Is it just me?

Old Sep 20th 2004, 1:11 am
TA5
Banned (Always Correct)

TA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it just me?

no, i'm not saying i travel that fast, only sometimes, and on EDIT: roads (don't ask me where phones came from) without photo radar.

BTW, the photo radar is a flat 200 dhs for speeding, it is not dependent on how much over 120 you were going (in a 120 zone of course) its just 200 dhs every time it gets you. That's why there are 2 drivers, the under 120 km/h kind, and the balls to the wall warp speed kind.

As many of you noticed, most cars flying in the left lane are "nicer" cars. The photo radar doesn't hit every car that flies by it, so from what i figure, most people driving that fast figure 2-4000 dhs per year in speeding fines isn't all that bad to drive that fast everywhere all the time.

Last edited by TA5; Sep 20th 2004 at 5:30 pm.
Old Sep 20th 2004, 2:54 am
The Oracle

Face81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by TA5
no, i'm not saying i travel that fast, only sometimes, and on phones without photo radar.

BTW, the photo radar is a flat 200 dhs for speeding, it is not dependent on how much over 120 you were going (in a 120 zone of course) its just 200 dhs every time it gets you. That's why there are 2 drivers, the under 120 km/h kind, and the balls to the wall warp speed kind.

As many of you noticed, most cars flying in the left lane are "nicer" cars. The photo radar doesn't hit every car that flies by it, so from what i figure, most people driving that fast figure 2-4000 dhs per year in speeding fines isn't all that bad to drive that fast everywhere all the time.
Well sure most of the cars that literally fly past you look nicer than others, but that doest excuse them from risking their lives and the lives of those around them. Just today I read that last year in Dubai alone there were some 2000 serious car crashes which resulted in nearly 1000 deaths, which put Dubai at the top of the world list of mortalities by road accidents per capita. This is serious stuff! :scared:

I may sound like an arrogant local with the first half of my next statement, so I am sorry......Its not the 200 or 400 dhs or whatever (which by the way TA5, changes depending on the amount by which you break the speed limit. Its no longer a flat 200 dhs fine - there are different bands).......the majority of people here, arrogant though it may sound, can afford to waste loads of money on paying speeding tickets. The value for human life is what is lacking in this country.

I dont care if every Tom, Abdullah or Carlos broke the speed limit, but the fact that they dont care about endangering the lives of other people on the road is what terrifies me the most! :scared:

For them its just a matter of a few hundred dirhams in fines or in the worst case scenario its JUST a matter of buying a new car, but for me, not endangering my familys life and my own along with the others around me is top priority, whether speeding is involved or not.

You have to atleast agree with me on that! People here do not value human life! Even when there is a car accident on any given road......tail backs stretch for miles only because people want to stop and see if any blood has been splattered on the road. Tragic behaviour. Just tragic.

-Face81
Old Sep 20th 2004, 3:14 am
Simply Brilliant

Cherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really nice

Originally Posted by Face81

And what about those maniacs that run across the highway where we have 5 lanes in either direction? Now those people must have a death wish!

Oh and that lift incident you reported...... have any of you ever experienced someone else trying to get in to the lift before you have had a chance to get out? Thats just plain rude and inconsiderate.

-Face81
Face81, didn't realise you'd caught me crossing the highways...I needed to get to the other side and couldn't figure out how else to do it. If I didn't run, I'd get killed....

As for lifts...nope... only ever experienced such rudeness in England.
Old Sep 20th 2004, 3:26 am
The Oracle

Face81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Cherrypie
Face81, didn't realise you'd caught me crossing the highways...I needed to get to the other side and couldn't figure out how else to do it. If I didn't run, I'd get killed....

As for lifts...nope... only ever experienced such rudeness in England.

All i can say is that with the cutural melting pot that is Dubai, which is now obviously getting to be fairly stale, one can only expect that intercultural difference related incidents to be on the rise!

Brace yourselves for a cultural explosion!!!! Chicken Tikka Pizza comes to mind and Date flavoured Gin.....mmmmmmmmmmm .....Makes me cringe just thinking about it!

And Cherry pie......were u serious about those mad dashes across SZR? I think I may have seen you once running wildly across the road. hahaha

-Face81

Last edited by Face81; Sep 20th 2004 at 3:29 am.
Old Sep 20th 2004, 3:28 am
Simply Brilliant

Cherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really nice

All i can say is that with the cutural melting pot that is Dubai, which is now obviously getting to be fairly stale, one can only expect that intercultural difference related incidents to be on the rise!

Brace yourselves for a cultural explosion!!!! Chicken Tikka Pizza comes to mind and Date flavoured Gin.....mmmmmmmmmmm .....Makes me cringe just thinking about it!

