Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Just arrived in Riyadh

Just arrived in Riyadh

Old Nov 20th 2008, 12:00 pm
Forum Regular

MGinRiyadh is a jewel in the roughMGinRiyadh is a jewel in the roughMGinRiyadh is a jewel in the roughMGinRiyadh is a jewel in the rough
Smile Just arrived in Riyadh

Hi all,

I just thought I would drop a line on here to say hi to all, and in particular to those living in Riyadh.

I arrived a few days ago and am staying at Al Waha. It's a little quiter here than I was expecting, but having travelled here prior to taking up my role, it not too much of a shock as I did as much homework as I could prior to arriving - still, nothing will prepare you for acutally moving. Not just in relation to Riyadh, I moved 5 years ago to Auckland from London and there is a period of adjustment to go through even when moving somewhere like that.

So, what's the social scene here - if at all! I know being a single guy here won't be one long party, but I would love to chat with anyone who here and to help me get oriented!

Anyway, I will try to make a positive contribution as I found these forums invaluable when doing my own research.

Best wishes to all,

Mark
Old Nov 20th 2008, 12:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just arrived in Riyadh

Hi Mark, Welcoome. Not sure where all the single men go - but get yourself on the Embassy lists as they have stuff on. Do you run ? Join a hash as that's a way to make friends and meet people. There were quite a few single women and men at the one I went to recently.

Gosh, this boarding is becoming positively full of Riyadhites!!

N
Old Nov 20th 2008, 12:57 pm
Forum Regular

MGinRiyadh is a jewel in the roughMGinRiyadh is a jewel in the roughMGinRiyadh is a jewel in the roughMGinRiyadh is a jewel in the rough

Hi Nic,

Thanks for this. I guess getting fit is one of the positives of being here as there isn't too much else going on! (apart from shopping which seems to be the primary national pastime!) Thankfully the El Waha compound has a good gym!

Wherabouts do you register with them? I can't seem to find it on the their website.

Thanks again

MG
Old Nov 20th 2008, 2:12 pm
Forum Regular

ps to all - only looking to make some social connections here as there does not appear to be much going on at this compound socially, many don't even say hi other which I wasn't expecting... perhaps those 5 years in NZ have made me too outgoing!

Last edited by MGinRiyadh; Nov 20th 2008 at 3:29 pm.
Old Nov 24th 2008, 8:01 am
Just Joined

flash_gordon is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Mark

I used to stay at Al Wadi (just down the paddock from you), and had friends at Al Waha. I know there's a bunch of Philipino guys who play futsal and basketball at Al Wadi every week. Otherwise I'd aim for one of those Kiwi and Oz embassy do's to find out more info.
By the way, I'll be heading back to Riyadh soo, is Al Waha chockers full?

Cheers,

FG
Old Nov 24th 2008, 8:03 am
Forum Regular

Hi Flash,

Thanks for the tip! I will find out what occupancy is like here and get back to you.

Cheers

Mark
Old Nov 24th 2008, 9:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Nic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi MG, Not sure how we registered - assumed it was over the internet - but will check. Also if you join something like RGBB (Riyadh group of british businesmen or something) you'll get an 'in'.

N
Old Nov 24th 2008, 10:27 am
Forum Regular

Hi Nic,

Thanks for the tip!

I registered on the FCO Locate system and have been given the name of the Warden for my area, so I will see how I get on with finding some things out from him.

Also, as I have PR with NZ, they have been really quick a pro-active in providing lots of activities that are happening too

More than happy to share if anyone needs any info.

Thanks again,

MG
Old Nov 24th 2008, 11:18 am

still.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by MGinRiyadh
Hi Nic,

Thanks for the tip!

I registered on the FCO Locate system and have been given the name of the Warden for my area, so I will see how I get on with finding some things out from him.

Also, as I have PR with NZ, they have been really quick a pro-active in providing lots of activities that are happening too

More than happy to share if anyone needs any info.

Thanks again,

MG

hmmm... kiwis... dunno...

will prob pester you for 'ins' next week sometime but would appreciate any pointers