Is it just me?

Old Sep 17th 2004, 8:52 am
Simply Brilliant

Cherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really nice
Default Re: Is it just me?

Originally Posted by Heart of gold
Hi all.
Its me to, I reckon! I have been here almost a year ( And the hardest) and I am about to venture out and learn to drive but the ammount of times that our car has been cut up, cars driving to close and and getting the feeling of coming close to angels, is it really worth it.

And yes the local have the manners of I dont know what, but I seem to get rudeness at every turn and Im usually a polite kindda person but when I have a fist shaken at me I returned the gesture!

My last instruter in the Uk stopped teaching me to drive as I have a tendancy to get rather annoyed at other thought less drivers who have no consideration at all! And I guess this could be classed as road rage... Perhaps.

I, dont consider duabi to be all the safe one cos they have no idea what padestrian crossings are and a car that is a good distance away,all of a sudden in right in front of you the momnet you step on to the that crossing , ohhh it makes my blood boil and I have heard some scary stories of kids beng taken in some malls.

All in all I hoping that some one can convince me that the life here is worth it as I right now my opinion is some what low.

Enough waffle, sorry guys.
Easy solutions:

1. Drive like the locals...you'll be fine.
2. Understand that there is no such thing as a pedestrian crossing in Dubai, so do not be fooled by lines on the road.
3. The kids/mall story was just an internet scare story, which has been circulating for a while...the name of the country concerned is always changing.
4. English lessons?
Old Sep 18th 2004, 7:11 am

Heart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cherrypie
Easy solutions:

1. Drive like the locals...you'll be fine.
2. Understand that there is no such thing as a pedestrian crossing in Dubai, so do not be fooled by lines on the road.
3. The kids/mall story was just an internet scare story, which has been circulating for a while...the name of the country concerned is always changing.
4. English lessons?
Ok I shall take the bull by the horns and give it some, drive like the locals. I can easily imagine that there are no white lines anywhere as they have no idea what side of the road they want to be on, I can perhaps allow my 12 year old to go out with friends and slacken of being eagle eyed mum and as for english lessons ... nah!!! Thanks for info
Old Sep 18th 2004, 4:45 pm
Just Joined

steve stevenson is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by joseph.creative
so what is all ofthis with epople saying it is a safe safe place... or maybe the russian mafia keep it all safe.... who knows?
I've never seen/heard of any crime being reported; although I have seen a number of assualts and criminal damage to cars in the time that I have been here. There was a report of children being caught with drugs, although most of them were not of UAE origin.

Basicaly the UAE is dictatorship that is ignored by the EU and the US for a number of reasons mainly money and oil. If that seems a bit much maybe you can tell me when the last General Election was?
Old Sep 18th 2004, 5:02 pm
Forum Regular

Elles is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by steve stevenson
Couldn't agree more although, you seemed to have missed out all the arogance and ignorance that comes along with the locals.

It's very much what nationality you are or the colour of your skin depends on how you get treated out here. Dubai is one place where "equals" don't exist!

And most things are all hype...like that crappy shopping festival and summer surprises! You get 2 days of great bargins in the sales...then it's just shite for a month!

As for driving? Dubai is a unique place, where you have people that know how to drive, people who just pay for a licience without taking a test and think they know how to drive and the plain old "if I push this thing the car moves forward" drivers......it's all good fun...NOT!
Old Sep 18th 2004, 5:10 pm
Forum Regular

I've never seen/heard of any crime being reported; although I have seen a number of assualts and criminal damage to cars in the time that I have been here. There was a report of children being caught with drugs, although most of them were not of UAE origin.

Basicaly the UAE is dictatorship that is ignored by the EU and the US for a number of reasons mainly money and oil. If that seems a bit much maybe you can tell me when the last General Election was?
if anything did happen out here you would never see it reported in the papers on on the news. things like that are kept all hush hush not to disrupt the harmony of Dubai life! The only way you would hear is word of mouth....at the start of the iraq war there was a rumor that an expat had got a load of obuse and their car attacked at spinneys....true or not? we'll never know!

