Is it just me?

Old Sep 22nd 2004, 11:15 pm
  #91  
Simply Brilliant
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: UK/Dubai
Posts: 1,064
Cherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really nice
Default Re: Is it just me?

Oh heck! I have just seen your last post Face81. :scared: Maybe I'm wrong, maybe things will get much, much worse before there are signs of any improvement.
Cherrypie is offline  
Old Sep 22nd 2004, 11:17 pm
  #92  
The Oracle
 
Face81's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2004
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 7,220
Face81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Is it just me?

Originally Posted by steve stevenson
Nearly 2 million trffic offences? My God I think there is only close on 3 million people in the UAE and when you take minors into consideration that means on average everyone on the road has been caught with an offence, how many others get away with it on a daily basis?

That is very frightening!
THe population was estimated to be close to 4.5 million at the end of last year, but thats still no excuse for 2 million traffic violations. And mind you, these were the ones that the police managed to record......I am sure it was much higher though.

And Cherrypie.....perhaps its time for a second letter........we are growing old waiting for those promises to be fullfilled.......use your connections with the powers that be and save our citys clogged streets! help.........SOS.....SOS....LOL

-Face81
Face81 is offline  
Old Sep 22nd 2004, 11:22 pm
  #93  
Simply Brilliant
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: UK/Dubai
Posts: 1,064
Cherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really nice
Default Re: Is it just me?

Originally Posted by steve stevenson
Nearly 2 million trffic offences? My God I think there is only close on 3 million people in the UAE and when you take minors into consideration that means on average everyone on the road has been caught with an offence, how many others get away with it on a daily basis?

That is very frightening!
The problem is that to be able to survive on the roads in Dubai, the best of drivers ends up driving quite badly and adopting dangerous, local habits...it's the law of the jungle.
Cherrypie is offline  
Old Sep 22nd 2004, 11:24 pm
  #94  
Simply Brilliant
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: UK/Dubai
Posts: 1,064
Cherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really nice
Default Re: Is it just me?

Originally Posted by Face81

And Cherrypie.....perhaps its time for a second letter........we are growing old waiting for those promises to be fullfilled.......use your connections with the powers that be and save our citys clogged streets! help.........SOS.....SOS....LOL

-Face81
I'm back in the UK now, so I'll leave the letters and petitioning in your capable young hands
Cherrypie is offline  
Old Sep 22nd 2004, 11:27 pm
  #95  
The Oracle
 
Face81's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2004
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 7,220
Face81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Is it just me?

Originally Posted by Cherrypie
the best of drivers ends up driving quite badly and adopting dangerous, local habits...it's the law of the jungle.
LOL Cherrypie......we are all cavemen down here!

If you cant beat em......well we all need to get from A to B and if push comes to shove, I would shove, especially if it meant that I could go one up on some arrogant, uneducated freak who thought he owned the road! (and we all know which group of people I am refering to!)

-Face81
Face81 is offline  
Old Sep 22nd 2004, 11:28 pm
  #96  
Simply Brilliant
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: UK/Dubai
Posts: 1,064
Cherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really nice
Default Re: Is it just me?

Originally Posted by steve stevenson
Very well put!

Last year I lost one of my family in a road accident in the UK and she was only 23, I would say that I still haven't got over it and doubt I ever will. Bearing that in mind God only knows how I would feel if I lost a child in the same way?
Really sorry to hear about your relative SS...very sad...must make you even more sensitive and nervous of the traffic situation in Dubai.
Cherrypie is offline  
Old Sep 22nd 2004, 11:30 pm
  #97  
Simply Brilliant
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: UK/Dubai
Posts: 1,064
Cherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really nice
Default Re: Is it just me?

Originally Posted by Face81
LOL Cherrypie......we are all cavemen down here!

If you cant beat em......well we all need to get from A to B and if push comes to shove, I would shove, especially if it meant that I could go one up on some arrogant, uneducated freak who thought he owned the road! (and we all know which group of people I am refering to!)

