Is it just me?

Old Sep 19th 2004, 6:44 pm
Banned

DanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to all
Default Re: Is it just me?

With their good Muslim brothers flying the flag around Europe and the world, a couple of the kidnappers in Beslan, bombing Madrid, and generaly cutting folks heads off, people there must be attracted no end to come to a country that is steeped in bigatory, racism and the hatred their religion brings for anyone who can think for themself.
What?? I've lived among Muslims all my life, and I haven't come across bigotry that is any different than the bigotry in the Christian and Jewish communities.
Old Sep 19th 2004, 7:19 pm
The Oracle

Face81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of light

I have to agree totally with Steve. Things are going to get alot worse before they get any better. Especially where the traffic is concerned. Currently Dubai has some 500, 000 cars on the streets and this is expected to hit 1 million by 2010. The popuation wich stands at 1.2 million is expected to rise to 3 million by 2015. A magnet for regional terrorists if you ask me. :scared:

All you residents that plan to stay on for that long better brace yourselves for more crowded streets and shops and definately longer commuting times. Even the planned Mono-rail wont be able to help out that much when it is completed in 2013. I read a press release about the commuting times on the new train service. These may shock you:

Dubai Airport to City Centre: 20-25 minutes

Dubai World Trade Centre To The American Uni/Internet City/Media City: 25-30 minutes!!

With such long travel times, I think people would be happier clogging the city roads, or lack there of. Like Steve I dont plan on hanging around to see this city explode with all the mis givings a large metropolis. 22 and a half years has been more than enough for me. I am planning on leaving some time next year.

Perhaps one less car on the roads can make a difference? lol

-Face81
Old Sep 19th 2004, 7:30 pm
TA5
Banned (Always Correct)

TA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond repute

2nd off, British Expat' forum! I'm not the keenest on your attitudes over here also!
what's that supposed to mean, its a FORUM, if you disagree with what people say, then leave.

Back to the original topic, on the elevator to the underground car park this morning, i got on on my floor, going down, there was a well dressed indian boy who looked to be my same age already on the elevator. The elevator stopped two floors down, and 4 indian laborers got on. When we got to the ground floor, the door opened, and they instantly crammed out of my way to allow me to get off. But I didn't need to get off, it was the indian boy, i was going down to the car park. He basically had to yell at them and push them out of his way to get off before the elevator door closed on him. I just found it interesting that they would automatically move for me but for him they made him push them out of the way.
Old Sep 19th 2004, 9:10 pm
Simply Brilliant

Cherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really nice

Originally Posted by steve stevenson
I have to admit that I am in agreement with everything you have written although, I would like to add one point - It's only going to get worse, and that will be a great deal worse.

With their good Muslim brothers flying the flag around Europe and the world, a couple of the kidnappers in Beslan, bombing Madrid, and generaly cutting folks heads off, people there must be attracted no end to come to a country that is steeped in bigatory, racism and the hatred their religion brings for anyone who can think for themself.
Last time I checked, Dubai wasn't a country... I also can't help wondering what someone with opinions like yours is doing out there in the first place.
Old Sep 19th 2004, 9:13 pm
Simply Brilliant

Cherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really nice

Originally Posted by TA5
what's that supposed to mean, its a FORUM, if you disagree with what people say, then leave.

Back to the original topic, on the elevator to the underground car park this morning, i got on on my floor, going down, there was a well dressed indian boy who looked to be my same age already on the elevator. The elevator stopped two floors down, and 4 indian laborers got on. When we got to the ground floor, the door opened, and they instantly crammed out of my way to allow me to get off. But I didn't need to get off, it was the indian boy, i was going down to the car park. He basically had to yell at them and push them out of his way to get off before the elevator door closed on him. I just found it interesting that they would automatically move for me but for him they made him push them out of the way.
It's because they're ignorant arseholes and in many ways deserve the treatment they get. They don't aspire to anything better.
Old Sep 19th 2004, 9:40 pm

philipz is on a distinguished road

Well about road rage. Sometimes I just sit back and let the guy behind me flash his lights, what more can he do if I dont budge other than go around me. So many times I wanted to press on the brakes, but I was either driving my father's car or had other people in the car, who's lives I didnt want to risk.

Yep, if you have any problems, call the police to solve disputes and people like to put themselves above everyone else.
Old Sep 19th 2004, 10:12 pm
Just Joined

steve stevenson is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Nevi
Always good to have such a well-balanced opinion, and not to make sweeping generalisations....
That's what a forum is for you tit!

And yes there is probably one or two that aren't idiots although, it would probably be easier to find Shergar!
Old Sep 19th 2004, 10:24 pm
TA5
Banned (Always Correct)

TA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond repute

some of you seem to misunderstand the drivers here. Coming from the east coast of the US, the drivers here really aren't that bad. Comments like this

Sometimes I just sit back and let the guy behind me flash his lights, what more can he do if I dont budge other than go around me.
make me wonder if people understand a few things about driving here.

