Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

KAUST .... Jeddah.. Anyone got any advice?

KAUST .... Jeddah.. Anyone got any advice?

Old Aug 26th 2009, 7:51 am
Just Joined

Super Reds is an unknown quantity at this point
Default KAUST .... Jeddah.. Anyone got any advice?

I have just accepted a position in Kaust and I am nervous about the whole thing.

I currently live in Dubai and I have done for 2 years. With the way things are going in Dubai right now I felt it was appropriate to move to another country and see what happens over the next few years in the UAE as I did enjoy my time here.

So if anyone has any info on Jeddah or Saudi Arabia in general that would be great. I basically want to know if I am going to be living in fear of disrespecting the locals or is it far more relaxed.
Old Aug 26th 2009, 10:52 am
Northerner - Obhur

Spurss is on a distinguished road
Default Re: KAUST .... Jeddah.. Anyone got any advice?

Originally Posted by Super Reds
I have just accepted a position in Kaust and I am nervous about the whole thing.

I currently live in Dubai and I have done for 2 years. With the way things are going in Dubai right now I felt it was appropriate to move to another country and see what happens over the next few years in the UAE as I did enjoy my time here.

So if anyone has any info on Jeddah or Saudi Arabia in general that would be great. I basically want to know if I am going to be living in fear of disrespecting the locals or is it far more relaxed
<<< media media media media media media
it depends on your lifestyle in all saudi counties.

check this 1 : http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ighlight=KAUST Ramadan Kareem Super Reds
Old Aug 26th 2009, 11:03 am
Just Joined

Thats some great information already.

I am really looking forward to the job but, as you are aware, media hype often wrongly affects ones opinions of places. Even when I moved to Dubai I had the same concerns.

Thanks for the advice and info and anymore would be appreciated!

Ramadam Kareem
Old Aug 26th 2009, 2:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

nottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond repute

Moving to Saudi will of course be different from living in Dubai ( from what I've heard about the decadent Emirati's! )

Jeddah is however renowned for being a little more relaxed than the rest of the Kingdom, personally, I really like the place, been living here for a year now, and work in Riyadh during the week, its great coming home to Jeddah at weekends.

If there's anything a bit more specific you want to know about Jeddah, please free to post away.
Old Aug 26th 2009, 2:51 pm
Just Joined

Thats really good to know!

Where are you from originally if you dont mind me asking? I am from Liverpool and then moved to Dubai 2 years ago.

To be honest as a single guy I am concerned that I wont get a chance to meet the opposite gender. I realise that dating and *** is not taboo but even just meeting and drinking coffee would be nice! So any ideas!

Also I have concerns about losing touch with cinema as I am a big movie goer!!!!
Old Aug 26th 2009, 7:23 pm
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute

KAUST has a cinema, not a multiplex obviously...
Old Aug 26th 2009, 7:26 pm
Just Joined

No WAY!!!!!! Now thats some really good news
Old Aug 26th 2009, 7:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

nottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond repute

Thats really good to know!

Where are you from originally if you dont mind me asking? I am from Liverpool and then moved to Dubai 2 years ago.

To be honest as a single guy I am concerned that I wont get a chance to meet the opposite gender. I realise that dating and *** is not taboo but even just meeting and drinking coffee would be nice! So any ideas!

Also I have concerns about losing touch with cinema as I am a big movie goer!!!!
Originally from Bradford but lived in Nottingham since 1991 ( hence the user name - follower of the Mighty Bantams ) .

Ok - meeting the fairer sex? You will probably have a better chance of doing this through work and whichever compound you get to work on. I don't know what KAUST is - university ? hospital?

If its a hospital, you will find a lot of expat nurses working there, a lot of them seem to be from South Africa. In education generally, you will find a greater number of women than in other businesses, so the chances are increased straightaway. However, as I'm sure you will appreciate, mixing and mingling with the opposite sex in public is forbidden - and that even means things like going for coffee.

If you are on a compound, then of course the way of life will be a little more western, the compound we are on often has social events which attracts lots of people from other compounds, so it can be a good chance to meet new folk.

Cinema? Apparently there is an 'underground' cinema downtown, but you will struggle to find public showings of major Hollywood releases, to expect to limit yourself to watching movies on dvd. You can get a decent selection of movies on dvd - make sure you buy 'dvd quality' and NOT cinema quality! The latter literally is someone sat in a picture house filming the screen.

Any idea which compound you're headed for?
Old Aug 26th 2009, 7:49 pm
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute

KAUST is a university city, basically - the school, masses of housing, and the other facilities. It effectively is a compound much like Aramco - there's a cinema, women will be allowed to drive, abayas optional. Still no alcohol of course.

I'd speculate it would be one of the easier places in the Kingdom to meet females...
Old Aug 26th 2009, 10:05 pm
Just Joined

The general feedback so far has been pretty much related to KAUST being the most western of places in Saudi Arabia.

I was aware of the ladies driving and not having to wear the abayas and I am also guessing that the basic going for a coffee will be not so looked badly at.

So far then I seem to be doing the following.... Work..... Learn to Scuba.... Get my golf handicap down.... Work..... Save..... and hope to take some long weekend trips back to Dubai to see old friends!!!!! Ideally I think I am gonna try and get a mate a job there too and then at least the social times will be better.

All this feedback is great guys... please keep anything more coming.
Old Sep 6th 2009, 10:27 pm
Just Joined

forallu is an unknown quantity at this point

So if anyone has any info on Jeddah or Saudi Arabia in general that would be great. I basically want to know if I am going to be living in fear of disrespecting the locals or is it far more relaxed.
Kaust is actually a new university .it is located 70 km north of Jeddah, in an old small village called Thawal. and if you sated there I think will live in the university compound !
Old Mar 6th 2010, 3:24 pm
Just Joined

danny2034 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just wondering if you made it out there ? I am in a similar scenario. If you did how's it been ?
Old Mar 7th 2010, 5:36 am
Just Joined

Been here for 5 months and the moment I find something different I am leaving!

Lifestyle is terrible! I got here and was told I wouldnt be living on campus which means every day I have an hours journey here and an hours journey back. Also nothing happens here!

This is not a place for bachelors thats all I can say. Extremely unpleasant and I will never return once I have left.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news! I honestly believe this place is bad for your health!
Old Mar 7th 2010, 6:09 am
Just Joined

danny2034 is an unknown quantity at this point

Nightmare ! but i am still coming out there. The situation in the UK is grim.

Do you feel it would be any easier for a family out there? I am 36 and plan to go out there first then potentially bring my wife and kids over.

I don't really want the bachelor lifestyle although I am going to miss having a pint big time !
Old Mar 7th 2010, 6:23 am
Just Joined

For a family its alot easier! If you are living on campus you will enjoy safe and secure surroundings!

The problems come when you need anything.... the build quality is terrible and you need stuff all the time. Most things are not open so you have to travel for over an hour to Jeddah

The driving is awful!!!! They have no discipline! Just be very wary that you are entering into somewhere that is at least 300 years behind modern civilisation!!!!!!!!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.