-Face81
Cherrypie is offline  
Old Sep 22nd 2004, 11:32 pm
  #98  
The Oracle
 
Face81's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2004
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 7,220
Face81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Is it just me?

Originally Posted by Cherrypie
I'm back in the UK now, so I'll leave the letters and petitioning in your capable young hands
Young hands indeed. I will have u know these young hands are 22!

Obviously easier said than done! I have to live here for a while yet. Dont want to mysteriously vanish from Dubai! What was the address on the envelope you sent him anyway?

"His Highness, Sheikh Zayed Bin Sultan Al Nahyan,
The President,
Abu Dhabi,
United Arab Emirates"

That about right?lol

-Face81
Face81 is offline  
Old Sep 23rd 2004, 12:01 am
  #99  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 28
steve stevenson is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Is it just me?

Originally Posted by Cherrypie
Really sorry to hear about your relative SS...very sad...must make you even more sensitive and nervous of the traffic situation in Dubai.
Thanks.

I am fortunate that I do not have to drive a great deal as my hotel is very close to my office and that I will be returning to the UK in a little over a month. I would be even more concerned if my family were here, I would definatley not like them being on the roads here.
steve stevenson is offline  
Old Sep 24th 2004, 6:15 am
  #100  
 
philipz's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Posts: 147
philipz is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Is it just me?

Couldnt find the story on Gulf News steve stevenson, could you post the link.

Thanks for the stats Face81. With all those offenses, the government is really getting PAID.
philipz is offline  
Old Sep 24th 2004, 8:50 am
  #101  
The Oracle
 
Face81's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2004
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 7,220
Face81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Is it just me?

Originally Posted by philipz
Couldnt find the story on Gulf News steve stevenson, could you post the link.

Thanks for the stats Face81. With all those offenses, the government is really getting PAID.
Anytime philipz. Just want everyone to know how chaotic driving here can be. Last year, during the DSF, i spent 3 hours and 10 minutes to home from Junction5. Thats right, over 3 hours to get to the Sheraton in Deira. :scared:

I havent broken that record yet and I dont intend to!

The traffic is way beyond out of hand now. Take a look at this. The approach to Maktoum Bridge from SZR is more like a car park (as Joe.B.Creative described Dubais traffic) than a road!

This is a regular site in Dubai nowadays. Shame no one is bothered!

And Philipz.....I recall reading that Dubai municipality made just over 400 million Dirhams from parking meters alone last year. So they are swimming in dosh! but the brainiacs have decide to invest $4 billion in a train, whose construction will cause havoc all across Dubai. Brace yourselves. The worst is yet to come :scared:

-Face81
Attached Thumbnails Is it just me?-maktoumtraffic.jpg  
Face81 is offline  
Old Sep 25th 2004, 12:38 am
  #102  
The 5th Amendment
 
joseph.creative's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Dubai City
Posts: 3,142
joseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nice
Default Re: Is it just me?

At last.. web connection is working again. Down in Wafi City and the Grano Coffee connection is not great!!!!

think that we should do a photopost section of the different times on SZR for example for this traffic.. got digital camera now so will get right to it..

anyways... the other dumb thing about this whole traffic thing forgetting the "quality" of the city taxi drivers is the fatc that you get on the road then to do from one palce to another you have to do massive u turn's all over the place or stay on the road system and then have to go driving for however long to be able to go back the road the other way... u gotta drive 5 miles to go 2 miles because of the weird way the junctions are designed....

aprt from that I am looking forward to gettin the licence sorted out and getting the vehicle to experience being a driver on these roads.... it just has to be done... at least I found out thta Vovlo have launched the same car I have in the UK so that is cool. Probably end up getting the 30% window tint and the ever so useful fog lights!!! Ok. face i know you will kill me for that one! but cheers for the lift the other day. How long did it take you to get back home?

anyway.. meeting one is done and now the heavy stuff starts tomorrow...
joseph.creative is offline  
Old Sep 25th 2004, 3:06 am
  #103  
The Oracle
 
Face81's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2004
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 7,220
Face81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Is it just me?

