Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Jumeirah Lake Towers....and others

Jumeirah Lake Towers....and others

Old Jan 16th 2011, 11:05 am
Forum Regular

zaaboot is a jewel in the roughzaaboot is a jewel in the roughzaaboot is a jewel in the roughzaaboot is a jewel in the rough
Default Jumeirah Lake Towers....and others

Hello all - I am currently looking (still from the UK) at properties to view next time I am there in February for my pending move in March.

I do have a budget in mind, which covers what I need - this said why are there areas such as JLT/Arabian Ranches/JVC/JVT so cheap - I understand that the Ranches is a fair trek from anywhere of any use, but JLT seems to be next to DIC where my office is located on SZR and very close to other bits and bobs of interest. The apartments there seem to be of ample size and have a decent list of facilities.

Does anyone live in any of these areas? Why are they cheaper then the neighbouring areas? What problems could one face there? and so on....

All help on this would be appreciated as I do not want to move in to dressed up slum when I move out there.

Thanks muchly
Z
Old Jan 16th 2011, 11:14 am
Just Joined

GB1982 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Jumeirah Lake Towers....and others

Im living in JLT and have done for the last 18 months, only real problem is that as of yet there are no real facilities of note there. Slowly but surely they are beginning to open up supermarkets etc.

Hotel (Bonnington) is open with a couple of bars, another 2 hotels to open up later this year.

Also unlike some areas of Dubai AC Fees are not included and need to be paid by the tennant. Ave 2 Bed apt 1400 sqft is around AED300 per month averaged out across the year.
Old Jan 16th 2011, 11:27 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

Only way to understand is to come out and look. JLT is a construction zone. The roads around it are horrendous. The towers may look impressive from a distance but upfront all the towers are isolated from one another on their own separate podiums, so getting from one tower to another tower in a different cluster isn't so easy.

The Greens is much more popular (and expensive) than JLT despite having smaller flats and being on the same side of Sheikh Zayed and opposite the golf course from JLT - because it's complete and walkable and generally easier to get in/out.

I never thought of the Ranches as cheap. If anything it's overpriced. It's the most expensive of the communities in that part of Dubai.

Originally Posted by zaaboot
Hello all - I am currently looking (still from the UK) at properties to view next time I am there in February for my pending move in March.

I do have a budget in mind, which covers what I need - this said why are there areas such as JLT/Arabian Ranches/JVC/JVT so cheap - I understand that the Ranches is a fair trek from anywhere of any use, but JLT seems to be next to DIC where my office is located on SZR and very close to other bits and bobs of interest. The apartments there seem to be of ample size and have a decent list of facilities.

Does anyone live in any of these areas? Why are they cheaper then the neighbouring areas? What problems could one face there? and so on....

All help on this would be appreciated as I do not want to move in to dressed up slum when I move out there.

Thanks muchly
Z
Old Jan 16th 2011, 11:27 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks muchly
Z
JLT or TECOM would be good options of DIC, both are buildings sites, both are high rises, both have limited facilities but you can manage. There is a carrefour at TECOM and a few hotels and access is easier than JLT. Was on JLT today and the drive in does my head in, one massive big circle and you can't avoid it whether you are at the top, you did on way in, or at the bottom end, do it on way out
Old Jan 16th 2011, 11:28 am
Forum Regular

zaaboot is a jewel in the roughzaaboot is a jewel in the roughzaaboot is a jewel in the roughzaaboot is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by GB1982
Im living in JLT and have done for the last 18 months, only real problem is that as of yet there are no real facilities of note there. Slowly but surely they are beginning to open up supermarkets etc.

Hotel (Bonnington) is open with a couple of bars, another 2 hotels to open up later this year.

Also unlike some areas of Dubai AC Fees are not included and need to be paid by the tennant. Ave 2 Bed apt 1400 sqft is around AED300 per month averaged out across the year.

Thanks - but what about the quality of build? All blocks seem to have parking, pools, etc...
3.6k for AC over the year still works out cheaper than a similar sized place at the marina over the same period of time - on a map the marina does not seem far away enough to warrant the difference in price, especially if the block in near the metro then it is just a walk away.

So, other than the AC are you happy there, do you have kids? how do they find it

Cheers
Old Jan 16th 2011, 11:29 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ethos83
Only way to understand is to come out and look. JLT is a construction zone. The roads around it are horrendous. The towers may look impressive from a distance but upfront all the towers are isolated from one another on their own separate podiums, so getting from one tower to another tower in a different cluster isn't so easy.