Unlike other countries, the left lane on highways is an EXTREMELY FAST LANE. Don't get in it unless there is NO traffic around you or you are travelling at 140 KPH or more. This is not an "ok i'll move if somebody comes along lane". I can vouch, it is very annoying when you are going 140-150 kph and some moron decides he wants to do 110-120 kph in front of you. If you do need to travel in that lane and aren't moving at warp speed, make sure you check your mirror every 10 seconds, as cars come up very quickly, and will be on your tail trying to pass you on the shoulder before you know it.

Notice that most highways here are 4 lanes, the two right hand lanes are the only ones trucks can be in, the left hand lanes are for cars. The left lane, as said before, is the fast lane, the second lane in from the left is the normal lane, normally (w/o traffic) moving around 110 kph. Its the people that want to go 120kph instead of 110 kph that cause problems by jumping into the left lane. Just cause your car beeps at 120 kph doesn't mean everyone elses does.
Old Sep 19th 2004, 10:27 pm
The 5th Amendment

joseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nice

Originally Posted by TA5
some of you seem to misunderstand the drivers here. Coming from the east coast of the US, the drivers here really aren't that bad. Comments like this

make me wonder if people understand a few things about driving here.

Unlike other countries, the left lane on highways is an EXTREMELY FAST LANE. Don't get in it unless there is NO traffic around you or you are travelling at 140 KPH or more. This is not an "ok i'll move if somebody comes along lane". I can vouch, it is very annoying when you are going 140-150 kph and some moron decides he wants to do 110-120 kph in front of you. If you do need to travel in that lane and aren't moving at warp speed, make sure you check your mirror every 10 seconds, as cars come up very quickly, and will be on your tail trying to pass you on the shoulder before you know it.

Notice that most highways here are 4 lanes, the two right hand lanes are the only ones trucks can be in, the left hand lanes are for cars. The left lane, as said before, is the fast lane, the second lane in from the left is the normal lane, normally (w/o traffic) moving around 110 kph. Its the people that want to go 120kph instead of 110 kph that cause problems by jumping into the left lane. Just cause your car beeps at 120 kph doesn't mean everyone elses does.
and the most annoying thing about that beep.... trying to have conversation on the cell phone!!

ok.. gotta pack as over on the 10am flight from Heathrow to Dubai....
Old Sep 19th 2004, 10:38 pm
Forum Regular

Nevi is an unknown quantity at this point

That's what a forum is for you tit!

And yes there is probably one or two that aren't idiots although, it would probably be easier to find Shergar!
A very elegantly expressed, and well-reasoned retort.
Old Sep 19th 2004, 10:46 pm
Simply Brilliant

it would probably be easier to find Shergar!
Old Sep 19th 2004, 10:48 pm
TA5
Banned (Always Correct)

That has to be a new record, 7 posts to alienate the entire community.
Old Sep 19th 2004, 11:08 pm
Forum Regular

Nevi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Cherrypie
Just to fill you in - Shergar was a horse - the 1981 Derby winner (among other things) that was kidnapped.
Old Sep 19th 2004, 11:13 pm
Simply Brilliant

Originally Posted by Nevi
Just to fill you in - Shergar was a horse - the 1981 Derby winner (among other things) that was kidnapped.
Aaaah! Thank you for enlightening me Nevi. ...an arrogant twat, this Stevie Stevens, if you ask me.

Right, am off now.
Old Sep 19th 2004, 11:29 pm
The Oracle

Face81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by TA5
some of you seem to misunderstand the drivers here. Coming from the east coast of the US, the drivers here really aren't that bad. Comments like this make me wonder if people understand a few things about driving here.

TA5....Do u really drive at 140-150 kmph? That is sort of above the speed limit isnt it? I am not saying that I drive in the fast lane at 120 kmph, infact I avoid it at all costs and go at 120 in the second lane from the left.

My point I guess is that perhaps some of the speed limits in Dubai need to be revised. And maybe all trucks, buses, pick ups, mini vans and mini buses should be confined to the last 2 lanes on the highway or perhaps even the very last lane on the highway, as is the case with Abu Dhabi.

I often get people flashing at me even in the second lane. And more often than not its some 100% tinted car with some high flying local no doubt who thinks he can squeeze past me and the car in the fast lane by temporarily forming an intermediate lane in between! Now thats what I call crazy!

And what about those maniacs that run across the highway where we have 5 lanes in either direction? Now those people must have a death wish!

Oh and that lift incident you reported...... have any of you ever experienced someone else trying to get in to the lift before you have had a chance to get out? Thats just plain rude and inconsiderate.

-Face81

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.