Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Just don't call it TAX!!

Just don't call it TAX!!

Old Jun 10th 2008, 4:39 am
Just Joined

nabil_8 has a spectacular aura aboutnabil_8 has a spectacular aura aboutnabil_8 has a spectacular aura about
Default Just don't call it TAX!!

Dubai: A new health coverage system will be implemented in Dubai from January next year. It will allow residents access to basic and essential medical care through a central fund paid for by sponsors, a senior official said.

Each sponsor must pay between Dh500 and Dh800 annually to the Central Health Fund, for each beneficiary. The government will pay the fee for UAE nationals and employer for his or her employees. Husbands or parents will have to pay for their spouse and children.
Old Jun 10th 2008, 5:19 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just don't call it TAX!!

our Company gives us private medical insurance so would they still have to pay this
Old Jun 10th 2008, 5:25 am
Its all good

Fairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond repute

I doubt they would have to pay it if they already provide the cover, we have our own medical and dental clinics and don't even have to have a health card at the moment. Might make some companies stop paying for private medical insurance though??
Old Jun 10th 2008, 5:26 am
Just Joined

nabil_8 has a spectacular aura aboutnabil_8 has a spectacular aura aboutnabil_8 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
our Company gives us private medical insurance so would they still have to pay this
Yeah same here. But the article also says:

"The health fund entitles each individual to basic and essential services, such as child immunisation and outpatient care, at a Dubai clinic as well as emergency care. Plans are afoot to include cancer treatment to the list of services. Individuals may also supplement their health coverage with a private insurance policy."
Old Jun 10th 2008, 5:30 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

so no different to the medical card we get from the Government then?
Old Jun 10th 2008, 6:42 am
BE Enthusiast

jrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to all

Is this the new healthcare organised by the government and provided through Daman?
Old Jun 10th 2008, 7:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

wouldn't everyone have to pay, regardless of whether you have cover or not, just like at home...?? otherwise, it won't work, surely, cos i would imagine most expats have cover...

MM, xx
Old Jun 10th 2008, 8:05 am
Forum Regular

madferrit is just really nicemadferrit is just really nicemadferrit is just really nicemadferrit is just really nicemadferrit is just really nicemadferrit is just really nicemadferrit is just really nicemadferrit is just really nicemadferrit is just really nicemadferrit is just really nicemadferrit is just really nice

I would imagine that everyone would have to pay, regardless of whether you have cover or not.

But I don't think it should be knocked on the head. I'm guessing things like immunisation and A&E will be covered by this, in which case I'd say it can only be a good thing. 500Dhms annually isn't a lot of money when you think what they could be providing in return.
Old Jun 10th 2008, 8:21 am
W10

Everyone will have to pay, regardless of whether they already have cover.

I will only be a good idea if they change it to a progressive tax system. Following the NHS model can only be a good thing if they realise that the only fair way to pay is on affordability.

Old Jun 10th 2008, 8:39 am
Forum Regular

madferrit is just really nicemadferrit is just really nicemadferrit is just really nicemadferrit is just really nicemadferrit is just really nicemadferrit is just really nicemadferrit is just really nicemadferrit is just really nicemadferrit is just really nicemadferrit is just really nicemadferrit is just really nice

Originally Posted by W10
I will only be a good idea if they change it to a progressive tax system. Following the NHS model can only be a good thing if they realise that the only fair way to pay is on affordability.
The only difference here (from my understanding of this) is that the sponsor has to pay. So its like your employer paying for you, where as in the UK it was deducted from the employees wage packet (in the form of tax/ NI).
Old Jun 10th 2008, 3:11 pm
Its all good

Fairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond repute

Here is a bit more information on the subject:-

http://www.thenational.ae/article/20...0&profile=1010
Old Jun 10th 2008, 3:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

jvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by madferrit
The only difference here (from my understanding of this) is that the sponsor has to pay. So its like your employer paying for you, where as in the UK it was deducted from the employees wage packet (in the form of tax/ NI).
does that make it more or less likely that those who it would otherwise benefit (i.e. those who have no real insurance currently) will benefit, I wonder?
Old Jun 10th 2008, 3:40 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jvr20
does that make it more or less likely that those who it would otherwise benefit (i.e. those who have no real insurance currently) will benefit, I wonder?
I can't see it being like the NHS.. but i think it will be a step between the health card currently in place, and private medical. With an influx of people from all corners of the planet, I am sure immunisation is a serious issue that needs to be addressed. This is just one way to ensure that the issue is tackled.

So.. (i think i understand your question).. I think it will benefit those who have no real insurance, but in no way should this be assumed to be a replacement from getting your own pirvate medical insurance.
Old Jun 10th 2008, 4:55 pm
W10

Individuals have to pay for their families though, so employer pays Dh800. You pay Dh1,600 for your wife and kid.

The idea is to provide a basic level of healthcare for everyone and give them all access to private hospitals and clinics. It also guarantees access to all A&E (which will be a great thing for ALL residents here, if anyone has ever known someone with the 'wrong' card get rushed to hospital they will agree) The plan will be extended and is the first step.

I just find it amazing that because we are stuck with not calling it a tax it is a flat fee. It means a man earning Dh6,000 a month pays Dh1,600 for his family while a man earned Dh60,000 a month also pays Dh1,600.

Old Jun 10th 2008, 5:35 pm
Its all good

Yes but we have our own private gps and clinics just for EK staff so surely wouldn't have to pay again

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.