British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Just so I can be prepared, Haha. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/just-so-i-can-prepared-haha-512305/)

steelertom Feb 6th 2008 4:45 pm

Just so I can be prepared, Haha.

Ok guys im sure you will all laugh at this.

after my post 2 days ago iv been buzzing about living in dubai and every step we take is a step closer to the place and me and the missus cant stop talking about it.

The trip is booked (I Think as i left it to her today and im still at work at the min) so unless we hate dubai (which i cant see happening to be fair)

However when we were talking about the move last night, it hit me!

see im a massive ice hockey fan and i play as a hobbie and im pretty much guessing there is no ice rink in Dubai.

Can we confirm this just so I can prepare my self? Haha

Also on a more serious note, can I ask, how long did it take some of you guys to get to Dubai, from when you 1st thought about it to when you got there i know there are a million different senerios but I would be interested to hear some storys.

Thanks

Tom

shakh your bootie Feb 6th 2008 4:48 pm

Re: Just so I can be prepared, Haha.

Originally Posted by steelertom (Post 5894957)

after my post 2 days ago iv been buzzing about living in dubai and every step we take is a step closer to the place and me and the missus cant stop talking about it.

The trip is booked (I Think as i left it to her today and im still at work at the min) so unless we hate dubai (which i cant see happening to be fair)

see im a massive ice hockey fan and i play as a hobbie and im pretty much guessing there is no ice rink in Dubai.

Also on a more serious note, can I ask, how long did it take some of you guys to get to Dubai, from when you 1st thought about it to when you got there i know there are a million different senerios but I would be interested to hear some storys.

Thanks

Tom

We have ice hockey in Abu Dhabi - I'd be surprised if Dubai doesn't have a rink too although I can't think for the life of me where????

MataHari Feb 6th 2008 4:50 pm

there are ice rinks here...the one in Al Nasr has icehockey teams playing there..

for us it took about 3 months from offer to moving over, we visited twice, once with mr MH and the second time we took the kids as well...

Inselaffen Feb 6th 2008 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie (Post 5894961)
We have ice hockey in Abu Dhabi - I'd be surprised if Dubai doesn't have a rink too although I can't think for the life of me where????

isnt there one at the Hyatt Regency in Deira?

Madam Medusa Feb 6th 2008 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie (Post 5894961)

there's one in the Hyatt Regency...

As for how long it took to move over...it took us about 3 months from being offered the job to arriving here...

MM, xx

angelynv Feb 6th 2008 4:51 pm

Thanks

Tom

i know exactly how u feel! about non-stop talking about it - thats my husbands and my second favourite past time (cant divulge the first - kids may be reading!! ha ha!)

went to singapore as stoppover on honeymoon, talked about moving out there ( August 2007) started researching, contacted my recruiters and they did next to nothing,a month or so passed, more research emailed a few places, found current recruiter, emailed, chatted, waited - no jobs singapore, offered opportunity middle east, went for it - month or so passed, couple rejections, offered interview in Nov, 2 weeks later had second interview, waited and waited for formal offer(things move at a different pace in Dubai i have noticed!) offer came in mid Jan, accepted handed in notice, going out to visit Feb, moving 1st April and starting new job 6th april. Husband does not yet have job though.. so to cut a long boring story short - didnt take quite as long as i expected - 9 months from thought to reality..

Madam Medusa Feb 6th 2008 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by Inselaffen (Post 5894975)
isnt there one at the Hyatt Regency in Deira?

yes, lol...

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 5894976)
there's one in the Hyatt Regency...

As for how long it took to move over...it took us about 3 months from being offered the job to arriving here...

MM, xx

Inselaffen Feb 6th 2008 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by MataHari (Post 5894970)
there are ice rinks here...the one in Al Nasr has icehockey teams playing there..

for us it took about 3 months from offer to moving over, we visited twice, once with mr MH and the second time we took the kids as well...

oh yeh had forgotten that one. my field hockey club played an indoor hockey tournament there. they put a carpet over the ice. felt very strange to walk on.

MataHari Feb 6th 2008 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by Inselaffen (Post 5894986)
oh yeh had forgotten that one. my field hockey club played an indoor hockey tournament there. they put a carpet over the ice. felt very strange to walk on.

yes, last time I was there, there was a concert going on in there...lol

Miss Eck Feb 6th 2008 5:38 pm

Thanks

Tom

It toook us one month from when my hubby received an offer ... enough time for him to work his notice in the UK!!! It was probably about 8-12 weeks from when we first thought about moving to Dubai. I firmly believe in fate and our move here was certainly about being in the right place at the right time when things happened.

Welcome to BE :)

Autonomy Feb 6th 2008 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by Miss Eck (Post 5895206)
It toook us one month from when my hubby received an offer ... enough time for him to work his notice in the UK!!! It was probably about 8-12 weeks from when we first thought about moving to Dubai. I firmly believe in fate and our move here was certainly about being in the right place at the right time when things happened.

Welcome to BE :)

Probably about 1.5 years in total - to decide to move, sell house contents and close businesses then move here with only 2 suitcases, check into a hotel apartment and proceed to look for work...:)

seven seas Feb 7th 2008 8:42 am

Steelertom- whatever you enjoy, anywhere in the world, I can guarantee you can continue to enjoy it in Dubai.

If not, you can set up your own business and make a mint.

Win/win.

steelertom Feb 7th 2008 12:36 pm

some great advice

so glad there are ice rinks, I will be sure to check them out when we come out to visit.

Thanks guys.

Tom

Inselaffen Feb 7th 2008 12:42 pm

http://www.dubaimightycamels.com/