Saying that, the odd murder story appears in the papers a few months after the event or more recently kids being arrested for smoking pot at school....
Old Sep 18th 2004, 5:11 pm

Heart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elles
It's very much what nationality you are or the colour of your skin depends on how you get treated out here. Dubai is one place where "equals" don't exist!

And most things are all hype...like that crappy shopping festival and summer surprises! You get 2 days of great bargins in the sales...then it's just shite for a month!

As for driving? Dubai is a unique place, where you have people that know how to drive, people who just pay for a licience without taking a test and think they know how to drive and the plain old "if I push this thing the car moves forward" drivers......it's all good fun...NOT!
Im inclined to agree, its a the case of them and "Us" and no matter how well positoned you are, you can still be treated like shit!
I found the summer surprises last year crap so was not sad to spend the summer in the Uk this year
Old Sep 18th 2004, 8:36 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Elles
if anything did happen out here you would never see it reported in the papers on on the news. things like that are kept all hush hush not to disrupt the harmony of Dubai life! The only way you would hear is word of mouth....at the start of the iraq war there was a rumor that an expat had got a load of obuse and their car attacked at spinneys....true or not? we'll never know!

Saying that, the odd murder story appears in the papers a few months after the event or more recently kids being arrested for smoking pot at school....
Recently I had a problem at a local gym which is attached to a shopping centre and bars (let you guess although it shouldn't be difficult), whereby I was asked to change seperately from everyone else. Under the circumstances it was obviously due to race. I got my membership back but in the process I found out the same thing had happened to a member of the opposite sex a couple of weeks previous and they were in the process of getting their membership back also. I have also been shouted at whilst out running.

Racism is very much alive and well in Dubai, hust like crime they try to ignore it as much as possible.
Old Sep 18th 2004, 10:11 pm
The Oracle

Face81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of light

Sad to say it, but I have to agree 100% with all of you. Racism is indeed alive and kicking in this adopted City-State of ours. From cashiers to waiters and from sales people to receptionists, you are treated based on the colour of you skin and the nation from which you hail.

For yours truly, answering a simple question such as "Where are you from?" is no simple matter. I am half this and half that (Irish and English included) ......totalling 4 nations....neither of which I have ever visited . haha. I was born here in Dubai and can only speak English and French.

In the past, expecially during taxi rides, the cabbie would take a shot in the dark to try and guess my home nation. i have been called everything from Japanese!!! to a local. Hahahaha. I just politely respond by saying Turkey or Malta. I always get away with it and the buck stops there!

Now a days....especially in shops and the like, the shop attendants treat u like shite until they hear u speaking and then decide to treat you nicely once they see you are an educated and civilised person. But until that point, your skin tone dictates the treatment you receive. Its terrible! As most of you know, even job adverts say crap like "UK/US/AUS educated applicants only", which is by far one of the most appalling things ever. Mind you I will have that so no probs for me. Just making a point.

I even once read a news paper article a couple of months ago about how some asian and arab men were asked to pay entance fees to night clubs whilst westerners werent. So the racism exists across the board. Fortunately I have never had that experience!

Even stupid DVD rental application forms have 'nationality' on them. Why would they need that information? Same goes for those cheap raffles that run during the festivals. Why nationality? It beats me!

I know this is pretty long, but one last example... I was shopping for some biscuits at M&S yesterday when I cam accross some that were a week past their sell by date. When I pointed this out to one of the sales people, she was quick to respond by saying that was the reason for their "reduced" price. I then asked her if she was joking and that if M&S was actually selling expired goods at low prices? Then quickly realising that I knew what I was talking about, the packs of biscuits were whipped off the shelves and I received an apology. Pathetic!

I think it all boils down tot the lack of education amongst the people of this skyscraper studded nation. They are just waiting to slap thousands of stereotypes on you! 90% of this countrys population consists of labour class people who are more often than not un educated and somehow have it fixed in their heads that nationality is somehow important. Its terrible!

Dubai really need to educate the people on racism before things start to get out of hand. With all of your incidents and mine combined, we could easily imagine how many other similar incidents have gone unchecked!

Hope it improves with time, eh?

