Is it just me?

Old Sep 22nd 2004, 12:38 am
The 5th Amendment

joseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nice
Default Re: Is it just me?

yeah went from Trade Towers down to Jebel Ali this AM.

I thught the SZR was a road not a car park!!! lol

ok.. off to starbucks....
Old Sep 22nd 2004, 8:02 am

philipz is on a distinguished road

Well Desert Dweller, to give you my opinion as a Westerner who was born and raised in the Middle East. No I dont have alot of money, no I dont have a better social life, no I dont have a nicer flat and no I dont drive a fancy car, so I guess that earns me the opinion to talk about it. Am I right!!!!

Loved your post by the way, Cherrypie.

I do find it a major problem if me and my sisters have to be afraid of crossing a 2 lane non-main street, which I guess you could compare to the Jumeirah Beach Road.
Old Sep 22nd 2004, 5:07 pm
TA5
Banned (Always Correct)

TA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Face81
Any more bright ideas? Lets hear em!

Live in Jumeirah and work at the Sharjah airport, works for me. I laugh at all the traffic coming the other way on both my drive to work and back. I can just set the cruise control pretty much the whole way.
Old Sep 22nd 2004, 6:15 pm

gedge has disabled reputation

We shouldnt have to worry about being killed in a horrific car crash every time we sit in a car just because the people on this nations roads cant drive properly and repect other peoples space!-Face81
I totally agree with you, it's not good. Here's a question for you.
If you believe that Allah's will influences or is responsible for your actions, and have a kind of "it was meant to be" attitude, and this is a majority belief, then why should you change for an outsider?

I'm not asking this to stir things up. Please put me right where I'm wrong.
Old Sep 22nd 2004, 6:15 pm
Just Joined

steve stevenson is an unknown quantity at this point

Very well said Dan! I couldnt have put it better myself. And like Cherrypie said.......we are here investing out time, money and energy and we EXPECT that we be treated with some degree of respect and dignity.

We shouldnt have to worry about being killed in a horrific car crash every time we sit in a car just because the people on this nations roads cant drive properly and repect other peoples space!

What did Sheikh Zayed say Cherrypie? You cant tell us something like and then leave us hanging......are they going to make it harder to get a drivers license or are they going to step up police patrols? do tell us what you got the president to do for us all!!!

We are al very sorry to hear about your loss Steve Stevenson. You can never get over losing someone.

-Face81
Thanks, much appreciated.

The only thing that is annoying is when you hear people going on about the outside lane being reserved for them to do excessive speeds and eat up tiny fines. It these idiots in huge cars that kill others because of their ignorance toward everyone else on the road.

I don't know if it's true maybe someone can clarify? I was told there is no or only one point per speeding offence and the fine is a max' of 200. If true that's ridiculous they should be putting these people straight off the road and you would see a drop in speeding.

I just thank God that I am here on a temporary basis as I couldn't live with my family travelling in that every day.
Old Sep 22nd 2004, 6:26 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by JulesandChris
I totally agree with you, it's not good. Here's a question for you.
If you believe that Allah's will influences or is responsible for your actions, and have a kind of "it was meant to be" attitude, and this is a majority belief, then why should you change for an outsider?

I'm not asking this to stir things up. Please put me right where I'm wrong.
I think what you are getting at is the "ensharla" (hope that's correct)? But by the same token did the man upstairs ever want us to go at 130, 140 or 150 mph?

I also think there is something in the same religion about being good to your neighbour or "brother" (something in the 7 pillars if I'm not mistaken) surely they should contemplate their actions prior to causing possible injury to them? Or is it just plain ignorance? We all have to travel the same roads so a little consideration goes a long way.

The worst thing is the rubber-neckers; that is just sickening! I know everyone has a peek it's in our nature, but I have seen them park on the hard shoulder of Sh Z. Rd. and run accross to get a better look at the accident, bloody ghouls! I know that if it was a friend or others in one of the cars and I seen that I would have to do very well to hold my temper.
Old Sep 22nd 2004, 6:45 pm

gedge has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by steve stevenson
I think what you are getting at is the "ensharla" (hope that's correct)?
Insh'allah / Que cera cera
Yeah, that's what I meant. If that sort of thought is in your head from childhood, it must be hard to change. I beleive there is similar beliefs in India/Pakistan? Not too sure.
I just remember that in Qatar most things were governed by Allah's will.
The phrase "bukrah insh'allah" (maybe tomorrow if god wills it) could be heard so often.
You could argue that we've got it wrong by being so concerned about our actions? Not that I'm going to.
Maybe you're right about 'being good to your neighbour'. Some people learn more from some lessons, some choose an easy route.
Old Sep 22nd 2004, 8:03 pm

Hey TA5. Thats so weird, you working in Sharjah and living in Jumeirah. How long are the daily drives, I guess you take the Emirates Highway, as that would be the quickest.

