Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Just wondering.....

Just wondering.....

Old Feb 27th 2010, 6:22 pm
Forum Regular

lunny is a jewel in the roughlunny is a jewel in the roughlunny is a jewel in the roughlunny is a jewel in the rough
Question Just wondering.....

Hiya,

Am looking into leaving the UK. Can't deal with the weather. I have just completed my first year in teaching,wanted to hit Oz, but unfortunatley have financial commitments at home so cannot afford to head for the unreliability of supply work in Melbourne So, I have come up with a cunning, UNoriginal plan to hit Dubai for one school year, pay off my debts at home....then head for Melbourne. I am living with my partner and he will have completed a HDip in Sport Mgmt. (Sorry for the essay) My query is this: are there any teachers/others out in Dubai in a similar/vaguely simmilar position? I have applied for 4 jobs in Dubai-just this week so haven't had any replys yet. Let's say for arguments sake I get a job offer, what possibilities ar there for my partner? I have researched the whole living together issue, and I we are willing to take the risk. I just want to know how he will be fixed, visas etc. We are both Irish, so maybe worst case scenario he could try the Irish Village?

Any advice would be brilliant - be as honest as you like

Last edited by lunny; Feb 27th 2010 at 6:47 pm. Reason: change title
Old Feb 28th 2010, 1:39 am
BE Enthusiast

klaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Just wondering.....

Good news, school are hiring now for next year.

Bad news, most of them do not pay well (they look for people who are already living here and are sponsored by their husbands) and if they offer you accomodation, your BF will not be able to live with you.

Regarding BF, I do not know his field but if he does not have anything special to offer, his job may go to people who accept peanuts as a salary.

Also, it is hard to save the first year due to high set up cost.

All in all, it does not sound like a great plan.

If you come, do not incurr in any DEBT here.

Last edited by klaus3974; Feb 28th 2010 at 3:35 am.
Old Feb 28th 2010, 3:36 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

try GEMS education, but don't tell them you are only planning on doing a year. The provide you with an apartment etc. Just be honest with them about the boyfriend and see what they say. Things can be worked around.
Old Feb 28th 2010, 4:24 am
BE Enthusiast

klaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
try GEMS education, but don't tell them you are only planning on doing a year. The provide you with an apartment etc. Just be honest with them about the boyfriend and see what they say. Things can be worked around.
So... do not be honest about your one year plan, but be honest about the BF.
Hey Blue Cat.... that is DOUBLE STANDARDS in one sentence!
Old Feb 28th 2010, 4:25 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by klaus3974
So... do not be honest about your one year plan, but be honest about the BF.
Hey Blue Cat.... that is DOUBLE STANDARDS in one sentence!
the girl needs the cash
Old Feb 28th 2010, 4:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lunny
Hiya,

Am looking into leaving the UK. Can't deal with the weather. I have just completed my first year in teaching,wanted to hit Oz, but unfortunatley have financial commitments at home so cannot afford to head for the unreliability of supply work in Melbourne So, I have come up with a cunning, UNoriginal plan to hit Dubai for one school year, pay off my debts at home....then head for Melbourne. I am living with my partner and he will have completed a HDip in Sport Mgmt. (Sorry for the essay) My query is this: are there any teachers/others out in Dubai in a similar/vaguely simmilar position? I have applied for 4 jobs in Dubai-just this week so haven't had any replys yet. Let's say for arguments sake I get a job offer, what possibilities ar there for my partner? I have researched the whole living together issue, and I we are willing to take the risk. I just want to know how he will be fixed, visas etc. We are both Irish, so maybe worst case scenario he could try the Irish Village?

Any advice would be brilliant - be as honest as you like
Why will moving to Dubai mean you pay off your debts back home? Gold doesn't grow on the date trees here...! A lot of people leave Dubai with debts!

Unless you get furnished housing thrown in, and boyo gets a job quickly I cannot see how you will save anything in only a year here. It's an expensive place to live and salaries can be crap.
Old Feb 28th 2010, 4:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

the girl needs the cash
there are lots of girls in Dubai in that position!
Old Feb 28th 2010, 4:37 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse
there are lots of girls in Dubai in that position!
Old Feb 28th 2010, 4:49 am
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

honestly try Al Ain - very different to Dubai. Met some Canadian teachers who are doing similar stop gap job as nothing available at home jobswise. Much cheaper.
Old Feb 28th 2010, 5:19 am
Forum Regular

Poitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nice

Yes Gems will be hiring - lots of staff not renewing contracts. - But be warned if you break your contract they won't be kind.......... so in the end you might not save a penny.