-Face81
Old Sep 18th 2004, 10:58 pm

philipz is on a distinguished road

Well here in the UAE, I must say its 'all about the money' and 'who you know', and thats your position in society. I have had so many incidents with dumb ass locals when it comes to driving that I am happy that I only drive my car once or twice a week.

One time, I was in a traffic jam and this landcruiser skipped in front of a number of cars behind me and then ventured to get infront of me, I made sure I kept may guard up and he kept on trying to get infront of me. In the end he was a few inches from my car and just about to hit when he rolled down his window and knocked on mine. I rolled mine down and he said, I am getting infront of you. I expected that if he tried that he would hit my car, so I just stayed put, but he missed, which really pissed me off.

Locals dont have any goddamn patience when it come to standing in a line or more particularly in a traffic jam, but luckily some Dubai police make sure to put them in their place when they cross the line at the traffic jams.
Old Sep 18th 2004, 11:27 pm
TA5
Banned (Always Correct)

TA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond repute

Yea, one good rule to remember is, as a westerner, the Dubai Police and CID will always have your side, sometimes even if something is partially your fault. If ever in a situation where something could potentially get out of hand, call the police, or if someone is pressuring you to do something you think is wrong, tell them you will call the police to sort it out, and watch as the person backs off, knowing that in these cases the westerner will always get their way.

The last thing the rulers and powers that be in this country wants is some westerner calling up his local or national newspaper telling them something about how he was treated unfairly or abused by people here.

I know this is wrong, but in some cases it can help.
Old Sep 18th 2004, 11:46 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by TA5
Yea, one good rule to remember is, as a westerner, the Dubai Police and CID will always have your side, sometimes even if something is partially your fault. If ever in a situation where something could potentially get out of hand, call the police, or if someone is pressuring you to do something you think is wrong, tell them you will call the police to sort it out, and watch as the person backs off, knowing that in these cases the westerner will always get their way.

The last thing the rulers and powers that be in this country wants is some westerner calling up his local or national newspaper telling them something about how he was treated unfairly or abused by people here.

you mean the police actually do something out here other than write out forms for a minor prang on cars?? WOW...I must have missed that one! There is never a policeman about when you need them on the road to stop the erratic drivers.....!

What really annoys me is our local shop Choitrams....there's always maids of different nationalities there buying a few items and if there is a queue, the shop assistant will take my basket and push in front of them, making them wait! I'm in the queue just like them so why should I be served sooner! Really pisses me off! They have even opened a checkout for me so I didn’t have to wait which I think is rude! SO now I tell them I will wait my turn, but you can see them mumbling to them selves that they will get a rollicking if the manager sees.....

And if a local tries to push in them I also stand my ground and tell them to get to the back of the queue! They can backchat and wave their arms all they like, I couldn’t give a shite cos I don’t know what they are saying anyway! If there’s a queue, wait your turn!!

Oh I feel so much better now!
Old Sep 19th 2004, 12:04 am
The Oracle

Face81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of light

I tend to agree with Elles TA5, the police here are just plain bad. They do nothing but write out reports and when I was once involved in a fender bender (no thanks to some idiot driving a pickup truck), I couldnt beleive how the accident suddenly became my fault when it was clearly not. I had such a problem communicating with the police who apparently only spoke Arabic or Urdu, neither of which I am familiar with. I ended up using my credit card and drivers license to replay the traffic incident for them.

In the end, the police blamed me just because the truck driver was an Arab (obviously fluent in Arabic) who had managed to sway their judgement.

I wasnt going to take it lying down so I attempted to protest their decision, but was told that if I attempted to take this further, there would be a court case (which they quickly pointed out I would lose) and then I would have to pay a public fine of some 10 grand for wasting the courts time. So I obviously backed down.

But I do agree with PhilipZ that driving etiquette is non-existent in the country and those speed demons force those of us who drive to risk our lives each day. Tailing us, flashing their head lights at you, breaking the speed limit and forcing you to do the same or have them smash into the back of your car or the maniacs who drive on the hard shoulder or the best of all.....the freaks that try to dash across Sheikh Zayed Road during rush hour? Maniacs!

