a job there and as I'm a bit over Asia but do not want things to be worse for me in the dating opps.
Old May 18th 2010, 12:09 am
Just Joined

NireKat is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, as it turns out I wasn't successful in my application, probably just as well My concern was the isolation, having spent some time in Libya, I know what that feels like. There wasn't a lot of information available to me before I travelled there, through the internet or knowing anyone who had been there. At least there is a little information on KAUST here. Some food for thought anyway . However, if you decide to go, at least you know have the freedom to leave if it doesn't work out. Best of luck & take care.
Old Oct 18th 2010, 9:45 am
Just Joined

macfahad is an unknown quantity at this point

Mark - Did KAUSt work out for you? Please let us know

NireKat - I recently also applied, when you said your application wasn't successful, did you receive a notice from KAUST? I had applied for a position there 4 weeks ago, but haven't heard anything back yet.

I would love to get any updates.

Thanks