The Greens is much more popular (and expensive) than JLT despite having smaller flats and being on the same side of Sheikh Zayed and opposite the golf course from JLT - because it's complete and walkable and generally easier to get in/out.

I never thought of the Ranches as cheap. If anything it's overpriced. It's the most expensive of the communities in that part of Dubai.
It is the only community in that part of town, the rest are still building sites. The Greens is OK but nothing to shout about, starting to look a bit like mini Bombay in some buildings. The two new buildings which have opened behind the school have potential though.
Old Jan 16th 2011, 11:30 am
Concierge

Thanks - but what about the quality of build? All blocks seem to have parking, pools, etc...
3.6k for AC over the year still works out cheaper than a similar sized place at the marina over the same period of time - on a map the marina does not seem far away enough to warrant the difference in price, especially if the block in near the metro then it is just a walk away.

So, other than the AC are you happy there, do you have kids? how do they find it

Cheers
the majority of the swimming pools are tiny but more than doable, if you do a search on Indigo Tower JLT, the one right next to the Metro, I would say is a good location compared to some of them. It is next to Lake City I think
Old Jan 16th 2011, 11:34 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
The Greens is OK but nothing to shout about, starting to look a bit like mini Bombay in some buildings. .

JLT is not sounding as good as it does on paper - thanks everyone.

Last edited by zaaboot; Jan 16th 2011 at 11:37 am. Reason: Reason for editing was a lazy question - found the answer on line
Old Jan 16th 2011, 11:35 am
Concierge

JLT is not sounding as good as it does on paper - thanks everyone.

TECOM - I have not seen anything on line for that area - is it findable on dubbizle and would it be labelled TECOM?
yes it would be labelled TECOM and it adjacent to the Greens, on same side and there is an access bridge that takes you practically into DIC
Old Jan 16th 2011, 11:39 am
Forum Regular

yes it would be labelled TECOM and it adjacent to the Greens, on same side and there is an access bridge that takes you practically into DIC
Thanks for your help - very useful info
Old Jan 16th 2011, 12:03 pm
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

I would go for TECOM over JLT. Cracking good deals on a number of apartments in there. You can swing one for around 40K easily. Easy in, easy out. Belgian Beer Cafe has the best beer in Dubai and it's in Tecom.

Thanks for your help - very useful info
Old Jan 16th 2011, 12:20 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Ethos83
Easy in, easy out. Belgian Beer Cafe has the best beer in Dubai and it's in Tecom.
Happy days - Cheers Ethos
Old Jan 16th 2011, 12:25 pm
Concierge

Happy days - Cheers Ethos
I did nearly three years on TECOM and was glad to get out, it has settled down alot now and the roads are nearly finished, look towards the bottom end, behind the Garage, you will see where I mean if you get your hands on a map. KittyKat on here lives in TECOM, I am sure she will be able to offer some advice
Old Jan 16th 2011, 12:38 pm
Forum Regular

I did nearly three years on TECOM and was glad to get out, it has settled down alot now and the roads are nearly finished, look towards the bottom end, behind the Garage, you will see where I mean if you get your hands on a map. KittyKat on here lives in TECOM, I am sure she will be able to offer some advice
Thanks again - looking on the map it is walking distance to office (not that the heat would allow that)

It is a hard decision as with everything else around upping sticks and moving.
I think it is narrowed to down to a few areas - I will check them all out when I am over and take it from there

Z
Old Jan 16th 2011, 1:39 pm
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

A map here in Dubai can be deceptive, even to the tune of interchanges that aren't quite built yet, road layouts that've changed and all kinds.

In a way, it's a bit like areas of London - there's a fine line between Blackheath and Kidbrooke! Saying that, there's nowhere like Kidbrooke here... and nowhere like Blackheath. lol

You really need to come out and decide when you're here. The long list of facilities often is just copy/paste of the sales pitch and should be laughed at, rather than taken as gospel.

JLT is a building site, but the spaces are being filled in month on month. The same goes for the Marina, which has a couple of years more seniority - at least at the Dubai end... as you get further towards Jebel Ali, the more of a building site it becomes, and rents drop accordingly.

Keep your mind open and just visit properties - choose some in areas that you wouldn't have put on your shortlist... you may have a pleasant surprise. Don't worry about wasting agents' time... they'll happily waste yours! I once visited an apartment adn the agent hadn't even bothered checking it out - it turned out it only had one bedroom instead of the two that were advertised... AND she was late!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.