Is it just me?

Old Sep 21st 2004, 12:11 am
TA5
Banned (Always Correct)

TA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it just me?

Originally Posted by philipz
Well the guy was flashing me just before the bridge that begins Sharjah and there was no means of me changing my lanes or anything, and as soon as we got off the bridge, the mf started flashing again, when I am packed into a situation with people infront of me and to the side of me. They simply think that once they flash, no matter whats going on with the person in front of them, they gotta move out of the way. Thats what I was trying to say.

Well Im 24 and due to the accidents and blood money changes in the UAE, when I went to renew my car this month, very few insurance companies would insure me. Insurance companies dont check how long you had your license, how many accident you have been in, or anything, they simply said straight off the top, if you are below 25, then we cant. What is going on, as the a few years ago the limit was 21, so possibly the next time I go down it might be 30.
I solved that by making the company buy my car and insuring it themselves as a company vehicle. I am 24 as well.
Old Sep 21st 2004, 12:46 am
The Oracle

Face81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by philipz
Well the guy was flashing me just before the bridge that begins Sharjah and there was no means of me changing my lanes or anything, and as soon as we got off the bridge, the mf started flashing again, when I am packed into a situation with people infront of me and to the side of me. They simply think that once they flash, no matter whats going on with the person in front of them, they gotta move out of the way. Thats what I was trying to say.

Well Im 24 and due to the accidents and blood money changes in the UAE, when I went to renew my car this month, very few insurance companies would insure me. Insurance companies dont check how long you had your license, how many accident you have been in, or anything, they simply said straight off the top, if you are below 25, then we cant. What is going on, as the a few years ago the limit was 21, so possibly the next time I go down it might be 30.
That is completely true philipz. Unfortunately, i was in an accident earlier this year, and when i had to renew my insurance, they almost didnt and I am only 22! Luckily since my Dad has his car insured thru the same people, they obliged at a much higher premium of course!

The law is that 2-door sports cars are never insured for people under 25. NEVER! So thats sort of sad, but true.

I hope they lower it to 20 instead of upping it to 30 as u predict!LOL Maybe then people like TA5, you and myslef could fly down the highway in our Porshes! Kewl!

-Face81
Old Sep 21st 2004, 8:11 am

philipz is on a distinguished road

Well they have the same rule for non-sport cars also. There was an insurance company, Al Buhairah, which wouldnt insure me at all as I was under 25 and if they did insure me, I would have to sign an agreement stating that if anyone under 25 caused an accident, they are not liable.

Yep, one of these days Face81.
Old Sep 21st 2004, 4:51 pm
Remember

Desert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't bothered reading past the second page of this post because it is plainly obvious that you are a bunch of whineing poms. You talk about crime, or the unfairness of this or of that.
How many of you are living in bigger and nicer flats or houses and driving bigger, faster cars than before you arrived? How many of you are earning more money, doing more with your money and enjoying a better social life?
And you talk of racism and unfairness? It is not your country to decide what is right or wrong or whether the leaders should be voted in in a democratic election.
Yes, it's true that there are a lot of things which we may not see as right with our Western eyes and at times it is tough being there- but you arrived via the airport and if you don't like it anymore- it's still in the same place and airplanes fly from there every day. When you find your perfect Utopia, please do tell us all.
Old Sep 21st 2004, 5:06 pm
Banned

DanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to all

Can't say I disagree, but the argument goes that the West (for some odd reason) must be tolerant and just and fair to all (even secular), whereas the other countries (in the east, especially in the Middle East and Africa) have the "right" (for some odd reason) to be fanatically nationalist to the extent of racism, undemocratic ("well, it's not YOUR country, is it?" or so the argument goes), etc. Why don't Westerners have the right to criticise say the UAE when the UAE considers itself qualified to criticise the U.S or UK? *shrug*
Old Sep 21st 2004, 5:40 pm
TA5
Banned (Always Correct)

TA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond repute

my only question to all the whiny expats is

"if its so bad, why are you here"
Old Sep 21st 2004, 5:47 pm
Banned

DanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to all

Originally Posted by TA5
my only question to all the whiny expats is

"if its so bad, why are you here"
But then that could apply to anyone, including Brits in UK. So where are people supposed to go? Just disappear off the face of the earth?

OK, i'm just kidding.
Old Sep 21st 2004, 6:22 pm
TA5
Banned (Always Correct)

Originally Posted by DanMarsden
But then that could apply to anyone, including Brits in UK. So where are people supposed to go? Just disappear off the face of the earth?

OK, i'm just kidding.

no, brits in the uk are not expats
Old Sep 21st 2004, 10:13 pm
Simply Brilliant

Cherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really nice

Originally Posted by Desert Dweller
I haven't bothered reading past the second page of this post because it is plainly obvious that you are a bunch of whineing poms. You talk about crime, or the unfairness of this or of that.
How many of you are living in bigger and nicer flats or houses and driving bigger, faster cars than before you arrived? How many of you are earning more money, doing more with your money and enjoying a better social life?
And you talk of racism and unfairness? It is not your country to decide what is right or wrong or whether the leaders should be voted in in a democratic election.
Yes, it's true that there are a lot of things which we may not see as right with our Western eyes and at times it is tough being there- but you arrived via the airport and if you don't like it anymore- it's still in the same place and airplanes fly from there every day. When you find your perfect Utopia, please do tell us all.
This is one of the silliest opinions I have ever read.