And I also agree with Elles. Queue? What queue? I am a local and I deserve to be infront of you. And so what if I jump the line? that always pisses me off and I ALWAYS get into an agrument with anyone who attempts to jump the bloody queue. Stay in line! Arghhh. Some day I will probably end up bashing one of them up! Jeez. The people in this country really do make me furious at times.

-Face81 (trying to calm down...........)

Last edited by Face81; Sep 19th 2004 at 6:43 pm.
Old Sep 19th 2004, 4:54 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by TA5

What plannet are you on? Try having a member of the "dish dash" brigade run into you in their Merc'! Your second class there.

2nd off, British Expat' forum! I'm not the keenest on your attitudes over here also!
Old Sep 19th 2004, 5:08 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Face81
I tend to agree with Elles TA5, the police here are just plain bad. They do nothing but write out reports and when I was once involved in a fender bender (no thanks to some idiot driving a pickup truck), I couldnt beleive how the accident suddenly became my fault when it was clearly not. I had such a problem communicating with the police who apparently only spoke Arabic or Urdu, neither of which I am familiar with. I ended up using my credit card and drivers license to replay the traffic incident for them.

In the end, the police blamed me just because the truck driver was an Arab (obviously fluent in Arabic) who had managed to sway their judgement.

I wanst going to take it lying down so I attempted to protest their decision, but was told that if I attempted to take this further, there would be a court case (which they quickly pointed out I would lose) and then I would have to pay a public fine of some 10 grand for wasting the courts time. So I obviously backed down.

But I do agree with PhilipZ that driving etiquette is non-existent in the country and those speed demons force those of us who drive to risk our lives each day. Tailing us, flashing their head lights at you, breaking the speed limit and forcing you to do the same or have them smash into the back of your car or the maniacs who drive on the hard shoulder or the best of all.....the freaks that try to dash across Sheikh Zayed Road during rush hour? Maniacs!

And I also agree with Elles. Queue? What queue? I am a local and I deserve to be infront of you. And so what if I jump the line? that always pisses me off and I ALWAYS get into an agrument with anyone who attempts to jump the bloody queue. Stay in line! Arghhh. Some day I will probably end up bashing one of them up! Jeez. The people in this country really do make me furious at times.

-Face81 (trying to calm down...........)
I have to admit that I am in agreement with everything you have written although, I would like to add one point - It's only going to get worse, and that will be a great deal worse.

I read a report in which the government/DM/Sh. or whoever wants to double the population of the UAE over the next 5 years. Whilst this is quite obviously a boom bust situation; can you imagine another 2 and a half million expat's coming here to live? With their good Muslim brothers flying the flag around Europe and the world, a couple of the kidnappers in Beslan, bombing Madrid, and generaly cutting folks heads off, people there must be attracted no end to come to a country that is steeped in bigatory, racism and the hatred their religion brings for anyone who can think for themself.

To sustain that growth and complete the construction of it you will see a lot more quality drivers arrive in the UAE. I on the other hand don't plan on hanging around to see it, the lure of civilisation, culture and the four seasons is far too much for me.
Old Sep 19th 2004, 5:22 pm
Forum Regular

Nevi is an unknown quantity at this point

I have to admit that I am in agreement with everything you have written although, I would like to add one point - It's only going to get worse, and that will be a great deal worse.

I read a report in which the government/DM/Sh. or whoever wants to double the population of the UAE over the next 5 years. Whilst this is quite obviously a boom bust situation; can you imagine another 2 and a half million expat's coming here to live? With their good Muslim brothers flying the flag around Europe and the world, a couple of the kidnappers in Beslan, bombing Madrid, and generaly cutting folks heads off, people there must be attracted no end to come to a country that is steeped in bigatory, racism and the hatred their religion brings for anyone who can think for themself.

To sustain that growth and complete the construction of it you will see a lot more quality drivers arrive in the UAE. I on the other hand don't plan on hanging around to see it, the lure of civilisation, culture and the four seasons is far too much for me.
Always good to have such a well-balanced opinion, and not to make sweeping generalisations....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.