Anyway best of luck with the plan
Old Feb 28th 2010, 9:51 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yep. You sound like you would make a wonderful teacher.

How much debt are you referring to? 5K GBP? You could conceivably save that much in Dubai if you are very tight with your expenditures. Best to leave the boyfriend home for the year, hunker down in your teacher's flat and save. The year will go by before you know it.
Old Feb 28th 2010, 11:28 am
Forum Regular

lunny is a jewel in the roughlunny is a jewel in the roughlunny is a jewel in the roughlunny is a jewel in the rough
Post Re: Just wondering.....

Thanks for the replys folks.
Klaus - I wouldn't consider taking a job unless there is accommodation incl. which all the jobs I've applied for do,so with regard to setup costs what else would there be?
Blue cat - I've checked the GEMS site and they aren't hiring,as yet. I will keep an eye on their site.
Emirates Millhouse (cool name btw) Maybe it's kinda a naive plan, but I figured with free accom and no income tax, neither of us drinkers, nor into designer labels that it may be possible to save around €8 k, acually not even save just hike up my repayments on student loans etc.
Will look into Al Ain Saudiflares.
Poitin - how 'unkind' do you mean?
Ethos83-can't figure out if your post about me being a 'wonderful teacher' is sarcastic or not!! Without sounding bigheaded(if that's possible) I'm an 'outstanding' NQT,lol. Seriously tho student loans etc. in the region of €8k, even if I could get rid of a chunk of it I'd be a happy camper. BF's cousin is working in an Irish Bar there so that's a possible lead for him? Plus, I've been paying back student loans the whole way through college, while working very hard, I am well used to having very little discresionary income
How ironic that I teach Economics & Accountancy and can't manage my own finances!! he he he
Old Feb 28th 2010, 12:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Klaus - I wouldn't consider taking a job unless there is accommodation incl. which all the jobs I've applied for do,so with regard to setup costs what else would there be?
Blue cat - I've checked the GEMS site and they aren't hiring,as yet. I will keep an eye on their site.
Emirates Millhouse (cool name btw) Maybe it's kinda a naive plan, but I figured with free accom and no income tax, neither of us drinkers, nor into designer labels that it may be possible to save around €8 k, acually not even save just hike up my repayments on student loans etc.
Ethos83-can't figure out if your post about me being a 'wonderful teacher' is sarcastic or not!! Without sounding bigheaded(if that's possible) I'm an 'outstanding' NQT,lol. Seriously tho student loans etc. in the region of €8k, even if I could get rid of a chunk of it I'd be a happy camper. BF's cousin is working in an Irish Bar there so that's a possible lead for him? Plus, I've been paying back student loans the whole way through college, while working very hard, I am well used to having very little discresionary income
How ironic that I teach Economics & Accountancy and can't manage my own finances!! he he he
Actually, if neither of you are drinkers, and the accomodation is furnished, and some wheels are thrown in (or you use taxis) and you live a frugal life anyway you will save money for sure. But life here is expensive you literally have to pay for EVERYTHING!
Old Feb 28th 2010, 1:19 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Why wait until a job is advertised? Be proactive and contact the schools where you'd like to work and get in first.

-
Old Feb 28th 2010, 3:06 pm
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
Why wait until a job is advertised? Be proactive and contact the schools where you'd like to work and get in first.

-
If you want to go into teaching in Dubai, there is a wide variety of choices ranging from the poorly organised and paid, to more established, well paid jobs.

GEMS have a number of schools, but pay and conditions aren't as good as the more established schools.

Most have a 2 year initial contract, followed by 1 year mutualy renewable.

Breaking contract in the teaching fraternity is seen as quite serious, and can lead to future problems on the international teaching circuit, particularly the middle east.

I would get an 'overseas package' job first, with all the bells and whistles, then bring your b/f out.

With his sports management background he should find something (even Irish Village as an infil). There are lots of sports related organisations (E-Sports, Active Sports) regularly looking for coaches of many sports.

Most major schools have already done their big recruitment drives and are currently 'finishing off' and in filling the gaps for next year.

Are you secondary or primary trained? do you know which schools to apply to?

If `you need any detailed info, send me a PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.