Well JulesandChris, I think you may have been mistaken as everything is governed by God's (Allah's) will, but most people you meet wouldnt say, "I'll see you tomorrow, if god wills", but who knows you could die a few minutes later. So the 'insha allah' is just a reminder when you say it that things dont always go the way you want it to go. But the 'insha allah' is universal to most Arabs.
Old Sep 22nd 2004, 9:09 pm
TA5
Banned (Always Correct)

TA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by philipz
Hey TA5. Thats so weird, you working in Sharjah and living in Jumeirah. How long are the daily drives, I guess you take the Emirates Highway, as that would be the quickest.

I take emirates road, takes about 35-40 minutes each way, but once all the ring road (sharjah) construction is done it will be 25-30 minutes each way. But that won't be for several months.

I can live with it, driving for 30-40 minutes at 120 kph isn't as bad as 30-40 minutes in bumper to bumper traffic. Its a nice easy drive too, only 1 stoplight the whole way

Last edited by TA5; Sep 22nd 2004 at 9:12 pm.
Old Sep 22nd 2004, 9:14 pm
Remember

Desert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=philipz]Hey TA5. Thats so weird, you working in Sharjah and living in Jumeirah. How long are the daily drives, I guess you take the Emirates Highway, as that would be the quickest.QUOTE]

I used to work with an Indian guy who used to live in Ajman and work in Abu Dhabi. He claimed he saved money because it was so much cheaper in Ajman. If you go on the Dubai-Abu Dhabi run at about 7am you see all the soldiers going to work from Dubai in Abu Dhabi- they get paid more to be in the Abu Dhabi army than the Dubai army!
I was quite happy with my 10 minute drive from my flat next to Lamcy to my office at the 2nd interchange!
Old Sep 22nd 2004, 10:34 pm

I've heard of Ajman to Dubai and Ajman to Abu Dhabi or Sharjah to Abu Dhabi, but never Dubai to Sharjah. Thats what I was getting at.
Old Sep 22nd 2004, 10:48 pm
Just Joined

some choose an easy route.[/QUOTE]

Speaking of easy routes has anyone seen the front page of the Gulf News today (23/9/04)? Check out the story on the bottom left hand corner about the women in Iran who went to court so she could only be beaten once a week! I had to read it a couple of times to believe it!

I wonder what would have happened to her once the husband got her home? Think that's just being stupid?

I still find that hard to believe!
Old Sep 22nd 2004, 10:58 pm
The Oracle

Face81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by steve stevenson
Thanks, much appreciated.

The only thing that is annoying is when you hear people going on about the outside lane being reserved for them to do excessive speeds and eat up tiny fines. It these idiots in huge cars that kill others because of their ignorance toward everyone else on the road.

I don't know if it's true maybe someone can clarify? I was told there is no or only one point per speeding offence and the fine is a max' of 200. If true that's ridiculous they should be putting these people straight off the road and you would see a drop in speeding.

I just thank God that I am here on a temporary basis as I couldn't live with my family travelling in that every day.
Well Steve, Jules and Chris, as far as I can tell, it is nothing more than arrogance. The sort of attitude they have thru theit heads is something like:

"Another expat in my country taking over my job and polluting the minds of my children with their 'Western' ideologies and so what if I break the law, it is my country after all!'

Thats the sort of vibe u get from some of those arrogant 'beep' that try to run you off the road by driving on the hard shoulder at speeds in excess of 180 kmph. Now those are the maniacs!

Here are some statistics off the internet that show Dubai's 10 most dangerous roads in 2004 and 2003.

ACCIDENTS in 2004:
Dubai's most dangerous roads (Accidents/Deaths)
1 Emirates Ring Road 12/12
2 Shaikh Zayed Road 10/10
3 Al Khaleej Road 3/4
4 Bani Yas Road 3/4
5 Hatta Road 3/3
6 Dubai - Al Ain Road 3/3
7 Shaikh Zayed Service Road 3/3
8 Ras Al Khor 3/3
9 Zabeel Road 3/3
10 Life Regency intersection 2/2

And how this compares to last year
1 Dubai - Al Ain Road 21/24
2 Emirates Ring Road 17/17
3 Shaikh Zayed Road 16/16
4 Shaikh Rashid Road 7/8
5 Al Ittihad Road 6/8
6 Al Wasl Road 6/7
7 Al Quoz industrial area 6/6
8 Al Rasheed Road 6/6
9 Hatta Road 5/5
10 Al Nahda Road 4/5

In April, ministry officials acknowledged that the number of basic traffic violations was high and still increasing, with the number of reported offences reaching a staggering 1.91 million nationwide last year.

There is no inshallah or inshallah bukrah about it. The driving in this country has gone to the dogs and the higher ups dont seem to give a damn!