-Face81
I thought we were talking about crossing the road
Old Sep 20th 2004, 3:34 am
The Oracle

I thought we were talking about crossing the road
Sorry. I was.......got a bit side tracked and had to edit my initial post especially to mention u running across 10 lane highways! lol

-Face81
Old Sep 20th 2004, 3:40 am
Simply Brilliant

Sorry. I was.......got a bit side tracked and had to edit my initial post especially to mention u running across 10 lane highways! lol

-Face81
Jeez Face! I see you are on a mission to spread your knowledge on Dubai, by hook or by crook! You're welcome to...

Yes, it was me, lol! I used to live across the road from Spinneys and sometimes you have to cross the damned road. Silly to get the car out when it should be easier to just walk across. In theory anyway!!! Sometimes, it could take upto 20 minutes to cross though...bloody joke!
Old Sep 20th 2004, 3:44 am
Forum Regular

Elles is on a distinguished road

Just today I read that last year in Dubai alone there were some 2000 serious car crashes which resulted in nearly 1000 deaths, which put Dubai at the top of the world list of mortalities by road accidents per capita. This is serious stuff! -Face81

and I wonder what % were kids that wern't strapped into the car? It's shocking to see the driver with a seatbelt on with either kids hopping over the back seat or even worse, sat on the drivers lap!!!!
Old Sep 20th 2004, 4:09 am
Simply Brilliant

Originally Posted by Elles
and I wonder what % were kids that wern't strapped into the car? It's shocking to see the driver with a seatbelt on with either kids hopping over the back seat or even worse, sat on the drivers lap!!!!
The problem is that people really need educating and with the cross-section of nationalities out there, it's not an easy task. I did see some students handing out leaflets in Deira City Centre about the importance of car-seats for kids but it's just one tiny step in the right direction. Road safety and evrything falling under this umbrella, is something the rulers really need to pay attention to and invest serious money in. It's a real black mark on Dubai's reputation.
Old Sep 20th 2004, 4:12 am
The 5th Amendment

joseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nice

The problem is that people really need educating and with the cross-section of nationalities out there, it's not an easy task. I did see some students handing out leaflets in Deira City Centre about the importance of car-seats for kids but it's just one tiny step in the right direction. Road safety and evrything falling under this umbrella, is something the rulers really need to pay attention to and invest serious money in. It's a real black mark on Dubai's reputation.
how about this..... CherryPie the lollypop lady?! lol
Old Sep 20th 2004, 4:24 am
Simply Brilliant

Originally Posted by joseph.creative
how about this..... CherryPie the lollypop lady?! lol
Joseph, I was supposed to be logging off now but have been forced to respond to your comments. This is a serious issue, which you are attempting to trivialise with your smart-ass humour. You are a naughty boy!!!

Also, If I took on the role of lollypop lady, I would get killed by some mad bastard on the first day!
Old Sep 20th 2004, 4:46 am
The Oracle

Jeez Face! I see you are on a mission to spread your knowledge on Dubai, by hook or by crook! You're welcome to...

Yes, it was me, lol! I used to live across the road from Spinneys and sometimes you have to cross the damned road. Silly to get the car out when it should be easier to just walk across. In theory anyway!!! Sometimes, it could take upto 20 minutes to cross though...bloody joke!
Very true Cherrypie. The traffic can be a bloody problem at times, but hey, thats Dubai. I read someones letter in the papers the other day.....they called Paris the city OF ROMANCE, NewYork the BIG APPLE, Chicago the WINDY CITY and Dubai, the CITY OF TRAFFIC. Very apt if u ask me!

Doesnt really help when people like you distract us drivers by showing up in the middle of the street though! hahaha

-Face81

Last edited by Face81; Sep 20th 2004 at 5:35 am.
Old Sep 20th 2004, 9:51 am
The 5th Amendment

joseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nice

Joseph, I was supposed to be logging off now but have been forced to respond to your comments. This is a serious issue, which you are attempting to trivialise with your smart-ass humour. You are a naughty boy!!!

Also, If I took on the role of lollypop lady, I would get killed by some mad bastard on the first day!
ok point taken.
Old Sep 20th 2004, 10:08 am
Simply Brilliant

Originally Posted by joseph.creative
ok point taken.
You seem unusually subdued Joe. Hope everything's OK. Sent you that e-mail by the way. Not sure how helpful it is though...
Good Night
Old Sep 20th 2004, 7:40 pm

philipz is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by TA5
some of you seem to misunderstand the drivers here. Coming from the east coast of the US, the drivers here really aren't that bad. Comments like this

make me wonder if people understand a few things about driving here.
Well the guy was flashing me just before the bridge that begins Sharjah and there was no means of me changing my lanes or anything, and as soon as we got off the bridge, the mf started flashing again, when I am packed into a situation with people infront of me and to the side of me. They simply think that once they flash, no matter whats going on with the person in front of them, they gotta move out of the way. Thats what I was trying to say.

Well Im 24 and due to the accidents and blood money changes in the UAE, when I went to renew my car this month, very few insurance companies would insure me. Insurance companies dont check how long you had your license, how many accident you have been in, or anything, they simply said straight off the top, if you are below 25, then we cant. What is going on, as the a few years ago the limit was 21, so possibly the next time I go down it might be 30.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.