Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

just arrived in AD and having problems using Outlook

just arrived in AD and having problems using Outlook

Old Dec 28th 2010, 4:27 am
Forum Regular

mummy2dolly is a jewel in the roughmummy2dolly is a jewel in the roughmummy2dolly is a jewel in the roughmummy2dolly is a jewel in the rough
Default just arrived in AD and having problems using Outlook

We arrived in AD Sunday night, and are staying in a hotel until our shipment arrives and we find a house. I have tried using Outlook for my emails, and they download fine, but they won't send. Dh has played around with it, has tried changing the outgoing smtp to Etisalat, but no joy. I can email from the email provider sites direct, but not through Outlook As I have a couple of email accounts, Outlook is obviously the easier option for me, is there any way I can make it work please?

Edited to add that the VPN makes no difference.....they still won't send even when it's on.......
Old Dec 28th 2010, 6:01 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: just arrived in AD and having problems using Outlook

have you spoken to the Hotel? welcome to BE
Old Dec 28th 2010, 7:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mummy2dolly
We arrived in AD Sunday night, and are staying in a hotel until our shipment arrives and we find a house. I have tried using Outlook for my emails, and they download fine, but they won't send. Dh has played around with it, has tried changing the outgoing smtp to Etisalat, but no joy. I can email from the email provider sites direct, but not through Outlook As I have a couple of email accounts, Outlook is obviously the easier option for me, is there any way I can make it work please?

Edited to add that the VPN makes no difference.....they still won't send even when it's on.......
let me be the one to break the bad news...it is unlikely that you will be able to ever do this.

It's not a UAE / Etisalat problem - the problem is that your email account provider will not accept email send requests unless you are on their network. (this is to stop remote spamming)

I assume that your email provider and internet service provider back in the UK were the same company (e.g. talk talk, or virgin). There is no real way around this - speak with your home ISP who might be able to tell you. One possible way around it would be to VPN into a machine located on that network - more problems that it's worth.
Old Dec 28th 2010, 11:42 am
BE Forum Addict

DAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of light

To add a wee bit to what EmiratesMillhouse said.
You might be able to log onto your email server via their website using your login & password.I did this with Tiscali from Canada for a while until the account ended. You can receive and send doing this but as EmiratesMillhouse mentioned you wont be able to do it via Outlook

Last edited by DAVIE_MAC; Dec 28th 2010 at 11:44 am. Reason: Sorry for the bolding tried to delete it... :(
Old Dec 28th 2010, 12:14 pm
Forum Regular

mummy2dolly is a jewel in the roughmummy2dolly is a jewel in the roughmummy2dolly is a jewel in the roughmummy2dolly is a jewel in the rough

Thankyou for the responses....even though they told me what I didn't want to hear, at least I know to give up on it now
Old Dec 28th 2010, 1:12 pm
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Thankyou for the responses....even though they told me what I didn't want to hear, at least I know to give up on it now
also you have the worst name I've ever seen.
Old Dec 28th 2010, 2:13 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Spugsy
ha ha ha, really? have 10p
Old Dec 28th 2010, 2:31 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spugsy
I think her daughter has the worst name
Old Dec 28th 2010, 2:38 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
I think her daughter has the worst name
{sigh}

Dh is Irish, every female relative is referred to as 'Doll', when dd1 was born, she was nicknamed 'dolly' for a short while......then dd2 came along.....hence the '2'....

....although wtf I'm explaining myself is a bit beyond me........
Old Dec 28th 2010, 3:15 pm
Concierge

{sigh}

Dh is Irish, every female relative is referred to as 'Doll', when dd1 was born, she was nicknamed 'dolly' for a short while......then dd2 came along.....hence the '2'....

....although wtf I'm explaining myself is a bit beyond me........
and you're completely normal after all! welcome
Old Dec 28th 2010, 3:50 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
and you're completely normal after all! welcome
Thank you (although 'normal' may not be strictly accurate....I am here after all.......)
Old Dec 28th 2010, 6:16 pm
Forum Regular

Anyway, I 'fixed' the problem by creating a new gmail email account and changing my email address everywhere....it only took me about 3 hrs . Outlook now working perfectly though
Old Dec 29th 2010, 2:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

thought her name was a gag as Dolly was the cloned sheep