This is an article from todays paper:

Traffic nearing gridlock, demands radical remedy
By Samir Salama and Ashfaq Ahmed
Staff Reporters

Dubai: Drastic measures need to be taken to ease the flow of traffic on Dubai's roads, police admitted yesterday. Merely opening or closing a road is not the answer.

Closing the Al Mamzar Interchange to Dubai-bound traffic from Sharjah will continue until more extreme measures are taken to resolve the traffic problem, said Brigadier Dr Jamal Al Merri, Deputy Dubai Police Chief.

"Among the proposals submitted to the higher traffic committee are increasing fees for car registration in Dubai, building new roads and putting up detours. The traffic problem requires a study of all factors involved to come up with radical solutions," Al Merri said.

The decision to close the Al Mamzar Interchange once again by no later than tonight has been taken because last month's re-opening, which has been a popular move with motorists, has created traffic chaos within Dubai, especially on Cairo Road and Al Khaleej Road leading up to Shindagah tunnel, police said.

Quick facts

* Nearly 1.8 million daily trips are made on Dubai's roads, of which 800,000 are on the highways. Daily trips from Sharjah total 350,000, of which 200,000 are made via Al Ittihad Road.
* By 2010, the total number of trips is expected to hit seven million, of which 1.1 million will be on the highways.
* There are more than 465,000 vehicles registered in Dubai while its population is just over a million.

... And traffic crawls along in Dubai

By Duraid Al Baik
UAE Editor

Dubai: Motorists have experienced unprecedented traffic congestions on most arterial roads, which have been nerve-wracking, over the past two weeks.

The roads have been clogged, and a trail of vehicles was noticed on both directions of traffic, stretching from the northern gate of Dubai near the Al Nahda roundabout on Al Ittihad road to Shaikh Zayed Road's 3rd and 4th interchanges. Thousands of cars crawled along at speeds of less than 10kmph on some sections of the 20km distance. Time taken to travel was as long as 100 minutes.

Travelling on Al Maktoum or Al Garhoud bridges and even through the Al Shindagha Tunnel has become a nightmare. The traffic situation is only worsening day by day, and motorists and commuters say it has become unbearable.

It puzzling that police tried to solve the chaos in the past week by artificially reducing the traffic flow on some intersections through diversions. They did not achieve wonders; the situation remained unchanged. And if the road system has virtually collapsed on ordinary days, what will the situation be during events like the Dubai Shopping Festival?

According to law, roads come under the jurisdiction of the Dubai Municipality, while the movement of cars and pedestrians is regulated by police. This has resulted in a number of disagreements between the departments on how to solve the traffic problem.

Police tried to solve the bottleneck at the Al Qiyada Tunnel, but their efforts went in vain because the municipality disagreed with the experiment carried out by police early this month.

Another example of how the disagreement between them has thwarted a solution is reflected by the oscillating decisions taken on Al Nahda Road. It was opened to traffic coming from Sharjah late last month, but it has been ordered to be closed today. In the 38 days that it was open, it absorbed one-third of the traffic from Al Ittihad Road during peak hours. But the municipality has ruled that the opening of the road did not help in easing traffic. Hence it decided to close the road!

The traffic problem is threatening the emirate's economic prosperity and tarnishing its unique image. And finding a solution may require the Executive Council to look for an affordable solution in its first meeting after the summer break.

To maintain Dubai's extraordinary growth, the authorities should ensure smooth traffic, without putting restrictions on car ownership and creating ample parking spaces.

Now who disagrees with the facts??

-Face81

Last edited by Face81; Sep 22nd 2004 at 11:02 pm.
Old Sep 22nd 2004, 11:10 pm
Just Joined

Nearly 2 million trffic offences? My God I think there is only close on 3 million people in the UAE and when you take minors into consideration that means on average everyone on the road has been caught with an offence, how many others get away with it on a daily basis?

That is very frightening!
Old Sep 22nd 2004, 11:10 pm
Simply Brilliant

Cherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really nice

What did Sheikh Zayed say Cherrypie? You cant tell us something like and then leave us hanging......are they going to make it harder to get a drivers license or are they going to step up police patrols? do tell us what you got the president to do for us all!!!

-Face81
Lol, Face 81! Don't think I got him to actually do anything for us The reply seemed more concerned with his vision for Dubai In fairness, he did say thank you for taking the time to write, explained that Dubai was on the threshold of great and exciting changes and that roads and safety were high on the agenda. Plans were in place/ going to be in place to vastly improve the infrastructure of the roads and speed detectors would become more wide-spread, and they would be campaigning to educate people on safety issues, speeding etc.etc. All the stuff I'd hoped to hear really... though nothing concrete.

Time will tell what actually happens I suppose, but I do sense that things will gradually improve...or at least, I hope they will.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.