Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Just Moved to Dubai

Just Moved to Dubai

Old Apr 1st 2010, 12:00 pm
Just Joined

chennylee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Just Moved to Dubai

Regarding your dog, I would definitely bring him out here. Loads of people have dogs and it is easy to look after them. When it gets really hot you just walk them early in the morning and after it gets dark in the evening.

Another website which may help you is expatwoman dot comb
Old Apr 1st 2010, 2:13 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chennylee
Regarding your dog, I would definitely bring him out here. Loads of people have dogs and it is easy to look after them. When it gets really hot you just walk them early in the morning and after it gets dark in the evening.

Old Apr 1st 2010, 2:40 pm
Just Joined

quickbird3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by chennylee

Thanks for letting me know about the dog. It would break my wifes heart if we had to leave him behind. Right - now to find a bar where I can get something better than the non-alcohlic beer I have been drinking for the past few days. Found an international hotel with an American bar and also an English one. Jugding from last night I don't think I'll find either an American or an Englishman in either of those bars. But I guess it's better than sitting in all night dwiddling my thumbs and it is the start of the weekend.
Old Apr 1st 2010, 3:07 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quickbird3
Thanks for letting me know about the dog. It would break my wifes heart if we had to leave him behind. Right - now to find a bar where I can get something better than the non-alcohlic beer I have been drinking for the past few days. Found an international hotel with an American bar and also an English one. Jugding from last night I don't think I'll find either an American or an Englishman in either of those bars. But I guess it's better than sitting in all night dwiddling my thumbs and it is the start of the weekend.
where are you living, I am pretty sure we can point you to some half decent bars.
Old Apr 1st 2010, 4:04 pm
Just Joined

quickbird3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
where are you living, I am pretty sure we can point you to some half decent bars.
At the moment, I am in a hotel in Hor Al Anz East nr. Abu Hail Shopping Mall and The Dubai Police HQ and will be here until end of April and then will move to a villa in Mirdif. The bars in Ramada Continental are OK I guess but the entertainment doesn't start till after 10pm so I am going to head back out again a little later.
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 3:34 am
Just Joined

kaz lou abu dhabi is an unknown quantity at this point

Regarding your passport, my husbands company also insist on keeping his - no passport, no job, like it or lump it. It's east to get it back whenever we need it though, just as long as be cuts off his arm and leaves that instead! We have friends in mirdif and they love it.
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 7:30 am
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse
Hey - welcome to Dubai. My HR guy told me the cycle is generally:

- 0-3 mths : frustrating but you are giving it a go and you like it
- 3-6 mths : starting to like it
- 6-9 mths : starts to piss you off
- 9-12 mths : you hate it
12-24 mths : starts to feel normal and you don't want to go home

for me that cycle was pretty much spot on. I've been here about 30mths now and don't fancy going back now. Quite like the place, millions of faults but so has the UK. it's different. Do remember you can be hoofed out at anytime though.

As for the dogs... You are right there are not may dogs here - locals and many of the asian expats hate them. I also think it's too hot for dogs here although others will disagree.
Exactly mate.

I'ts a muslim country, the laws and procedures baffle you but you need to get a small, core group of good mates who you can see and let steam off with. Enjoy the good things of Dubai, places to eat, drink - the beaches etc.

It can be frustrating and hard but in time you'll learn to love it.
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 7:30 am
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kaz lou abu dhabi
Regarding your passport, my husbands company also insist on keeping his - no passport, no job, like it or lump it. It's east to get it back whenever we need it though, just as long as be cuts off his arm and leaves that instead! We have friends in mirdif and they love it.
This is illegal now though.
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 11:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spugsy
its always been illegal, but unfortunately whatever nationality doesnt matter when you are dealing with some "big deep set companies"! you have to give your passport to get your visa, and then you dont get it back....!
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 5:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spugsy
Cutting off your arm is illegal?
Old Apr 3rd 2010, 7:28 am
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

get your passport back.
I concur. They should only have it when they are getting your residence visa.
Old Apr 4th 2010, 10:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Roadking- your post had me cracking up, I needed a good laugh so thank you!

Quickbird, welcome. I also had never been an expat before and you may think everyone is joking here but it is actually pretty much bang on, I couldn't leave here for the first 3 months as I knew I would never come back if I did, ( I can recall being on skype to a friend at home balling my eyes out, telling them I hate it here and I just wanted to come home, I'd never fe;t so lonely in my entire life), in the 3-6 months I did go home for a few days and came back- was then incredibly depressed to be back( but also realised life at home doesn't change much, still felt really lonely though), I'm now in month 7 and am thinking its ok ( said somewhat gingerly, I've made some good friends even though less than I thought I would, still have violent pangs of home sickness but have people I can turn to when i feel low)- I have two weeks holiday coming up and am going home for but at the moment am pretty sure I'll be coming back. However, if I didn't have to be here financially I wouldn't be here. But everyone kept telling me the first 6 months are really hard, and now they tell me the first year is really hard, and other people have told me its taken them 2 years to settle in. Anyway I'm sure you'll love it!

Regarding passport my company took mine, however the first business trip I went on I kept it and they seem to have given up asking for it back!

Kittycat
x
Old Apr 4th 2010, 11:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kittycat1
Roadking- your post had me cracking up, I needed a good laugh so thank you!

Quickbird, welcome. I also had never been an expat before and you may think everyone is joking here but it is actually pretty much bang on, I couldn't leave here for the first 3 months as I knew I would never come back if I did, ( I can recall being on skype to a friend at home balling my eyes out, telling them I hate it here and I just wanted to come home, I'd never fe;t so lonely in my entire life), in the 3-6 months I did go home for a few days and came back- was then incredibly depressed to be back( but also realised life at home doesn't change much, still felt really lonely though), I'm now in month 7 and am thinking its ok ( said somewhat gingerly, I've made some good friends even though less than I thought I would, still have violent pangs of home sickness but have people I can turn to when i feel low)- I have two weeks holiday coming up and am going home for but at the moment am pretty sure I'll be coming back. However, if I didn't have to be here financially I wouldn't be here. But everyone kept telling me the first 6 months are really hard, and now they tell me the first year is really hard, and other people have told me its taken them 2 years to settle in. Anyway I'm sure you'll love it!

Regarding passport my company took mine, however the first business trip I went on I kept it and they seem to have given up asking for it back!

Kittycat
x

Wow, so you haven't hit the 1 year "I hate it stage yet"!
Old Apr 4th 2010, 1:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Millhouse, I still have that yet to come! However I do do a monthly countdown- only 29 months left woohoo! Head down and think of the money is my gameplan and if I can have a bit of fun on the way then great if not, at least I'll be debt free and have money in the bank when I go home.
Old Apr 4th 2010, 1:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, so you haven't hit the 1 year "I hate it stage yet"!
i'm 4 1/2 years here and still haven't hit that stage...it's totally what you make it as far as i'm concerned...

MM, xx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.