If we choose to live somewhere with our families, invest money and expertise in a region and fuel the economy with our incomes, of course we have the right to comment on those things which we view as unfair and which affect our lives on a daily basis. If people don't discuss (or whinge as you put it), how can there ever be hope of change for the better. I was so disgusted with road safety that I actually wrote a letter to Sheikh Zayed...and he wrote back! I suppose you'd recommend I were deported! Sometimes, you have to cross a road (and with kids) and I for one will complain because it shouldn't be such a stressful and dangerous process.

Change is instigated by people wanting better and if we are resident in a place, we have the right to express a view, no matter where we come from.

As for racism, it is such an unnecessary evil, that how anyone can witness it and not be pissed off, is beyond me.
Old Sep 21st 2004, 10:35 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by TA5
no, brits in the uk are not expats
yes, but the argument (not yours) generally applies both to expats and non-expats alike.
Old Sep 21st 2004, 10:58 pm

Covenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cherrypie

If we choose to live somewhere with our families, invest money and expertise in a region and fuel the economy with our incomes, of course we have the right to comment on those things which we view as unfair and which affect our lives on a daily basis. If people don't discuss (or whinge as you put it), how can there ever be hope of change for the better. I was so disgusted with road safety that I actually wrote a letter to Sheikh Zayed...and he wrote back! I suppose you'd recommend I were deported! Sometimes, you have to cross a road (and with kids) and I for one will complain because it shouldn't be such a stressful and dangerous process.

Change is instigated by people wanting better and if we are resident in a place, we have the right to express a view, no matter where we come from.

As for racism, it is such an unnecessary evil, that how anyone can witness it and not be pissed off, is beyond me.
well said
Old Sep 21st 2004, 11:07 pm
Just Joined

steve stevenson is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Cherrypie

Very well put!

Last year I lost one of my family in a road accident in the UK and she was only 23, I would say that I still haven't got over it and doubt I ever will. Bearing that in mind God only knows how I would feel if I lost a child in the same way?

And as for writting a letter to Sheikh Zayed it is nice to see someone taking the bull by the horns! Actions like that make me proud to be a Brit!
Old Sep 21st 2004, 11:18 pm
The Oracle

Face81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by DanMarsden
Can't say I disagree, but the argument goes that the West (for some odd reason) must be tolerant and just and fair to all (even secular), whereas the other countries (in the east, especially in the Middle East and Africa) have the "right" (for some odd reason) to be fanatically nationalist to the extent of racism, undemocratic ("well, it's not YOUR country, is it?" or so the argument goes), etc. Why don't Westerners have the right to criticise say the UAE when the UAE considers itself qualified to criticise the U.S or UK? *shrug*

Very well said Dan! I couldnt have put it better myself. And like Cherrypie said.......we are here investing out time, money and energy and we EXPECT that we be treated with some degree of respect and dignity.

We shouldnt have to worry about being killed in a horrific car crash every time we sit in a car just because the people on this nations roads cant drive properly and repect other peoples space!

What did Sheikh Zayed say Cherrypie? You cant tell us something like and then leave us hanging......are they going to make it harder to get a drivers license or are they going to step up police patrols? do tell us what you got the president to do for us all!!!

We are al very sorry to hear about your loss Steve Stevenson. You can never get over losing someone.

-Face81
Old Sep 22nd 2004, 12:05 am
The 5th Amendment

joseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nice

[QUOTE=Face81]What did Sheikh Zayed say Cherrypie?
We are al very sorry to hear about your loss Steve Stevenson. You can never get over losing someone.
QUOTE]

I write this sitting in the Cybercafe in the Deira City Centre....

That damn SZR... only been here noteven 24 hours, and have found a good bar already by the way, is a deathtrap... erm has nobody ever heard of pedestrian bridges?

I mean getting a taxi to cross the road...

and come on CP.. what did the Big Man say? I agree that you cannot leave us all hanging....

Roadkills are nasty.. I do a lot og running around the UK and have seen some disgusting accidents... but is always nastier when it is someone you know....
Old Sep 22nd 2004, 12:26 am
The Oracle

[QUOTE=joseph.creative]
Originally Posted by Face81
What did Sheikh Zayed say Cherrypie?
QUOTE]

I write this sitting in the Cybercafe in the Deira City Centre....

That damn SZR... only been here noteven 24 hours, and have found a good bar already by the way, is a deathtrap... erm has nobody ever heard of pedestrian bridges?

I mean getting a taxi to cross the road...

and come on CP.. what did the Big Man say? I agree that you cannot leave us all hanging....

Roadkills are nasty.. I do a lot og running around the UK and have seen some disgusting accidents... but is always nastier when it is someone you know....
Well atleast you are chilling out at CC or as i like to call it, C squared. That SZR is a bloddy death trap......there is no doubt about that. And the traffic is just going from bad to worse.

Just to give to a rough idea Joe........I took about 30 minutes to get from close City Centre to the World Trade Centre this morning. Horendous traffic! Not to worry though.....whenever you decide to head back to SZR, you will be opposing the traffic.

Keep an eye open for all those pour souls who are headed in the opposite direction when you are headed home. Hahahaaha...... Oh and there is one pedestrian under pass on SZR.....Right opposite Emirates Towers.

Does anyone have any concrete suggestions that could ease the traffic?

I thought about it for a while and came up with this:

-Offices and Schools should open in different shifts: some at 7:30, some at 8:00 and some at 8:30....and the same would apply to the times that they close. I think this would disperse the bottle necks.

Any more bright ideas? Lets hear em!

-Face81

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.