British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Just arrived in Dubai!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/just-arrived-dubai-612072/)

Littlemisscaro May 30th 2009 2:01 pm

Just arrived in Dubai!!

Hi everyone,

What a manic past week! After tearful goodbyes that had me puffy faced for most of the journey, I arrived in Dubai in the early hours of this morning and got driven straight to my hotel apartments. Knocked me for six how hot it was though!! Haha! Rather typically, I left just as the UK's great summer weather was kicking off. Bahh!! Just been having a wander about today to get my bearings...ended up in a mall with a ski slope and discovered that Marmite costs 6 British Pounds a pot!!

Think I'll really like it here and I'm looking forward to settling in and starting my new job tomorrow.

My Skype seems to be OK on the hotel wireless internet connection but I'm struggling to find a way of watching the Britain's Got Talent final...anyone got any ideas please? Also...the apprentice!! I downloaded i-player before I left but it won't let me get anything cos I'm outside the UK...need my fix!

C xxxx

Euc- May 30th 2009 2:16 pm

Re: Just arrived in Dubai!!

Welcome! :)

Using skype is no problem, you just cannot download it from the original website, that's all.

About the Britain's got talent thingy, get a UK VPN and you should be fine watching it

glynster May 30th 2009 2:58 pm

alternativeley stop watching crap and start living life a bit more:thumbup::rofl:

MrsHawkes May 30th 2009 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by Littlemisscaro (Post 7618234)
Hi everyone,

What a manic past week! After tearful goodbyes that had me puffy faced for most of the journey, I arrived in Dubai in the early hours of this morning and got driven straight to my hotel apartments. Knocked me for six how hot it was though!! Haha! Rather typically, I left just as the UK's great summer weather was kicking off. Bahh!! Just been having a wander about today to get my bearings...ended up in a mall with a ski slope and discovered that Marmite costs 6 British Pounds a pot!!

Think I'll really like it here and I'm looking forward to settling in and starting my new job tomorrow.

My Skype seems to be OK on the hotel wireless internet connection but I'm struggling to find a way of watching the Britain's Got Talent final...anyone got any ideas please? Also...the apprentice!! I downloaded i-player before I left but it won't let me get anything cos I'm outside the UK...need my fix!

C xxxx

Hi Littlemisscaro,

Welcome to Dubai!

Yeah it's getting pretty hot here now.

I don't eat marmite (i've never tried it infact!) so not sure about that but things from home can be more expensive here.

Did you get your VPN sorted? Let me know and i'll find out from hubbie how he did ours.

I LOVE the apprentice but haven't watched much of BGT yet.

Mrs H

Roadking May 30th 2009 3:29 pm

Hi everyone,

C xxxx

Good for you, girl. Welcome to the sunny side of the street. That means; no shade and boiling hot for the next three months or so. On your crappy programmes, why not download through a torrent service? Google search for utorrent or bitlord or similar... Good luck

TGFKASE May 30th 2009 3:57 pm

Hi everyone,

C xxxx

And you promised to send your flight details....

Ah well, the kilt goes back in the wardrobe .......

deemi786 May 30th 2009 4:46 pm

Hi everyone,

C xxxx

welcome welcome,

Thats nothing i bought some frubes today and they cost me 7 pounds!!

Anyway enjoy, you'll meet lots of nice people here.

FunnyFeline May 31st 2009 6:09 am

Welcome...I only arrived a week last Friday, so know exactly how you feel. PM me if you fancy a coffee one day...always good to meet new people. I've already been to one coffee morning & am meeting up with a few others over the next while. :)

Zico2009 May 31st 2009 8:12 am

Hey Guys and Gals,

I too have just arrived in Dubai - I've just got SKYPE, got my VISA sorted and done my driving licence.

If you need any help or just a coffee then message me and we can have little chat and drink.:thumbup:

Littlemisscaro May 31st 2009 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by TGFKASE (Post 7618430)
And you promised to send your flight details....

Ah well, the kilt goes back in the wardrobe .......

Get the kilt out..you know the ladies love it!!!!:D

Littlemisscaro May 31st 2009 5:26 pm

Thanks everyone for the welcomes...Funnyfeline, I'm about to PM you now!

C xx

TGFKASE Jun 1st 2009 4:24 am

Originally Posted by Littlemisscaro (Post 7620849)
Get the kilt out..you know the ladies love it!!!!:D

Thats exactly why I dont wear it every weekend...

I have to gird myself for the inevitable....