Originally Posted by joseph.creative
At last.. web connection is working again. Down in Wafi City and the Grano Coffee connection is not great!!!!

think that we should do a photopost section of the different times on SZR for example for this traffic.. got digital camera now so will get right to it..

anyways... the other dumb thing about this whole traffic thing forgetting the "quality" of the city taxi drivers is the fatc that you get on the road then to do from one palce to another you have to do massive u turn's all over the place or stay on the road system and then have to go driving for however long to be able to go back the road the other way... u gotta drive 5 miles to go 2 miles because of the weird way the junctions are designed....

aprt from that I am looking forward to gettin the licence sorted out and getting the vehicle to experience being a driver on these roads.... it just has to be done... at least I found out thta Vovlo have launched the same car I have in the UK so that is cool. Probably end up getting the 30% window tint and the ever so useful fog lights!!! Ok. face i know you will kill me for that one! but cheers for the lift the other day. How long did it take you to get back home?

anyway.. meeting one is done and now the heavy stuff starts tomorrow...
Our road networks? What road networks? They are terrible.....and well spotted on the whole U turn thing is completely true. Driving miles just to get back on the other side. Very true. hahaha......mind you, its sometimes better to drive miles to a signal where you can take a u turn rather than waiting for eternity at a u-turn that hasnt got a traffic light. Our road network needs to........BE COMPLETELY RE-DEVELOPED and we need more bloody bridges!

Oh and Joe.........it took me about 30 mins to get back home. Fog lights on and all! hahaha......and the 30% tinting combined with the fog lights gave that much more respect on the road and scared a fair # of cars out of my way. hahahaaha.....Ok I better stop.....all that power in my all-black car is going to my head!

No probs for the lift mate......i enjoyed my drive back home....had the radio on a fair few decibels louder than when u were with me and I was singing along to some very kewl choons from the 80's.....No i didnt get pulled over by the coppers either! hahahaha Instead I got them to sing along with me in a massive road party I held on Maktoum Bridge....did u read about it in the papers this morning? hahahaha

Keep in touch Joe.

-Face81
Face81 is offline  
Old Sep 25th 2004, 11:05 pm
  #104  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 28
steve stevenson is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Is it just me?

Originally Posted by philipz
Couldnt find the story on Gulf News steve stevenson, could you post the link.

Thanks for the stats Face81. With all those offenses, the government is really getting PAID.
It was on the front page of the Gulf News, I did scan it to send it on to people in the UK as I thought they would never believe me!

It was from Reuters and stated that a women in Tehran had went to Court to stop her husband beating her on a daily basis. She made a statement saying that she loved him and asking the Court that he only beat her once a week as it was in his nature and he could not stop it. He replied with a statement that if he did not beat her she will not be scared enough to obey him!

The Court found him guilty and demanded that he stop beating his wife; although it does not mention any punishment for the numerous assaults.

How can people live like this? It's the 21st Centuary for God's sake!
steve stevenson is offline  
Old Sep 26th 2004, 4:42 am
  #105  
Forum Regular
 
Elles's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Dubai
Posts: 65
Elles is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Is it just me?

Originally Posted by steve stevenson
a women in Tehran had went to Court to stop her husband beating her on a daily basis. She made a statement saying that she loved him and asking the Court that he only beat her once a week as it was in his nature and he could not stop it. He replied with a statement that if he did not beat her she will not be scared enough to obey him!

How can people live like this? It's the 21st Centuary for God's sake!
I was having a giggle fit when I read this as I couldn't believe it!! Mind you, my hubby did then recite our marriage vows back at me, "love, honor and obey!" but as I remember I didn't agree to the "obey" in the church which also got a laugh on our wedding day!!!

But you are right......it does make you wonder how people live that way, but don't forget alot of places have been kept out of the modern world by their leaders.....
Elles is offline  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.